Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    They have plastic gears and other assorted parts in them and if it is a inkjet the heads have a usable life span till they will fail to print properly. The printers in the 75 to 250 range are these disposable printers I speak of... Just letting you know before you get too deep in the expense of possibly fixing the printer. Just so you know a bench tech is normally between 60 and 90 a hour for something like that, some numbers to help assess the job.. Hope you are able to get it back running anyways...

GB we ain al ric lik u.

When I got out of the Army in 76, (the first time) I worked for IBM. They developed the first ink jet printer, it was the size of a very large copying machine and cost $5000.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Blue Falcon, They were really expensive back in the day but now the ink is more expensive than the printer in most cases. Now when you break in to the large format and professional grade photo printers you get into some expensive stuff... Laserjets have even come down a lot except for the do it all business center type office printers. The other issue with the dang cheaper printers is that they don't make available replacement gears and other parts that readily break when someone try's to clear a jam. They just figure you will buy a new one because between shipping, and repair costs your almost as expensive as a new printer...

Wasn't trying to be a *** but I've seen someone dump money into getting their printer fixed and had twice the printers worth tied up in it with a realization that they would have to replace the broken one 2 months later because of normal wear.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can repair it, AFTER I get the Post finances caught up. I'll put off the A/C repair, since this repair shouldn't take that long.
    If you don't mind waiting a few days.

Only problem is, I'm working evenings starting tomorrow.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    GB, I hear what you're saying but I was basing my response on the fact that my first printer lasted almost 12 years. I would still be using it if they hadn't stopped supporting it with software and ink cartridges.

I just don't feel like running out and spending $150+ when all that needs to happen is soldering a little part back on.

BTW, I did check and you weren't kidding. Repair fees start at $85 just to look at it.

And that was the PROBLEM right there! You, like myself included bought those older QUALITY printers and have resisted upgrading since they work, do the job well and continue ticking. Problem is the "new" HPs of the world don't get any money off that. :)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    WD, You can try Computerbay in Schererville down the street from the Police Dept. They have a bench tech there, and they are also company rated for a couple different printer manufacturers for repairs. You could also look around for a HAM operator, most of those guys are pretty good with a soldering iron...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Snap i DID mean it that way.

Btw thugs be on the alert i just saw the snob in highland!!!
    He had a wasr with him but no ammo.
    Tisk, tisk.. How does he expect to do a drive by like that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom