Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Whenever I bought technically or mechanically complex equipment I always had the supplier set it up and get it running. They got final payments after it worked. Incentive for them to get it right the first time, typically than doing an in-house install that requires a long learning curve by people who have never worked with that specific equipment before.

But as Jedi is a government worker I wouldn't expect him to be involved in approving or installing anything efficiently.

But you don't work for a large corporation (or government).
    A person signs off on the job, and that person has no clue if it's done, or done right.
    So, since the job is signed off, the contractor gets paid.

We hired Westinghouse, a pretty big, supposedly reputable company to revamp the instrumentation on an entire "Coke Oven Battery".
    Job get's signed off, Westinghouse goes away.
    They were hired, cause some loon determined it would be "cheaper" than doing it "in-house".
    So, after Westinghouse rode off into the sunset, my group get's a call. Then another. Then another. And it keeps going.
    Multiple problems. Hardwired, designed problems.

Conduit run too close to heat sources. Melting cables.

Certain valves fail open or shut, depending on what you buy. And you install them with a certain reasoning.
    You usually want natural gas valves to fail shut.
    You usually want cooling water valves to fail open.
    etc.
    The installed valves were all of one type. They were wired to "appear" to fail in the correct position. But they didn't.

Use of brass parts/valves in an atmosphere that rots brass in months. Because it was cheaper than stainless steel.

Instrumentation that was designed by a drunk.
    We get a call, because Production is tired of trying to read a meter. The problem. To read the meter, you had to take the display, divide by 3, and subtract 60. Who the heck does that? You want a meter to read 10 mm H20 Pressure, you make it read 10. No calculation.

And the list goes on.

So, we were able to keep the conduit they ran, just having to move some.
    We ripped out the wiring to wire it right.
    We replaced/switched/rebuilt valves as necessary. (large control valves worth 10s of thousands apiece).
    We reprogrammed instrumentation and displays.

So, my company paid a contractor to do the job.
    Then they paid us to undo the job.
    then they paid us to do the job.
    then they had to buy new equipment because the installed equipment was designed for someplace like a chocolate factory. Not resistant to weather or corrosion.

And yet they crowed about how cheap Westinghouse did it, and how much money they saved.

I have hundreds of stories similar.
    Most recent involves a camera job that cost more than when we wired the entire building.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    We usually make sure a year of service is included in the price.

I have a blank canvas for the mancave. The wife wants to frame it tomorrow. I want to pour a rat wall as we have no sump pump.

The microwave blows the circuit breaker when the gas oven is on. I'm gonna rewire that brand new bought and paid for wiring job.

Started building the under cabinet lighting. This is gonna take a while.

I stopped at cabelas today. Walked out with a new Lyman case trimmer.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    9 mile stretch, does anyone have any insight why it is taking so long? When is it supposed to be done? When I come home from work via 65 it takes almost 10 minutes longer to get home due to the construction. It seems like weeks since they have done anything.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I heard November as well.... I dont think it should be taking that long..... With as fast as the first third of the stretch was done, and that was even with some super wet weather too..... Its been dry for weeks.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I heard November as well.... I dont think it should be taking that long..... With as fast as the first third of the stretch was done, and that was even with some super wet weather too..... Its been dry for weeks.
    Have you seen the weather for this week? Getting close to the end of construction season and need to stretch the work out to last.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Went to look at paint samples.

Looked at (what seemed like) 100 paint chips, all of which looked pretty much the same to my eye. The lovely Mrs_Bob picks one, we have a mini-sample made up and bring it home. I paint the corner of the bathroom, lay out some tile pieces.

Preliminary opinion from Bob: "Looks fine to me"

Preliminary opinon from the lovely Mrs_Bob: "Wow, not what I expected .........
    .............. ........... and ............ oh, with the light ............
    ......... really not what .......... wow ............. uh, no, I don't think ............."

So at what time may I begin drinking on Labor Day?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Paint always dries darker than you think it will look. When we moved here, I wanted to paint the kitchen a pale pink. Picked out a color, put it on the wall, and it looked like Pepto Bismol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom