• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RomanDad

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Orange County CA
    I have a CCW here in California. Interestingly, as difficult as they make it for us to get them (believe me a ccw in California is rarer than sasquatch), I can actually carry in more places than LTCHrs in Indiana (I can carry at schools for example).

One of our rules is that when we "come in contact" with a police officer (and were given no guidance on what that means) we have to notify them that we're carrying. Is there any such requirement in Indiana?

Thanks

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No requirement.

You will get a 50/50 reply to this thread with the following.

A) No, I will not inform unless directly asked.

B) Yes, I will inform, it's a good idea and puts everyone at ease.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    From the stuff I have seen on YouTube, If I were you I'd find out from the state and quick b/c If a LEO discovers you have a CCW and you don't tell him you could loose your CCW and or your gun. A lot of cops don't know that OC is leagle let alone CC in CALI.:wallbash:

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I have a CCW here in California. Interestingly, as difficult as they make it for us to get them (believe me a ccw in California is rarer than sasquatch), I can actually carry in more places than LTCHrs in Indiana (I can carry at schools for example).

One of our rules is that when we "come in contact" with a police officer (and were given no guidance on what that means) we have to notify them that we're carrying. Is there any such requirement in Indiana?

Thanks
    Please stick around our forum RomanDad. Give us a play by play of your experiences in CA. We know things are bad there and getting worse all the time.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    From the stuff I have seen on YouTube, If I were you I'd find out from the state and quick b/c If a LEO discovers you have a CCW and you don't tell him you could loose your CCW and or your gun. A lot of cops don't know that OC is leagle let alone CC in CALI.:wallbash:

He was asking about here. Im sure he knows more about CCW in Cali than we do. Here you run no such risk. Its law there, so I would imagine that would be the case.

But as others said, nope, not here. Also as it was said, some are yes, some are no. Personally I would be in the yes category. If an officer hassles me, I can take it. None of them are excessively gung-ho around here, so Im not scared of excessive force. Held at gun point? Little nervous about that, but its better to tell them you are legal and get held at gun point than for them to see it or find out later and draw on you. Less tension. :twocents:

I would welcome you, but I can see you already have quite a few posts. Glad to have you. I look forward to hearing some out of state input.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I asked the secretary at our local PD when I was paying the local fee for my license. She said that in the case of being pulled over I should inform the officer for my safety and the officers.

This seems to make sense to me.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I asked the secretary at our local PD when I was paying the local fee for my license. She said that in the case of being pulled over I should inform the officer for my safety and the officers.

This seems to make sense to me.

If you had a knife clipped to your belt and you got pulled over, do you tell the cops?

There's NO danger to you or the police if you keep your weapon holstered and concealed and your trap shut.

.... and the local PD lady was just giving her OPINION, and nothing else.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    If you had a knife clipped to your belt and you got pulled over, do you tell the cops?

There's NO danger to you or the police if you keep your weapon holstered and concealed and your trap shut.

.... and the local PD lady was just giving her OPINION, and nothing else.

Yes yes, we know.

For the record, I do tell a cop if I have a knife, assuming it is a "tactical knife" and not a box cutter or multitool. Its gotten me out of tickets before.
    "Sir, do you have any weapons on you or in your vehicle?"
    "Yes officer, I have a defensive knife clipped onto my right pocket. May I put it in my glove box?"
    "Uh, yes, that would be fine. Thanks for the heads up."
    Then he watched me closely as I did just that, and the stop went on as usual. It ended with "Well, since you dont have any warrants, and you have been up front with me, Im going to let you off with a warrant. SLOW DOWN!"

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    `

Yes yes, we know.

For the record, I do tell a cop if I have a knife, assuming it is a "tactical knife" and not a box cutter or multitool. Its gotten me out of tickets before.
    "Sir, do you have any weapons on you or in your vehicle?"
    "Yes officer, I have a defensive knife clipped onto my right pocket. May I put it in my glove box?"
    "Uh, yes, that would be fine. Thanks for the heads up."
    Then he watched me closely as I did just that, and the stop went on as usual. It ended with "Well, since you dont have any warrants, and you have been up front with me, Im going to let you off with a warrant. SLOW DOWN!"

This is not informing, this is answering a question. In this example you were directly asked if you had any weapons by LEO. You sure has heck better answer truthfully at this point. The "informing" topic, in my opinion, is voluntering the information without being asked a specific question about whether or not you have a weapon.

"Sir, do you know why I stopped you"
    "Officer, I would like to inform you that I am a LTCH holder and I do have a weapon on my person, etc".

Totally different set of circumstances here.

Personal opinion~HighStrung believes that so long as the weapon on my person has nothing to do with why LEO is talking to me, then the weapon on my person is irrelevant to the conversation. Now, if I'm asked directly, I will answer "yes" to the question after I have explained that I possess a LTCH. If I'm asked to step out of the vehicle, I will explain to the officer that I possess a LTCH and that I do have a weapon on my person (as well as where it is) and "how would you like me to proceed?". Outside of that, me being stopped for speeding has absolutely nil to do with the fact that I am exercising my 2nd amendment right to carry a firearm. I've been pulled over twice with my carry weapon on my hip, no tickets came from either of those stops. The officer had no reason to question, I had no reason to extend the conversation to what was or wasn't on my person. Just my $.02

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    This is not informing, this is answering a question. In this example you were directly asked if you had any weapons by LEO. You sure has heck better answer truthfully at this point. The "informing" topic, in my opinion, is voluntering the information without being asked a specific question about whether or not you have a weapon.

Or else what...?

My response would be "I HAVE NOTHING ILLEGAL"

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Or else what...?

I can imagine the fun that will follow lying to a directly asked question by LEO followed by their finding out the truth. Can you say "tasting pavement".

If they ask a direct question, I will give them a direct answer. Nothing more, nothing less. If asked to step out of the vehicle, I'm guessing that I'm going to be patted down. God knows the fun that will follow after I've told them "I have nothing illegal" when they asked "Do you have any weapons". Though it isn't lying, it isn't answering their question either. Why subject yourself to more scrutiny? Why not answer the question they directly asked. I sure don't want to surprise LEO during a pat down that I've got my .40 on my hip. I love guns, just don't like looking down them from the wrong end.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I can imagine the fun that will follow lying to a directly asked question by LEO followed by their finding out the truth. Can you say "tasting pavement".

If they ask a direct question, I will give them a direct answer. Nothing more, nothing less. If asked to step out of the vehicle, I'm guessing that I'm going to be patted down. God knows the fun that will follow after I've told them "I have nothing illegal" when they asked "Do you have any weapons". Though it isn't lying, it isn't answering their question either. Why subject yourself to more scrutiny? Why not answer the question they directly asked. I sure don't want to surprise LEO during a pat down that I've got my .40 on my hip. I love guns, just don't like looking down them from the wrong end.

:laugh: Sounds good. Goodnight.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I would like to know how about you ended up being approved in cali. Please pm me! Me love you long time if you do!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Don't have to here. I did it once during a traffic stop and never again, the guy asked me "what's the firearm for" and I questioned the relevance of the question and I almost pissed him off.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I got stopped a couple of days ago. It's 0515 and I see the lights in the rear view. Pulled over as far as I could, inside light on, wallet out, and hands on the wheel. "Good morning, I'm Deputy ______ with the Sheriff's department." "Morning.. Running a little late for work in _______ county" He asked what I do and I answered, handing him my license. My LTCH was visible behind it in my wallet, so he asked, "Any weapons in the vehicle?" "Pistol in the case there." He took my license to run it, or so he said. He was back so quickly (literally, 15-20 sec. from when he left my window till he was back with my license) I don't believe he actually ran anything. He handed me my license, we wished each other non-busy, safe days, and I was on my way... at the speed limit, not exceeding it.

I was pleased with his professionalism and the speed with which he got me on my way. No ticket was a nice thing, too. I think if I'd had my license out before he got to the window, the question would not have been asked, but as it was, I don't see how this could have gone better.

RomanDad, as you've been told, no duty to inform here. It works out just fine, as you see. I do know that I've heard of cases in other states (Ohio, IIRC) where if the officer gets to the window and utters a single word before you notify, you can be held in violation of the "duty to inform immediately"...It's just another stumbling block the antis love to throw in our way.

MinuteMan47, one of our INGO LEOs had this discussion with a member before. An indirect response to a direct question would be received poorly and IIRC, the phrase, "...with a pistol screwed into your ear..." was part of the reply, if a pistol was found on someone who had refused to answer the question asked truthfully when it was asked. Your choice how you handle your life, but being aware of the likely outcome is a good idea to make an informed decision.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Or else what...?

+1

Or, "I'm not at liberty to discuss that with you, officer. Am I being detained or am I free to go now?"

Questions during a traffic stop should pertain to the reason I'm stopped. I'm not going to carry on a conversation about other issues.

Top Bottom