• Status
    Not open for further replies.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Was this around 2:00 P. M. this afternoon south of Shelby? Saw the black smoke from Belshaw and Clark.

yes

Hey ... since you have already run into this twice now, here's something brief and not too technical about "flow path." It's a quick summary about stuff that UL learned in regards to flow path and how introducing ventilation to a ventilation limited fire (the type you described) could actually decrease survivability for victims inside a structure.

Here's a video that demonstrates the introduction of ventilation into a ventilation limited fire.

Good stuff ...

As long as you are doing this ... you should go ahead pick up an application for your local fire department and get paid. :)

will check these out.

and again, just to paint a picture, by time we were breaking glass, the attic/soffit above us was already turning black and belching out smoke. thats how engulfed the house already was. very small house

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    A fire consumes all the air in there so if the fire was far enough along anything living was probably unconscious. Not that I have experienced one but from reading about a house fire I guess the first rule if you wake up in one you should assess what is happening while laying flat on the bed because if it is a fire you don't want to sit up and breath in. Your going to die because there isn't any breathable air above about 2 or 3 feet off the floor... Role off the bed and crawl out...

Sorry to hear of your neighbors lost...

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    This plastic furniture and such makes viability so terrible. I am told there was a time where everyone had wooden furniture with almost no plastics in them, and smoke was grayish, not this black soot filled smoke we see today. Still no matter what you do on a fire scene, it is almost never good enough for the people who own the home/property. Sometimes I am glad I am not a volunteer anymore.

I'm easy to please. If my house catches fire, I'll thank you to just leave it alone. I'd rather start over than fix a half burned shell. Oh and there is the issue that I reload. You may just want to stay away anyway. :scared:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Smokeless powder burns.... Now black powder is another thing all together...

Ammo just sitting in a fire just pops, very close to the fire may deliver some pieces of brass but the lead is all going to be sitting in the fire that popped the rounds off. A loaded gun might be a problem...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm not sure how much would be too much but I commonly pull down un-known reloads and use the rest of the components besides the powder. The powder gets burned in the back yard... Normally has a nice blue flame to it and kind of sizzles....

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    When my neighbors (bedridden single amputee on oxygen) house burned, I knew exactly where she was in the house, I broke in the front door and tried to get the twelve feet to her. I got about three or four feet in the door and had to hit the floor and crawl back out. The heat and smoke were so intense I nearly panicked. When I got out I slammed the door shut to cut off oxygen.

I got on the phone and demanded they hurry, but the professional GFD took over half an hour to make the six blocks.

When a house across the street was ablaze it took nearly an hour for them to respond, and a half hour after that to connect to the hydrant and start fighting the fire. They basically let it burn to the ground.

I really have a lot of respect for fire fighters, volunteer and professional. I just happen to live in lovely Gary, Indiana.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    On a last minute "wth", we hit the Railcats game Friday night. Pretty warm but the breeze made it easily doable. They were barely checking tickets at the gate, and there was definately no wanding or checking of bags going on...:yesway:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    When my neighbors (bedridden single amputee on oxygen) house burned, I knew exactly where she was in the house, I broke in the front door and tried to get the twelve feet to her. I got about three or four feet in the door and had to hit the floor and crawl back out. The heat and smoke were so intense I nearly panicked. When I got out I slammed the door shut to cut off oxygen.

I got on the phone and demanded they hurry, but the professional GFD took over half an hour to make the six blocks.

When a house across the street was ablaze it took nearly an hour for them to respond, and a half hour after that to connect to the hydrant and start fighting the fire. They basically let it burn to the ground.

I really have a lot of respect for fire fighters, volunteer and professional. I just happen to live in lovely Gary, Indiana.

Hey, BF. I didn't know you lived in Gary. Lovely place. I worked there for 30 years. Still working there two days a week for the summer.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Hey ... since you have already run into this twice now, here's something brief and not too technical about "flow path." It's a quick summary about stuff that UL learned in regards to flow path and how introducing ventilation to a ventilation limited fire (the type you described) could actually decrease survivability for victims inside a structure.

Here's a video that demonstrates the introduction of ventilation into a ventilation limited fire.

Good stuff ...

As long as you are doing this ... you should go ahead pick up an application for your local fire department and get paid. :)
    Totally makes me re-think my furniture choices.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    ok computer geeks ... I need a recommendation for a replacement UPS. At the very least, what should I stay away from? I just need something to keep things running long enough to save stuff and power down. Oh yeah, decent surge protection would be nice too.

???
    You may be able to replace the battery in the old one. But sometimes a new one is cheaper. FYI: don't plug a laser printer into it. speaking of, is your printer fixed?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Run time depends on all the loads plugged in.
    If you know how much power your computer is drawing, there will either be a chart, or you can calculate it.
    That will only give an approximation.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The board got fixed but the original problem did not get fixed. It still will not print black. Tried all the YouTube solutions to clean the heads but ... no luck. It will not print black.

Bought a new printer.

Anyone want to take a shot at getting it to print? ... let me know.

Thanks! What do I look for on the box that will tell me the "run time" and how much protection would seem reasonable for the surge protection (joules)?
    Find out how many total Watts will be used for the devices you want to put on it ,and how long you want it to run them. Then this link will give you a calculator telling you which products fit your needs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom