trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Quality company.
    Quality rifle.
    Mostly just historical, and cool. If I ever get started on black powder, I'd want to buy a Whitworth.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharps_rifle

What do you mean actaeon's crush?
    That's me.
    Can't you tell?

Huh. Interesting.
    I got an black powder Pietta 1851 navy revolver over the holidays. I don't have any of the stuff for it yet, but I'm kinda excited about getting what I need and trying it out!

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    [video=youtube_share;h6IzxJi33QE]http://youtu.be/h6IzxJi33QE[/video]

Finaly put a velcro side saddle on my 870. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    For your wife bill.

[video=youtube;BudQ9YWx0X8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BudQ9YWx0X8[/video]

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    So freaking done with the facial book tonight.
    The only thing worse than the whining about whatever, is the blind support some people have for their presidential candidates.

I realize the irony that I'm essentially whining about people on the internet, to people on the internet.

At least INGO gets me.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    So freaking done with the facial book tonight.
    The only thing worse than the whining about whatever, is the blind support some people have for their presidential candidates.

I realize the irony that I'm essentially whining about people on the internet, to people on the internet.

At least INGO gets me.
    People. What can you do with them? Share :bacondance:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You peeked my interest and after visiting your FB I don't see any of this drama you speak off... I always miss the good stuff....

So I think one of my big ammo cans must have a leak in the bottom of it, like a seam leak... As I dug out the surplus boxes of Argentine 308 brass cased ammo I have discovered their not going straight into the belts as they have blueish corrosion on a lot of them. Their only from like 82.... One more step before it's all ready to hit a range...

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I finish flipping through the latest Natchez catalog and do a double take. It is addressed to the wife. :dunno:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    You peeked my interest and after visiting your FB I don't see any of this drama you speak off... I always miss the good stuff....

So I think one of my big ammo cans must have a leak in the bottom of it, like a seam leak... As I dug out the surplus boxes of Argentine 308 brass cased ammo I have discovered their not going straight into the belts as they have blueish corrosion on a lot of them. Their only from like 82.... One more step before it's all ready to hit a range...

There was no real drama to speak of, just need a break from that particular brand of stupidity.

I wish I had piles of argentine 7.62 laying around...

I have been using the 7.62 from valmart and it shows promise. I tried both the ZQI and the Perfecta brand and found it to compare well to the boxes of Canadian M-80 thy I have. Shooting out to the 200 at winamac with my M1A NM I can see no discernible difference in performance. My 168 grain (M-852 clone) loads perform better, but handloads often do or else what's the point.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Joe, that ZQ stuff seems to run good in the FAL, I'll have a chance hopefully this weekend to run some of that, some of the Argentine stuff and some mixed belts of herters and tula steel cased 308 through the 1919A6... Not sure if I'll have a chance to load up some of the steel core stuff or not yet...

How do you like that M1A ? I'm still trying to get the CETME a new home to get closer at buying a M1A Precision hopefully...

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Joe, that ZQ stuff seems to run good in the FAL, I'll have a chance hopefully this weekend to run some of that, some of the Argentine stuff and some mixed belts of herters and tula steel cased 308 through the 1919A6... Not sure if I'll have a chance to load up some of the steel core stuff or not yet...

How do you like that M1A ? I'm still trying to get the CETME a new home to get closer at buying a M1A Precision hopefully...

I've shot that herters stuff too, and other than a POI shift from M-80, it groups okay considering the $7.99 price tag.

If you're looking for precision honestly your money is better spent elsewhere. The gas system of the M1A really limits it from using the best loadings. That coupled with all of the other accurizing needed to make a precision gun, and when you're talking about one expensive rifle that performs mediocre at best. Remember this is coming from someone who loves the M1A, you just have to be realistic. Do you want an M1A or do you want a precision rifle?

My experience this far has shown me that I can generally hold 2.5 to 3 MOA through the unsupported positions (standing, kneeling, etc.) at 100 and 200 yards with MY M1A. Off of a bag I can get that rifle down to a hair over 1.5 MOA (personal best, so far) with my best loads on a dead calm day, when the planets align, and Cassiopeia is visible. 1.5 MOA is great at 200 yards (for me) but 1.5 @ 200 does not a precision rifle make.

Then again, I'm still relearning/learning the game and with a few exceptions, doing better every time I go out. What I need is a longer range and more suitable equipment. Not that I can't run what I brung, but anything worth doing is worth doing right.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Thanks Joe... honesty is what I was looking for...

I've been looking for a semi auto to equal my Remington 700 PSS and so that is what brought me to the M1A... My reloads and Federal GM 168 BTHP factory do much better than that... Maybe I'll just update the Remy...

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Thanks Joe... honesty is what I was looking for...

I've been looking for a semi auto to equal my Remington 700 PSS and so that is what brought me to the M1A... My reloads and Federal GM 168 BTHP factory do much better than that... Maybe I'll just update the Remy...

I think what happens is most people invest their egos into their equipment. Obviously these rifles ain't cheap so I think people may exaggerate the capabilities a bit so it doesn't sound like they either got boned or can't shoot. Because of this you get a lot of sub-MOA shooters on the Internet. I'm here to say sub-MOA at distance is hard, man.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I used to try to be a precision shooter. My understanding is that you will never get the best accuracy with an automatic. I didn't say full-automatic (for trolls). A closed bolt will give you the beat accuracy.

That being said I want an M1A.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think what happens is most people invest their egos into their equipment. Obviously these rifles ain't cheap so I think people may exaggerate the capabilities a bit so it doesn't sound like they either got boned or can't shoot. Because of this you get a lot of sub-MOA shooters on the Internet. I'm here to say sub-MOA at distance is hard, man.

Joe you do better with your M1 than I do. But mine is not one of the marksman style. I have the shorter SOCOM 18, clearly mine is not geared toward long range.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom