• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Unless your fortune is better than mine, these afore mentioned rifles are higher graded rifles that can be found under $250 per. There are tons out there that look like they went 6 rounds with a beaver if you want to do some work.

To those of you that could have bought a case for $5 and a ride on the trolley, how does hindsight feel? Ya never know.

I'll have you know my hindsight is perfect.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    View attachment 48040

Built glock girl an aquaponic garden this year. Late start to planting but the tomatoes a d cucumber plants are growing strong and our basil and lettuce root systems are quite advanced in the deep water culture. I hope this storm doesn't take out the greenhouse...

Nice job there. Will the plants stay there all summer? Or will they be moved to a more outdoor setting?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    WD, I appreciate your giving me crap.... What are friends for anyway...

CTC, I had some other work done at a local garage and asked them to replace the fuel filter while they were at it. They said it was too rusted up to disconnect the filter without breaking the line. They said it would be best to replace the filter and line which would require dropping the tank to do... Sooooo I figure if I'm paying for the line to be replaces with the filter and the tank has to be dropped to do it I might as well get the sender unit replaced while it is down. What started this is I have hard starts. If you go to turn the engine on it cranks for a little while and then finally starts. If you turn the electronics on for about 10 seconds and then crank it over it starts right up. From what I watched on youtube it is too big of a job for me...

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    Nice job there. Will the plants stay there all summer? Or will they be moved to a more outdoor setting?

It's an experiment. Not 100% sure how things will work out but the plan is to leave them there. They have been growing real well even on the hot days, been 100f in greenhouse at leat once. System water temp staying below 84f helps. No soil. Expanded clay balls used for growing media. Fish to come very soon

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    It's an experiment. Not 100% sure how things will work out but the plan is to leave them there. They have been growing real well even on the hot days, been 100f in greenhouse at leat once. System water temp staying below 84f helps. No soil. Expanded clay balls used for growing media. Fish to come very soon

What role do the fish play? Nitrogen?

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    What role do the fish play? Nitrogen?

They add ammonia to the water via waste. Good bacteria turns the ammonia into nitrates which is the nutrient source for the vegetables. The vegetables extract the nitrates and the water returns to the fish clean. That's basically how it works. Right now I am adding pure ammonia to the water to replicate the fish waste until the bacteria is fully colonized naturally which will lower the ammonia and nitrite levels making the water safe for fish. Just like if you were to set up an aquarium.]

Basil roots

Clay ball media grow beds

Tomatoes

Cucumber pulling itself up

We started planting super late. This project was way more time consuming than I had predicted, and it started out as a much more simple project then snowballed into this.... didn't help
    We planted out the middle grow bed today finally

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    They add ammonia to the water via waste. Good bacteria turns the ammonia into nitrates which is the nutrient source for the vegetables. The vegetables extract the nitrates and the water returns to the fish clean. That's basically how it works. Right now I am adding pure ammonia to the water to replicate the fish waste until the bacteria is fully colonized naturally which will lower the ammonia and nitrite levels making the water safe for fish. Just like if you were to set up an aquarium.]
    Basil roots

Clay ball media grow beds

Tomatoes

Cucumber pulling itself up

We started planting super late. This project was way more time consuming than I had predicted, and it started out as a much more simple project then snowballed into this.... didn't help
    We planted out the middle grow bed today finally

That's a very nice installation. I'm familiar with the Nitrogen cycle from my planted tank days. It's an interesting process for sure.

One of my planted tanks:

DSCN1772.jpg

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    Like I said I am adding pure ammonia and that is it. We have been testing our water every few days and our nitrates are 10-20 ppm, nitrites 5 ppm, and low ammonia levels. So far everything is doing well. I'm sure there are trace minerals we will need to be adding but nothing as of now.

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky

Some little Romaine sprouting up in the deep water culture. In the back is some lettuce that we just harvested 3 days ago and it's sprouting up again. Basil again on the left

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    HD96heritage, You should check out Green Acres in Valpo. It's a hydroponics farm and it is quite elaborate. The guy that runs it is full of information, he has spoke at two different Live Free preppers meets and loves sharing the process of growing both fish and vegetables.

WD, the calls begin today to shops to figure out how much this is going to cost...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Some diy type of guys are cutting holes in the floor and doing the fuel pumps from the top. FWIW 1/2 ton Subs have different fuel systems than 3/4 tons and both are different than pickups. The senders and pumps are a common problem and once the holes are cut in the floor redoing the pumps is supposed to be much easier and can be done on the side of the road rather than a big shop job. 3/4 tons have 2 fuel tanks with 2 senders and pumps and I believe the half tons do also. I also have a Sub and will be cutting my floor out in the near future to swap out both pumps and sending units. I would look into the fuel pressure regulator as the culprit for long cranking before swapping out the pumps. When the regulator is bad it can leak down the pressure which has to be built back up with the long cranking times.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Butch, What are they sealing up the holes with to keep road crap and water out of the inside of the Suburban. Kind of peeks my interest...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom