Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Orange County CA
    Ohio Stadium?:dunno:

Uh.... No....

Horseshoe Southern Indiana

If I emigrate to Indiana Im willing to do a lot of things. Im willing to learn how to drive a ride on lawn mower.

Im willing to learn how to play euchre.

Im even willing to eat bacon with every meal.

But there is no way in hell Im ever going to Columbus to watch football.

Usc_football_logo.gif

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    ...and?

I have no "responsibility" to answer those questions.

No "legal" responsibilty....you're right. We disagree on the moral responsibility. My point is.........say yes, say no, but don't unnecessarily put an LEO on alert by not giving him striaght answers. I think it's stupid.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Uh.... No....

Horseshoe Southern Indiana

If I emigrate to Indiana Im willing to do a lot of things. Im willing to learn how to drive a ride on lawn mower.

Im willing to learn how to play euchre.

Im even willing to eat bacon with every meal.

But there is no way in hell Im ever going to Columbus to watch football.
    Now that was funny...

...Hey wait just a minute! I don't get to eat bacon with every meal!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Nonsense, of course they're entitled. Whether or not you think you have a legal or moral obligation to answer is the issue.

Neither. Please support this entitlement to receive yes, no or any answers to fishing expeditions in some way.

Interesting......do you have any comments that relate in any way to our conversation? :rolleyes:
    They related to unnecessarily checking for licenses.

Absolutely not. I support your right to carry your gun hanging from the bill of your cap if that's how you want to carry. But.......do it with a video camera attached to your face trying to goad the police into a reaction in my neighborhood, and that is what reasonable people.......i.e. people other than your ilk would consider suspicious.
    So the camera is the goad? Reasonable people are suspicious of cameras? What, like you're going to steal their soul or something? :laugh:
    Weak sauce right there.

...So, please....don't tell me what you think LEOs are entitled to ask or what YOU think the law says about it. I don't want to hear it.
    You do know this is a forum, right? We discuss things. You certainly don't seem to mind giving YOUR opinions. :rolleyes:

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Neither. Please support this entitlement to receive yes, no or any answers to fishing expeditions in some way.

I never said they are entitled to an answer......My stance all along is that they have every right to ask. You've implied that they have no such right. Do try to keep up.

**Edit: I misread your statement on whether or not they're entitled to a yes or no answer......I thought it said entitled to ask....That is my bad, apoligies all around!**

Last edited:

Don252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    I would say wether there is any requirement to or not, its probably a good idea. Police officers have a very dangerous job and there are a lot of idiots out there that would like to hurt them just because they are LEO's. So don't take them by surprise with a ccw, they will appreciate the heads up, believe me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Me personally I will keep my mouth shut as long as I am in a State that does not require notification to an officer. I will never talk to a cop. If the cop asks me why he pulled me over, I politely say sir, you pulled me over, I do not know. If you admit to doing something illegal, ie: speeding you have lost all chances in court of fighting a speeding ticket.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There is far more to being a good citizen and far more to being a responsible gun owner than tightroping the law to your advantage. Or, are you the type of person that stops playing loud music at 9:59 when the noise ordinance says 10:00?

It is just my opinion, but I believe that when an LEO asks if you have a weapon, it is #1, procedure......and #2 in concern for his own safety, and I believe that you have a moral responsibilty to answer the question truthfully. Intentionally obtuse reactions are no different than walking down the street open carrying through a residential neighborhood while carrying a video camera........trying to goad the police into an unnecessary action. It is in MY opinion, irresponsible.

This has been discussed and debated on this site many times. I was once of the opinion that I should inform. After reading multiple accounts of LEOs taking your weapon after you inform and sometimes handling it unsafely, in other cases taking it back to their cruiser and then returning it disassembled, or unloaded, and in yet other cases asking rude questions as to why you need to carry a gun, I decided that I will never inform. These types of reactions are the exception, I'm sure, but if it were to happen to me, once would be much too often.

Your trivial example of playing music until a minute before time is insulting. I'm a much more serious person than that, and I suggest you read some of my other posts.

I take my rights very, very seriously. What are rights? First, as I pointed out before, the police have NO rights in their dealings with me, the citizen. They only have powers. I have rights. My rights are to be secure in my person AND my privacy. It's none of their damned business where I'm going, what I'm doing, nor what LEGAL items I have in my car. They need to mind their business and tend to whatever they stopped me for.

As to their safety, the logic doesn't hold up. If I have an LTCH, I am a law abiding citizen, so therefore they have no need to ask if I'm armed. If I'm a criminal, do you think I'll tell them? Stop me, do your business for the state, and leave me alone. If a cop comes to my house to tell me to turn the music down, should he be able to ask if I have guns in my house? If he does, the answer will be, "I have nothing illegal in my house." NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING else about the contents of my house is any of his damned business.

You trivialize all you want. I take my rights seriously. My rights don't protect me from another citizen, they protect me from the government and many of my dealings with the government are with its enforcement branch, the police. I WILL NOT concede my rights to the government out of some silly sense of politeness. As soon as he asked me a question that's none of his business under the cloak of his authority while I'm being detained by force of law, he is overstepping and the ONLY answer he'll get is the minimum I have to tell him. The act of asking is the beginning of abuse of authority.

Agree or disagree, but you ain't covering anything a lot of us haven't thought about a great deal. You come late to the party to think you have the definitive and obvious answer.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    This has been discussed and debated on this site many times. I was once of the opinion that I should inform. After reading multiple accounts of LEOs taking your weapon after you inform and sometimes handling it unsafely, in other cases taking it back to their cruiser and then returning it disassembled, or unloaded, and in yet other cases asking rude questions as to why you need to carry a gun, I decided that I will never inform. These types of reactions are the exception, I'm sure, but if it were to happen to me, once would be much too often.

I believe about a tenth of what I read here, and I believe the anecdotes about bad cop encounters even less. That said.....I admit some of them may be true, but I'd much rather base my opinions and actions on my own experiences. I have.....aside from this forum, NEVER heard of a cop acting in such a way.

Your trivial example of playing music until a minute before time is insulting. I'm a much more serious person than that, and I suggest you read some of my other posts.
    I couldn't care less whether your insulted or not. There is more to life than the letter of the law. I'm sorry you seem to have a hard time understanding that.

Agree or disagree, but you ain't covering anything a lot of us haven't thought about a great deal. You come late to the party to think you have the definitive and obvious answer.

Ya....I pretty much disagree with almost everything you've said.......Have i been here long enough to say that? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Ya....I pretty much disagree with almost everything you've said.......Have i been here long enough to say that? :rolleyes: Oh.....and serious or not, my example of playing music was simply that.........an example. I couldn't give two craps if you were insulted by it.

What an enlightening and intelligent reply.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    What an enlightening and intelligent reply.

I didn't like it much either.......I had hoped my edit would go through before you saw it. The approach I've taken on this thread has less to do with the thread, and more to do with my day, so I apologize if you were offended.
    Look......I don't want to make enemies here. I simply disagree with your philosophy. I understand your feelings about privacy, and your rights. I just disagree that an officer has no right to ask if the person he's confronting has a weapon.

The loud music example came from a man named William McGurn. He used it in conjunction with an argument against the Mosque being built at the WTC site. His point was, that just because they have a RIGHT to do it, and there is no legal course of action to prevent it's being built, there is still a "good neighbor" policy that should cause them to feel a moral obligation to abstain. I think the example fits well here. It is MY belief, that an officer DOES have a right to ask you if you have a weapon, and that I have an obligation to put him at ease. Again, my actions are dictated by my experiences.........none of which have included such actions as having my weapon stripped from me and unloaded in a squad car.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I think we all get the idea that LEOs have all the opportunity to ask any question they want. Sure, they can ask if you're wearing purple socks and a tutu. That does not mean you are required to answer even those questions. LEOs on a traffic stop can ask whatever they like. Asking isn't violating any rights. Hell, I could stop you on the street and ask you any question I'd like to ask. Would you answer me? Why would you answer a cop?

I have all the respect in the world for cops, and the job that they do. I'll talk to them, ask them how they're doing, offer them a joke, or a friendly wave. Usually, they're good guys and will reciprocate. But when they pull me over, or stop me within the confines of the law, they're not my friend. My mouth will stay clamped shut unless absolutely necessary. It's not being rude, nor obtuse. My right to remain silent doesn't start when they cuff me and read it to me. It starts when they pull me over and walk to my car.

I don't have any obligation to put him at ease. My (lack of erratic) actions and silence should give him all the ease he needs. LEOs who relax too much get dead from those who prey on LEOs.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    One of our rules is that when we "come in contact" with a police officer (and were given no guidance on what that means) we have to notify them that we're carrying. Is there any such requirement in Indiana? Thanks

Common sense should always rule above any law.
    There is only ONE way A N Y B O D Y will ever know if I am carrying, PERIOD.

Top Bottom