• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You are kind of the employer by sitting down at the table there is an implied agreement in our society that good service deserves a 20% tip.

The percentage has not changed in my life, been an expected 20% for good service.

What a narrow minded way of thinking. There are many people that have worked hard, provided great service, and made a career out of service and retail. Do you realize they call our current economy a service economy?
    How old are you?

15% is a good tip.

20% is exceptional.

15 used to be an option on these machines, now 18% is.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    15% is a good tip.
    It is an appropriate tip for average service.

20% is exceptional.
    20% is appropriate for exceptional service which by definition is better than average. Those that cannot or will not pay for exceptional service shouldn’t sit down.

15 used to be an option on these machines, now 18% is.
    I’m a big boy I can figure a tip without suggestion. I do most tips in cash…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It is an appropriate tip for average service.

20% is appropriate for exceptional service which by definition is better than average. Those that cannot or will not pay for exceptional service shouldn’t sit down.

I’m a big boy I can figure a tip without suggestion. I do most tips in cash…
    Well yeah. I responded to 20 being good not exceptional

15 good
    18 above average
    20 exceptional

I take that literally! I also judge between what is actually in the wait staffs control or not.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well yeah. I responded to 20 being good not exceptional

15 good
    18 above average
    20 exceptional

I take that literally! I also judge between what is actually in the wait staffs control or not.
    Good is better than average. Would anyone say I had below average service but it was good? No they would not.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    You are kind of the employer by sitting down at the table there is an implied agreement in our society that good service deserves a 20% tip.

The percentage has not changed in my life, been an expected 20% for good service.

What a narrow minded way of thinking. There are many people that have worked hard, provided great service, and made a career out of service and retail. Do you realize they call our current economy a service economy?
    I suppose you have a point on the apect of im contracting a service but im still no their employer. Don't know your age but i remember 10% then 15% tips back in the day. Honestly for me even if theyade minimum wage i would still tip on quality of service. That is why it is actually "gratuity" not a tip. But no way will I tip more then i would make in my high risk job that society absolutely can not do without. "Electricity". I do over tip alot of the times also bc i leave a min of 5$ but max of 40$

Yeah it is narrow-minded, i admit. But here is why i feel that way. I can't feel sorry for people like a buddy, who is a stocker at walmart, making 12$ an hour after 18 years. There is no ambition to move up, get an education, or look for other employment. He cries the wage isn't good enough. About 90% of services are throw away service. They are not a necessity to life and can be replaced the next day by someone or something else. We have become a consumer economy, service is a huge part of that yeah. We all have alot of say in the choice of job or career we choose.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I admit that I tend to over tip, usually starting at 20% as a baseline and moving up from there. I have always assumed that employers underpaid their waitstaff, with the assumption that tips would at least make up for the low base pay. So, as others have opined here, tips are actually part of their pay, which if Trump and copycat Harris have their way, will soon become untaxable income. Which would make me rethink what my new lower base tip percentage will be.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I suppose you have a point on the apect of im contracting a service but im still no their employer. Don't know your age but i remember 10% then 15% tips back in the day. Honestly for me even if theyade minimum wage i would still tip on quality of service. That is why it is actually "gratuity" not a tip. But no way will I tip more then i would make in my high risk job that society absolutely can not do without. "Electricity". I do over tip alot of the times also bc i leave a min of 5$ but max of 40$
    Not sure where the thinking comes from that tips used to be anything other than what they are today commonly. Maybe a regional or family thing, but in central Indiana I never heard different than what I posted. 15% for average and 20% for good or exceptional service. I am completely unaware of any change in this. I am probably older than you.

Yeah it is narrow-minded, i admit. But here is why i feel that way. I can't feel sorry for people like a buddy, who is a stocker at walmart, making 12$ an hour after 18 years. There is no ambition to move up, get an education, or look for other employment. He cries the wage isn't good enough. About 90% of services are throw away service. They are not a necessity to life and can be replaced the next day by someone or something else. We have become a consumer economy, service is a huge part of that yeah. We all have alot of say in the choice of job or career we choose.
    If someone is not on the management team at WM after 18 years it is them for one reason or another…

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Generally any way to “shelter” money from taxes.

For example, before they took this shelter away, a guy could make a lot of money at a job like doctor or pilot, they could own a hobby farm or rental properties and any losses they had on the hobby farm or rental properties could be written off of the professional income. That was sheltering money.

Corporations do it too.
    :) Again apologies, I should have used a purple font.

Top Bottom