Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    That's gonna be a sweet ride!

I was breaking clays all day.
    Brick_machine_of_Advanced_technical_of_JZK_series_double_vacuum_extruder_hollow_bricks_making_ma.jpg

My basement is covered in pink dust. It looks like Jedi's mancave.
    a7eded999771d6efce07249a6fd57e10.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Apparently there is a religion out there known as Pastafarianism, and its loyal followers are allowed to wear their spaghetti strainers on their heads for drivers license photos.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Switching my landline telephone to VoiP internet based phone. Got the Ooma Telo Air telephone system in yesterday.

Ooma => #1 Ranked Free Internet Phone Service | Ooma VoIP Phone They do have a deal if anyone else wants to buy it, if I 'refer' you you get the hardware for $99 and I get a $20 bill credit.

Ooma claims to be voted the #1 ranked system for 4 years in a row. Cost was $109 for all the hardware, its a one time fee. There is a small monthly fee (about $4) which is actally all TAXES imposed for telecom service. Currently I pay over $72 a month to AT&T, which is freaking outrageous considering how little I actually use a landline phone! So I figure I'll save over $850 a year.

Set up was fairly easy. Would have been easier if I had realized I put the instructions in my pocket. Looked all over the house twice for the instructions. Found them in my shirt pocket after going up and down the stairs a few times, searched the kitchen, dinette, bedrooms, etc. I must be really old?

Anyway, once I actually sat down with it, it was pretty simple. You log onto the computer and register your Ooma, fill in a few basics like your address, credit card, blah blah blah.

For 9-1-1 emergency service you switch ot the Ooma service, which probably links to your local 9-1-1- service through an intermediary? Not really sure, but appears that way.

You get a new phone # with Ooma. Actually you get 2. I dunno why. I don't care either. You also get the option of keeping your old phone number, but that costs $39. I took that option, its much easier than trying to remember all the people & businesses that use that number and notifying them. Downside of "porting" your old number to Ooma is that it can take 3 to 4 weeks to move your phone number. So now I have 2 Ooma phone numbers and 1 AT&T phone number. My plan is to simply not use the Ooma until I get notified by Ooma that the "porting" of my AT&T number is going into effect (they notify you 1 day in advance) and then I'll simply plug the Ooma into my phone jacks and let it work as it should.

In testing, so far, Ooma seems to be great. But granted the testing has been very limited.

I'm curious how well it will work in a storm, or how well it will work while streaming a Netflix or AmazonPrime movie. Ooma claims that it prioritizes the data (somehow) so that the phone gets higher priority of bandwidth? Or something like that. Not really sure, don't really care, just curious. We tend to PAUSE movies when we get phone calls so probably not an issue anyway.

Looking forward to saving money. Hated payinig AT&T a shade over $72.00 for basic service that I virtually never used. But didn't want to totally eliminate a LANDLINE telephone either. So now I will pay about $4 a month for the same thing that I probably still won't use.

BUT ONE THING THAT SEEMS TO BE SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER with the Ooma is its ability to connect my Cellular Phone to my home phones. Under the old system when getting a cellphone call my cellphone connected to 1/2 of the cordless phones in our house. Under Ooma, if a cell call comes in, IN THEORY, it will connnect up to ALL the cordless phones in the house, the cordless phone out at the pool, and the 2 cordless phones in my remote garage/workshop. I say "in theory" because I have not tested that feature yet, but it seems very straight forward and seems to work with any brand/type of cordless phone.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I had VOIP phone once.

HATED it.

Granted this was early 00's but it was like talking over a crappy cell phone, when I wanted to not be talking on my crappy cell phone, but instead be talking on a stable land line.

I'm sure it's improved in 15 years but I've not found a need to add a land line of any kind.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Cabelas had a good deal on shotgun shells.

You may have to disconnect the at&t connection coming into your house. That's what I always did when plugging a viop service in to activate all the jacks in the house. I had them remove the overhead line as well. Until AT&T starts running fiber to homes, I consider them obsolete.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I had VOIP phone once.

HATED it.

Granted this was early 00's but it was like talking over a crappy cell phone, when I wanted to not be talking on my crappy cell phone, but instead be talking on a stable land line.

I'm sure it's improved in 15 years but I've not found a need to add a land line of any kind.
    And honestly I am somewhat worried about voice quality but we rarely use our landline. Typically its an incoming call from my sister-in-law or someone trying to sell me something. I will use the landline instead of the cellphone for outgoing calls ... but I rarely call out from home more than 1 or 2 times a month.

My need for a landline includes my alarm system and the fact that I live too far from cell towers to have a reliable signal. I'm living in a proverbial "black hole" as far as cell signals go. People come over to visit and can't figure out why they can't get/make calls!!!

Our att is voip....no issues except I'm paying too much.
    My brother uses Comcast's VoiP and he says that it is good MOST of the time and also complains he is paying too much.

I'm trying to simplify my bills, eliminate bills that I don't actually need. Little over a year ago I cut my Dish Network bill by roughly 50%, think I'd like to explore ways to cut even more off what I pay ($82/month currently). We seem to use Netflix and AmazonPrime video far more frequently than ever before. But I am far enough out that we get crappy Over-The-Air reception for the local Chicago area news so I keep Dish and mainly watch local news and a handful of channels.

You may have to disconnect the at&t connection coming into your house. That's what I always did when plugging a viop service in to activate all the jacks in the house. I had them remove the overhead line as well. . .

YES, I will have to do that, but I can't do it until my number is "ported" over from AT&T to Ooma. But no issues with the overhead wires, our wires are buried.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    So much for just going to the gun show to pick up ammo... :rolleyes:

60a_zpsjv23cuut.jpg

60b_zpsfe5nme4u.jpg

S&W Model 60 (.38 spl)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm finally back....

What did I miss.... ?

I seen Snap at the building with many smells and that little model 60 is quite nice...

OK back to work...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom