Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    U live in redneck land where racoons and coyotes live.
    If i lived in that area yes i would have a ng genny and a backup gas portable genny as well. You are not in an area nipsco considered you a priority as its too few of you per square mile. So the nipsco crews will get to u when they get to you.

Their job, and i use to intern for them back in college, is to send the crews where they can restore the largeest num of power of people. If they get to a site and only 10 folks will get power but the crew at site b has 100 people without power and that other cree needs help the first crew is going to drop site a and go to site b.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Ive got a genny, but dont tend to break that out unless i have to. Nipsco had us up and running in an hour n half so it worked out fairly well. Definitely was nice that the temps were rising outside and didnt need the furnace
    Same here. Only comes on after 4 hour without power. Only run it enough to charge batteries, run furnace or a/c and fridge.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Battery backup sump.
    Small propane heaters can deal with frozen pipes along with letting water continue to run.

But as klb eluded its a level of insurance.
    You only need basic liablity to drive your car.
    Yet many of us have more coverage then that cause we want that peace of mind. For me having had to deal with both gas whole house genny and the portable heaters route.

North of us30 im not investing in genny anymore.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Battery backup sump.
    Small propane heaters can deal with frozen pipes along with letting water continue to run.

But as klb eluded its a level of insurance.
    You only need basic liablity to drive your car.
    Yet many of us have more coverage then that cause we want that peace of mind. For me having had to deal with both gas whole house genny and the portable heaters route.

North of us30 im not investing in genny anymore.
    If you have an active sump pump you’d be lucky to have a hour on those battery. I’m not try to argue/change your think but there is a hole lot more to consider. Also are you going to keep flushing your toilet to keep that from freezing too? Do you know how to make that toilet run with out wasting to much water? There’s a lot more to all this but to each their own.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Now Jedi you can't involve the raccoons in all this. They have been at your place enjoying the lights and warmth and of course your food and drink...

We have moved so many of them to your place it is like a new community of little fury black masked critters .

A raccoon safe space.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Jedi doth protest to much! He is actually a raccoon lover.

CeS3OrrUkAAc7AI.jpg

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Anecdotal story for you guys ... Last week, towards the end of the super cold snap, we get a call for help. It seems that this lady (I'm guessing single mom) goes to visit family for about a week. She decides to save some money so she shuts off her heat for the 4-5 days she will be gone. Same week that we had sub-zero lows and single digit highs. She gets back and turns her heat back on. Within the hour, all the ceilings in her basement start collapsing under a cascade of water. She couldn't understand what happened. We tried to explain it to her but I am not sure she got it. Had to tell her about her cracked toilets too. Btw, she did save some money on heating over the week.
    I've found people that grew up down south, or always lived in an apartment don't understand about frozen pipes. Schools have had tremendous damage and they should have at least one that knew better up north.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219

Liquor sales on Sunday! What is the world coming to? Pretty soon the Amish will drive cars, Baptists will dance in public and Jedi will marry a raccoon! It will be a gay raccoon. But it will be a raccoon never the less.
    Funny how people have been asking for sunday sales and cold beer sales for years, but it was never a priority for congress or something that was looked at. But now that the IABR and the grocery lobby have come to their own agreement the bill has made it out of committee. I read an article on it, and the speaker or the committee chair said that the IABR and grocery agreement had nothing to do with the bill going to the floor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And about battery powered sumps..
    Yes, they don't last very long.

A generator will be better in the long run.

Even better, a natural gas powered, with auto start and switch.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom