Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Going to look at this tank tomorrow.
    20 gallon aquarium fishtank & stand
    if it's in decent shape I'll probably buy it for my first tank. I know I need a new hood or lights, heater, filter, sand, deco/fake plants ( not doing live planted), test kit, and a few other small things. Any suggestions on the main components? Want quality buy not top of the line....first tank budget build...lol

oh and if anyone wants to donate starter filter seed for the cycle I'll be more than willing to accept.

Initial tank set up (after cleaning & filling tank) budget-wise:
    add Tetra AquaSafePlus chemical as prescribed AND add Tetra EasyBalance chemical as prescribed at the same time

after 24 hours, add live bacteria (buy from The Ark at the counter)
    after 24 hours add fish that are compatible with each other

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Initial tank set up (after cleaning & filling tank) budget-wise:
    add Tetra AquaSafePlus chemical as prescribed AND add Tetra EasyBalance chemical as prescribed at the same time

after 24 hours, add live bacteria (buy from The Ark at the counter)
    after 24 hours add fish that are compatible with each other

Lots of people use the products mentioned by Ballstater98, I'm just not a fan. There are other ways to cycle a tank. Just to offer an alternative, I'd like to suggest reading this. At the very least, educate yourself about the Nitrogen Cycle. Armed with a good understanding of how Ammonia converts to Nitrite, and Nitrite to Nitrate will help you know when it's safe to add fish. Also, I would advise strongly against relying on the strips. Go with something like the API or even better Salifert test kits. Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate test kits is enough. Messing with Ph can seriously lead to problems. Lake Michigan water is pretty heavily buffered against Ph changes. Your fish will acclimate nicely.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    if it's in decent shape I'll probably buy it for my first tank. I know I need a new hood or lights, heater, filter, sand, deco/fake plants ( not doing live planted), test kit, and a few other small things. Any suggestions on the main components? Want quality buy not top of the line....first tank budget build...lol

oh and if anyone wants to donate starter filter seed for the cycle I'll be more than willing to accept.

I cycled my tank with Dr. Tim's one and only.

I have a 29 gallon tank with 1 goldfish in it. I have an under gravel filter, powerhead, air stone, over the tank filter, steel water heater with digital read out. I'll get links and pictures of my tank tomorrow after I wake up and get on the computer.

Also, I can give you some filter media if you want to help cycle the tank.

And I'm not sure if the price of the tank in your post, but Pet Supplies plus has a sale of dollar per gallon tank. So a 55 gallon tank is 55 dollars.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Its a fun hobby, your son may also enjoy looking at the fish and helping as he grows. Been many years since I had an aquarium so any information I can give is out of date, but look for varieties of fish that get along with each other unless you want to watch national geographic play out in front of your eyes with a predator eating his prey.

trying to hire scabs
    Since people are allowed to strike over wages/benefits then companies are similarly allowed to hire workers who would gladly take those wages/benefits.

Uh-oh, I think we work for the same company, especially after looking at your profile picture. Did they send you in here to spy on me?
    A budding bro-mance between Thugs.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My dog took a turn for the worse with her disease.

Unless she rallies with a comeback it looks like we are facing her final days.

Always hard to say goodbye.

A few months ago we had 2 dogs, now we are looking at a house without dogs. :(

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm so sorry to hear this, Bob. We're approaching the same thing with our Lorelei. It's hard to know when it's time.
    Sadly Misha is in no pain so the decision is actually harder. She is losing control of her rear legs. Its a neuromuscular disease, there is no treatment, no cure. She has been unable to get up by herself for months, so she wears a harness with a rear lifting handle. Once we got her up she was able to walk around. Now she is to the point of making only a few steps on her own and falling. She doesn't know why she can't walk. She wants to, but her rear legs just fall out from under her. Front half of her body is totally fine, still strong and muscular.

So now w have to lift up her rear with the handle and walk along side her for her to go anywhere. Some days she can manage 10 to 20 steps. Some days 2 steps is too far ... yesterday was one of those really bad days. Today is a bit better. Tomorrow?

Somebody is looking to have their brake lines cut.
    Not the kind of talk I'd expect to hear from someone who wants to be adopted.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Lots of people use the products mentioned by Ballstater98, I'm just not a fan. There are other ways to cycle a tank. Just to offer an alternative, I'd like to suggest reading this. At the very least, educate yourself about the Nitrogen Cycle. Armed with a good understanding of how Ammonia converts to Nitrite, and Nitrite to Nitrate will help you know when it's safe to add fish. Also, I would advise strongly against relying on the strips. Go with something like the API or even better Salifert test kits. Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate test kits is enough. Messing with Ph can seriously lead to problems. Lake Michigan water is pretty heavily buffered against Ph changes. Your fish will acclimate nicely.
    Being a Hort major I'm very familiar. I actually read the article you linked and joined the forums there. I'm pretty set on doing a fish less cycle to make sure everything is set up right. Someone else just suggested looking at Pet Supplies Plus for the sale and look at a 29 gal to start. I understand the concept of larger is easier to keep balanced but space and cost are going to be deciding factors. Also found a 29 gal on Craigslist in Cicero so waiting on pic of that one.

Its a fun hobby, your son may also enjoy looking at the fish and helping as he grows. Been many years since I had an aquarium so any information I can give is out of date, but look for varieties of fish that get along with each other unless you want to watch national geographic play out in front of your eyes with a predator eating his prey.

this all started with/for my son. He got a fair goldfish and was so excited. We have already replaced it once, but I would rather set up a nice sub tropical community tank rather then mess with goldfish.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Guys. If you are looking for a new pet, let me know. The shelter is always full of awesome dogs.

I know it's hard but you have another chance to give another dog a whole new life

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom