NWI INGO General Post Part 20 - Raccons 4 Life!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Remember the old Cadillac Sevilles?

82_seville_brn_amh_aaca2014.JPG

One time probably 25 years ago I was sitting at a light on Clevelend St in Glen Park, and there was a Seville up ahead in the lane to the right of me. A church bus (passenger minivan) came zooming up fast behind the Seville, and when he realized he wasn't going to stop in time, he tried to go around to the right. He didn't get all the way over, and his left front wheel went up the Seville's trunk like it was a ramp. The van went airborne and flipped a couple times before it landed. Fortunately there were no passengers in the van, and the driver was OK.
    That myst be the car they have parked on the curb in all of the shoot em up movies!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Finally home from 2 fencing events over the last 2 days. I'm home only long enough to clean up, get a meal and sit for a few minutes. Going to pick up our foster son from his grandmother in a couple hours.

Yesterday one of my girls won the Silver Medal in an event with 45 fencers. This girl has huge potential but is only a part time fencer. She keeps muttering silly stuff about needing to study to get good grades so she can go to college. Clearly her priorities are misplaced.

tempImageFwfFYS.jpg

Friday was spent with a former Olympian. He and I get together for multi-club events on a regular basis. He coordinates the space and I invite the fencers and clubs. My club brings scoring equipment and we have private tournaments and practices for the groups of mostly younger fencers who want to get into national level competitions. I also bring some of his students to high school competitions.

Tomorrow I return to 2 a day practices with 2 different fencing clubs. Season is just starting and I am enjoying it, but I do admit by the time February ends I'm happy that the high school season is over and my schedule calms down.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Finally home from 2 fencing events over the last 2 days. I'm home only long enough to clean up, get a meal and sit for a few minutes. Going to pick up our foster son from his grandmother in a couple hours.

Yesterday one of my girls won the Silver Medal in an event with 45 fencers. This girl has huge potential but is only a part time fencer. She keeps muttering silly stuff about needing to study to get good grades so she can go to college. Clearly her priorities are misplaced.

View attachment 167771

Friday was spent with a former Olympian. He and I get together for multi-club events on a regular basis. He coordinates the space and I invite the fencers and clubs. My club brings scoring equipment and we have private tournaments and practices for the groups of mostly younger fencers who want to get into national level competitions. I also bring some of his students to high school competitions.

Tomorrow I return to 2 a day practices with 2 different fencing clubs. Season is just starting and I am enjoying it, but I do admit by the time February ends I'm happy that the high school season is over and my schedule calms down.
    Sounds like your retirement is another form of work.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana

View attachment 167771

I had no idea fencing was alive and well in Indy. I competed in college back in the early 1970s. Still have my foil and mask! Good luck and keep the sport going!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I had no idea fencing was alive and well in Indy. I competed in college back in the early 1970s. Still have my foil and mask! Good luck and keep the sport going!
    There are only a handful of clubs in the state. 2 in Indianapolis, 1 in St John, 1 in Mishawaka and 1 in Lafayette. I'm president of the St John club. www.nwifencingclub.com

There is at least 1 high school team, it is at Culver Military Academy. There might still be an active team at Harrison HS in Lafayette? The Lowell H.S. team shut down about 4 years ago.

I coach Saber. I coach across the state line at the Homewood-Flossmoor HS team in Illinois. I'm also a regular guest coach at Bradley University in Peoria, IL. I also help out at Marian Catholic HS with some of their fencers, but on an unofficial basis.

My Russian foreign exchange student is now a sophomore at Notre Dame, she went undefeated this weekend at the Western Invitational hosted by the Air Force Academy. I've got another kid who is captain of the Lawrence U team and lost 1 bout today at their invitational. Another kid got a fencing scholarship to Sacred Heart who finished in the Top 8 last weekend at a college individual tournament. A Div 1 fencer in Texas who fences Epee, I didn't train him but I helped him get his scholarship and he called me yesterday between his bouts to give me updates! So right now I have 3 Div 1 fencers, all on scholarships and 1 kid at a Div 3 school that fences in Div 1. Plus a bunch at college clubs.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Is that a reward or a punishment? :dunno:
    Yeah. Our shift is at a weird time anyway (11:15-3:45). Too early for lunch before we start and too early for dinner after we're done. We usually spend it on drinks and stuff out of the cooler at the end of the shift and then just take them home. Yogurt, cartons of milk, whatever electrolyte drink they have. 6-8 half-pints of milk is enough to get us through the week.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom