Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If a person wants a specific breed of dog, they are not going to go to a shelter and get a dog instead.

Sure they are. At least some. That's how I got two of my American Eskimos. I looked on Petfinder for Eskies and when I found the ones I wanted, I went to the shelters and adopted them. They have all breeds, but some are just harder to find than others.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Sure they are. At least some. That's how I got two of my American Eskimos. I looked on Petfinder for Eskies and when I found the ones I wanted, I went to the shelters and adopted them. They have all breeds, but some are just harder to find than others.
    They came with papers?

Sure some people will, but if even most people did there wouldn't be so many breeders breeding dogs.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    If a person wants a specific breed of dog, they are not going to go to a shelter and get a dog instead.
    Agreed. Add to that a lot of shelters have become just as big of a pain in the butt as the wacko dog breeders and "breed rescues"...

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    OK, so now breed rescues are bad? I've worked with an American Eskimo rescue for years.
    I can only equate my personal experience in that the breed rescues I've dealt with (dog, bird and exotic) have been glorified animal hoarders that filed paperwork for tax reasons and "personal justification" of keeping way too many animals in way too small of space. As for your "for profit" breeders - a lot of them I've had personal experience with are flat out nuts IMO.
    There's a fine line between passionate and crazy. My last 3 dogs were pure bred - one from a breed rescue - and my experience with the industry goes far beyond that. Just a personal observation.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That could not be further from the truth with the American Eskimo rescues I have worked with. They do not house dogs all in one place; dogs are fostered by volunteers, with the intent of adopting them out. They work very hard to match dogs with the appropriate owners. I have fostered and I have also participated in transports and home inspections.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I can only equate my personal experience in that the breed rescues I've dealt with (dog, bird and exotic) have been glorified animal hoarders that filed paperwork for tax reasons and "personal justification" of keeping way too many animals in way too small of space. As for your "for profit" breeders - a lot of them I've had personal experience with are flat out nuts IMO.
    There's a fine line between passionate and crazy. My last 3 dogs were pure bred - one from a breed rescue - and my experience with the industry goes far beyond that. Just a personal observation.
    For profit breeders are idiots. Hobby breeders are idiots too. I'm amazed at the igorance of so many people who buy a pure-bred dog and assume they have a great candidate for breeding. Most animals are bad candidates for breeding.

I also think that many 'show breeders' are changing the way dogs look, by highly selective breeding. Malamutes and Akitas have increased in size due to show breeders trying to get larger and larger dogs. Much to the detriment of the breeds. Hip and health problems are far more common.

I am more concered about getting a clean OFA certification.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Back home from the impromptu trip on the Winery Trail. :alcoholic:
    Trail Map
    5 bottles made the cut, and those selections have a new home in the wine rack...for now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom