• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    There was a recent finding on long term probiotic use that showed that its a waste of money for the vast majority of people to use probiotics.

There is a small % of the population (I think it was about 10%) that can benefit from probiotic use, but even then those who can be helped need some specific probiotics. Healthy adults don't need them.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180906141640.htm

https://www.sciencealert.com/new-research-declares-probiotics-have-no-effect-on-healthy-adults

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victor...-says-they-may-not-work-for-you/#1c619b1074fb
    Hmmm if I wasn't at work, I might be able to take you up on that debate. There is a plethora of information showing beneficial factors but I am willing to admit that I don't know enough about it to defend it that well. Call it a placebo but I know I feel better when focusing on my gut health but that could also just be positive side effects of focusing on my well being!

Anyway, hope all goes well and you're feeling better soon, actaeon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    being nice to acteon wont get you higher up on the list of guns gifted to you when he passes. ;)

quiet the opposite we need to punch him while he is down.
    but whomever brings him a redhead nurse to help him post-issues will be the true winner.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hmmm if I wasn't at work, I might be able to take you up on that debate. There is a plethora of information showing beneficial factors but I am willing to admit that I don't know enough about it to defend it that well. Call it a placebo but I know I feel better when focusing on my gut health but that could also just be positive side effects of focusing on my well being!

I'm not debating.

My sister is a licensed Naturopath who advocates for probiotics, etc.

As you said there is a lot of information claiming beneficial factors. However, as my sister has admitted to me several times, most of the claims are NOT substantiated by actual long term or statistically significant studies. Most are anecdotal stories about how someone was cured. Others are small samples. Still more seem to pick and choose their data.

These articles just point out a couple of new medical studies, using scientifically significant timelines and relevant sample sizes that seem to be very convincing that, for healthy people, probiotics are a total waste of money and for people with some health issues, then probiotics may be helpful. But as most people are healthy, then the probiotics are a waste. And there are only certain types of illnesses that probiotics seem to be beneficial for treating.

So not debating, just providing some links to current scientific conclusions.

being nice to acteon wont get you higher up on the list of guns gifted to you when he passes. ;)

quiet the opposite we need to punch him while he is down.
    but whomever brings him a redhead nurse to help him post-issues will be the true winner.

Or better yet a dominant S&M 'mistress' who is dressed up in a nurses uniform.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    I'm not debating.

My sister is a licensed Naturopath who advocates for probiotics, etc.

As you said there is a lot of information claiming beneficial factors. However, as my sister has admitted to me several times, most of the claims are NOT substantiated by actual long term or statistically significant studies. Most are anecdotal stories about how someone was cured. Others are small samples. Still more seem to pick and choose their data.

These articles just point out a couple of new medical studies, using scientifically significant timelines and relevant sample sizes that seem to be very convincing that, for healthy people, probiotics are a total waste of money and for people with some health issues, then probiotics may be helpful. But as most people are healthy, then the probiotics are a waste. And there are only certain types of illnesses that probiotics seem to be beneficial for treating.

So not debating, just providing some links to current scientific conclusions.

Or better yet a dominant S&M 'mistress' who is dressed up in a nurses uniform.
    K lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    After a month of antibiotics a while back from back-to-back illnesses, my system was shot. Food would go in then pretty much right out. I started losing weight. Friend recommended probiotics. After 2 days, right as rain. If I go on say a ski trip, my diet isn't the greatest. When I get home it gets me back on track. :twocents:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    After a month of antibiotics a while back from back-to-back illnesses, my system was shot. Food would go in then pretty much right out. I started losing weight. Friend recommended probiotics. After 2 days, right as rain. If I go on say a ski trip, my diet isn't the greatest. When I get home it gets me back on track. :twocents:

And there’s the anecdotal evidence Melensdad was talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    And there’s the anecdotal evidence Melensdad was talking about.

EXACTLY

And once he is healthy is he getting any benefit or is he wasting money?

The studies (2 current) were released very recently. Both basically confirmed, if you are healthy you don't need probiotics and they are nothing more than a waste of money for healthy people.

So Ballstater was sick, used them for 2 days, felt better. Now that he is well what do they do if he continues? That is the crux of the question.

Daily use of probiotics seems to an expensive, unhelpful habit. Sort of like drinking a fine whiskey but without any of the fun parts. Fine whiskey is expensive, so are probiotics. Neither is particularly beneficial to your health on a daily basis. But if you have a cold and drink it in the form of a Hot Toddy, it will lessen the symptoms of the cold and make you feel better. If you have some conditions a probiotic may help you feel better too. But if you don't have a cold, a Hot Toddy isn't actually helpful. If you don't have any of the conditions aided by probiotics then they are not actually aiding your health either.

Science.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So you're back! How you feelin?

Tired cause I didn't get to sleep.

And my butt feels like I've used sand paper to wipe.

But everything checks out okay.

Also, I don't have celiac disease. Good.
    But, bad, cause I still don't know why my vitamins in the blood are off and I'm falling over.

I see my doc next week. Hopefully he'll have something from the blood test.
    Cause the vertigo is what's keeping me from going back to work.

Not the 2 scope jobs I had done. Those were making sure everything healed up nice after last months excitement.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Can't stand up.
    Can't sit down.
    Fun times there.

Normally, I'm off for back pain. And I feel the pain all the time, reminding me why I'm off, and to be careful.

but now, I feel FINE.
    Until I turn to fast, move my head 90 degrees in any x/y/z axis.
    Then I fall over and hurt myself.
    So far, I smacked my ribs pretty good, and my elbow.
    So I feel like I should be going to work. Until I don't.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I think we are going cycling in NWI on Sunday. My wife is talking about the Erie Lackawanna or the Thorn Creek Trails. Any thoughts on these?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom