• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Curious, in your opinion, if the service is terrible have they broken that implied contract? Should there be consequences or compensation?
    That would vary on the terrible service provided, but yes, it breaks the contract. For example, if I’m waiting for something and I catch my server off smoking, bad, big dent in the tip.

What constitutes personal service? Touching? When i get called for a side job say to fix someone's outlet or change a ceiling fan, is that not a personal service? I don't ever expect a tip because I am being paid for the labor just like the massage therapist. We dont tip doctors??? Maybe I will give 5 minute back rub to get a tip. Lol
    Good question, I think personal interaction between humans seems to be the norm for tipping. I take my shoes to a shoe repair shop and see no need to tip, but if I sit down at a shoe shine stand I definitely tip.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Because it is a personal service and customary, nails hair, massage, pedicure are all personal services that are customarily tipped for average and above service. Since that is the norm, I believe that by engaging the masseuse you are agreeing to the norm.
    efe9d2c84a2cc3727c73c8859e7a5b8e.gif

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Because it is a personal service and customary, nail hair, massage, pedicure are all personal services that are customarily tipped for average and above service. Since that is the norm, I believe that by engaging the masseuse you are agreeing to the norm.
    I agree to the price of a service not necessarily on a gratuity arrangement.

I opened a can of worms on this tip topic lol

Here is a spin on it, so we tried this new place for couples massage, it was TERRIBLE and we decided to stop about 20 minutes into the service. They wanted us to pay full price or call the police. I said go ahead it is a civil matter so they wont do anything. They finally agreed to prorate the time, which was my idea. Another instance my wife was getting her nails done and they were not good, she refused to pay unless they fixed them and of course the tech wanted to call the 5.0, eventually the owner fixed them and she even tipped.

So to my point... there is a double standard and entitlement that came into this so called "service" industry. You pay for a tangable good or service, then are expected to tip on top of that! Also, is it ever ok to refuse to pay for the up-front cost of a service because it is poor? There is a double sandard in this tip culture.

For servers which was the main topic are not paid for the tangible service or goods like food, they are 100% solely based on interactions, which is why we tip them based on their service qualities. Either way they should all be taxed lol

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I agree to the price of a service not necessarily on a gratuity arrangement.

I opened a can of worms on this tip topic lol

Here is a spin on it, so we tried this new place for couples massage, it was TERRIBLE and we decided to stop about 20 minutes into the service. They wanted us to pay full price or call the police. I said go ahead it is a civil matter so they wont do anything. They finally agreed to prorate the time, which was my idea. Another instance my wife was getting her nails done and they were not good, she refused to pay unless they fixed them and of course the tech wanted to call the 5.0, eventually the owner fixed them and she even tipped.

So to my point... there is a double standard and entitlement that came into this so called "service" industry. You pay for a tangable good or service, then are expected to tip on top of that! Also, is it ever ok to refuse to pay for the up-front cost of a service because it is poor? There is a double sandard in this tip culture.

For servers which was the main topic are not paid for the tangible service or goods like food, they are 100% solely based on interactions, which is why we tip them based on their service qualities. Either way they should all be taxed lol
    I thought it a good discussion, makes us think about things we do.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do you believe that system would result in better or worse service? I believe in capitalism and the incentives it provides. I believe if servers were paid by the restaurant, which itself has an incentive to cut servers pay, service would suffer.
    If good tips equals good service, then why do we use that in some places where good service is critical, e.g. medicine?

Why don't we tip nurses and doctors?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If good tips equals good service, then why do we use that in some places where good service is critical, e.g. medicine?

I say make everyone eligible for minimum wage and be done with it. If you want to tip tip, if not don't.

OR abolish the minimum wage. Prefer the latter, but the former would probably be easier to pass.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso

I would agree to point that service would suffer if tips were a thing of the past, bc their sole income is tips, so we have leverage.

Nurses and docs make tons of money bc they have skills. This is why I personally will never tip beyond 20 to 30$ max even if the bill is 500$. The server is not skilled or had to get a degree.

Imo medical industry prices as a whole are a product of runaway capitalism.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I would agree to point that service would suffer if tips were a thing of the past, bc their sole income is tips, so we have leverage.
    We certainly do.

Nurses and docs make tons of money bc they have skills. This is why I personally will never tip beyond 20 to 30$ max even if the bill is 500$. The server is not skilled or had to get a degree.
    This is a joke. If you have a $500 bill you either have a bunch of people or are at a high end place and most servers at high end places have skills. It is beyond belief to denigrate those that work hard, know their craft, and put up with jerks. Maybe you would have an appreciation for what servers do if you had to deal with it for a while. (I personally have never been a server but have friends that are.)

Imo medical industry prices as a whole are a product of runaway capitalism.
    Our medicine is in no way a capitalist market. The combination of government, employers, and insurance companies are not capitalism…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you have a $500 bill you either have a bunch of people or are at a high end place and most servers at high end places have skills.
    Need some clarification. Does the $500 represent the total spent at the establishment, including money taken out of ATMs (and those associated fees), or just drinks? Er, and food. Yeah, food too. ;)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This is a joke. If you have a $500 bill you either have a bunch of people or are at a high end place
    Not to mention if you're at a high end place or have a group over 5 or so, you're getting hit with an automatic tip of at least 15% but more than likely 20%. You don't have a say in it

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not to mention if you're at a high end place or have a group over 5 or so, you're getting hit with an automatic tip of at least 15% but more than likely 20%. You don't have a say in it
    Not something I see often at higher end places, but may not be going to the right places. I do eat out quite a bit. I see that more at tourist type places or places groups go often.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    I am always willing to make a scene if they spring that on the bill!

Kelseys in valpo tried to add a 5% card fee on top of the 18% gratuity.

I stood my ground and they removed the fees. Then i tipped more the the stupid fees anyway because the server was awsome.

First mistake thwy made was trying to fee me on my visa DEBIT card, (illegal) I simply informed the owner I would contact the state attorney general, that made them back the cart up immediately.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Also, don't be a chump like I was until 5 or so years ago and tip on the bottom line of the tab. I was giving the servers 20% + on tax. :facepalm:

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    We certainly do.

This is a joke. If you have a $500 bill you either have a bunch of people or are at a high end place and most servers at high end places have skills. It is beyond belief to denigrate those that work hard, know their craft, and put up with jerks. Maybe you would have an appreciation for what servers do if you had to deal with it for a while. (I personally have never been a server but have friends that are.)

Our medicine is in no way a capitalist market. The combination of government, employers, and insurance companies are not capitalism…
    Are you a server? A server, is a server, is a server no matter where they serve. Hard work is just that hard work. You missed the post where I talked about my first job was at ponderosa. I know the industry first hand. Again no way in heck am I tipping a server more then i male in an hour, I dont care about the total bill! I work extremely hard and in some of the roughest conditions but im not asking the server to tip me bc the power is on for them to have a job.

As far as medications, do you know what capitalism is? You may need to do some research on big pharma. Just look up...one example.

Martin Shkreli​

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    A $500 meal and folks will only tip 20 bucks?! I tipped more than that for a date night at Ruth Chris for just the wife and I (no alcohol running up the bill either).

I'm going to guess those folks likely haven't been to many $500 meals. The $500+ meals I've been at, service has been superb... they deserve their tip and earned it, just like the server at Texas Roadhouse earns their 20% (of a much lower bill)...

Ruth Chris, Morton's, Del Frisco's Double Eagle in Vegas...tip $20 at those places, should the staff be able to request you not return?

Top Bottom