• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Jay perhaps the next time we meet at klbs.
    For now son needs to read and get another 2 As on his spelling before another range trip happens.
    Kid is testing at 3rd grade marh he is in 2nd but refues to read and do spelling. Gggrrr

Find what he likes and get simple books, even comic books, on that topic.

If he likes guns, archery, outdoors, etc find some old BOYS LIFE magazines. . .
    If he likes space exploration find some comics on rocket ships . . .

Etc . . .

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Why do good natural gas BBQ grills cost $1750 to $4000?

I can buy all new stainless steel internal parts for my existing grill for about $500 (burners, vaporizer plates, grates) and new brass valves for about $100 if I buy them all from the manufacturer.

But if I buy them from other grill suppliers I can get all the same parts for HALF THE PRICE.

So why the hell do these grill cost so damn much in the first place?

I can't believe that the stainless steel bodies on these grills are worth over $1000. :soapbox:

Looks like I will just rebuild my grill and save a bundle.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Buy a less expensive propane grill and buy the adapter kit for about $60. Or maybe you'll need two kits if you have lots of burners. That's what I did with ours.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Buy a less expensive propane grill and buy the adapter kit for about $60. Or maybe you'll need two kits if you have lots of burners. That's what I did with ours.

Of the 3 burners, only 1 of the valves is bad. If I did what you suggest I would have to scrap the entire manifold assembly instead of just replacing a single brass control valve ($40). The rest of the money I outlined above would replace all the other internal to essentially turn this into a brand new grill. So for about $300 I can replace the 'guts' of my $2000 stainless steel built in natural gas grill.

Not sure buying a cheaper propane grill, and a converter kit, could actually get me under $300 and probably couldn't do it without a bunch of modifications to either those parts or my existing grill. BUT if the inquiry to the parts suppliers I checked come back as 'out of stock' or worse yet 'unavailable' on the valve then I may have to do something drastic.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    38 Special - 158 gr FMJ .38 cal In Stock by Armscor - 1500 Rounds - Ammo-for-sale

Anyone every try these? I'm looking for something for my Gp100 so I can push magnum pressures as I try to fine tune a 357 load for it, but not break the bank. I've been using the xtreme 158gr 38'/357's with no issues and good results for my skill level. I've read somewhere you shouldn't push plated bullets into magnum territory.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    38 Special - 158 gr FMJ .38 cal In Stock by Armscor - 1500 Rounds - Ammo-for-sale

Anyone every try these? I'm looking for something for my Gp100 so I can push magnum pressures as I try to fine tune a 357 load for it, but not break the bank. I've been using the xtreme 158gr 38'/357's with no issues and good results for my skill level. I've read somewhere you shouldn't push plated bullets into magnum territory.

Are you opposed to cast lead? I use cast lead in .357 and .44 with good results, though I can't say I have tried to push them to max pressures.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Of the 3 burners, only 1 of the valves is bad. If I did what you suggest I would have to scrap the entire manifold assembly instead of just replacing a single brass control valve ($40). The rest of the money I outlined above would replace all the other internal to essentially turn this into a brand new grill. So for about $300 I can replace the 'guts' of my $2000 stainless steel built in natural gas grill.

Not sure buying a cheaper propane grill, and a converter kit, could actually get me under $300 and probably couldn't do it without a bunch of modifications to either those parts or my existing grill. BUT if the inquiry to the parts suppliers I checked come back as 'out of stock' or worse yet 'unavailable' on the valve then I may have to do something drastic.

I'm in the opposite boat. Got a cheap $200 grill about 5 years ago from a work incentive. The burners and "tents" are about rusted through, and the grates aren't in the best of shape either. To replace all the parts would run me damn near $150+. Looking into a new grill for next year. Kenmore Elite and Weber Genesis are on the short list right now.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Are you opposed to cast lead? I use cast lead in .357 and .44 with good results, though I can't say I have tried to push them to max pressures.

When I first started I bought some lead for my 45 and then found xtereme's website and decided I would rather have the piece of mind of plated or jacketed.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I'm in the opposite boat. Got a cheap $200 grill about 5 years ago from a work incentive. The burners and "tents" are about rusted through, and the grates aren't in the best of shape either. To replace all the parts would run me damn near $150+. Looking into a new grill for next year. Kenmore Elite and Weber Genesis are on the short list right now.
    FWIW we bought a weber genesis a couple years ago and LOVE IT! a good friend has a jenn-aire and it's really really nice as well.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well my parts are on order.

Looked up the current grill from the same manufacturer that is pretty much equivalent to what I bought nearly a decade ago and it is running right about $2000 from several authorized suppliers (and that is AFTER they discounted the price). So my grill has apparently gone up a pretty fair amount since I bought it.

Spent a bit more time on the grill after those posts and it does not look like I need to replace the anti-flare plates. They are rusty (despite the fact that they are made of stainless steel!?!) but they are thick and structurally sound. Should last for quite a bit longer than I originally thought. The 2 burner units are showing their age ... one is a little worse than the other. But both can go for another season.

So it looks like I just need to do a good cleaning and replace 1 valve and it should be good to go.

And by good cleaning I mean a serious take the grill apart, soak the bits in EZ OFF and probably hit them with the pressure washer too. But other than a lot of grime, I think I may have gotten off pretty cheap. The stainless steel shell components of the grill are all in great shape, dirty from the weather, but no signs of rust, wear, abuse or anything else. There are 2 thingss that don't work on the grill that I'm not worried about. 1 is the thermometer, the other is the electric starter. On other grills those same parts seem to fail after a few years and I can get along without either one so no need to mess with those.

My grill is an "American Outdoor Grill" and its the best I've had. We've burned out a Charmglow, destroyed a Dukane (I'd NEVER recommend that brand), ruined a Weber and threw away an expensive Phoenix that was not worth the hype or the cost.

If I were to buy another Weber, and I would, it would not be the Genesis, it would be a Weber Summit model. But honestly I'd look at another American Outdoor Grill first.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I've been fixing my $200 sears grill for 20 years (nat gas).
    It gave up the ghost this year.
    Hoping to buy a nice one this time. Whenever this contract stuff works out.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've been fixing my $200 sears grill for 20 years (nat gas).
    It gave up the ghost this year.
    Hoping to buy a nice one this time. Whenever this contract stuff works out.

A $200 grill purchased 20 years ago was probably considered a pretty expensive grill back then, and adjusted for inflation, probably would be the equivalent of a fairly pricy grill today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom