• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I put #TaxationIsTheft on the tip line on the receipt and will leave a cash tip. I will also write a note saying, "This is a gift, not a tip. It is a gift and is therefore not subject to taxation."

I do believe I can gift up to 14k per person per year. Now am I helping the waitress commit tax fraud? I don't know but most of the waitress and people I do this for I either know pretty well or know that they are in need as I do not go out to eat often and mainly in the same bars and restaurants. I will wait in line long to set in the section of the person I know.

I also do this for real "smoke shows" at times because I liked threads on here like "hot chicks fishing" and still have testosterone running in my veins.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I put #TaxationIsTheft on the tip line on the receipt and will leave a cash tip. I will also write a note saying, "This is a gift, not a tip. It is a gift and is therefore not subject to taxation."

I do believe I can gift up to 14k per person per year. Now am I helping the waitress commit tax fraud? I don't know but most of the waitress and people I do this for I either know pretty well or know that they are in need as I do not go out to eat often and mainly in the same bars and restaurants. I will wait in line long to set in the section of the person I know.

I also do this for real "smoke shows" at times because I liked threads on here like "hot chicks fishing" and still have testosterone running in my veins.
    As long as you understand that if there is a circumstance where you need to qualify for medicade, you have to account for every gift and they delay your first monthly payment by the number of months that equal your gifting in the last 5 years.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    As long as you understand that if there is a circumstance where you need to qualify for medicade, you have to account for every gift and they delay your first monthly payment by the number of months that equal your gifting in the last 5 years.
    Hmmm. Thank u there is an older lady but the amount I have given her as gifts would not cause much delay in benefit's. Never thought about Medicaid qualifying

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Flat tax with the first tier being tax free, say your first $25k (or whatever, just an example) annually is at 0%, solves a lot of issues. Having the first bracket tax free covers most of the middle class deductions, helps keep the tax from being regressive (poor people pay more of their income than rich people), and greatly simplifies the tax code for individuals.

But...it eliminates the ability to social engineer via taxes, so it's very unlikely to become a reality.
    Sadly all true.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hmmm. Thank u there is an older lady but the amount I have given her as gifts would not cause much delay in benefit's. Never thought about Medicaid qualifying
    He's saying it could delay your benefits, to be clear. I think at one time, people would "gift" their kids or someone money so that when it came time to qualify for medicaid, it wouldn't be in their accounts and cause them to be denied.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    My mother went through the initial process to see where she was financially. Must keep your bank accounts under 2k. Any money spent in the last 5 years has to be accounted for. Secondary properties can be sold if not in use full time. If rented they can confiscate the monthly rent you are making. Any moneys not able to prove where it went is a gift. All Christmas expenses, birthdays, anniversaries, church, what you hand joe on the corner, you pay the down payment on your grandchild’s car, all counted as gifts. Basically you need receipts for anything you are claiming was spent on you or your home. You find out you have stage 4 cancer and decide to take a lavish trip before you apply for aid, they will claw that back as unnecessary expenses and extend the months to compensate.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I tell them to remember the golden rule of tips...Cash, Pocket! I'm tipping that individual for good service.

A LOT of folks these days carry zero cash.

The other side of the issue is that paying with a card provides a receipt. An important thing for professionals that entertain clients, have expense accounts, write off expenses for their own taxes, etc.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    A LOT of folks these days carry zero cash.

The other side of the issue is that paying with a card provides a receipt. An important thing for professionals that entertain clients, have expense accounts, write off expenses for their own taxes, etc.
    Yep, when I travel for business it all goes on the corp card and zero cash out of pocket...

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I think it’s a good strategy to reel in some additional votes.

The tax debate can go on forever talk about craziness try running a small business. The IRS is ruthless and you better do what they say.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I will also write a note saying, "This is a gift, not a tip. It is a gift and is therefore not subject to taxation."...

93e3b1d1-0420-479c-99af-88f161e1554f_text.gif

I just hope none of the servers believed that and thereby exposed themselves to tax....issues.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    93e3b1d1-0420-479c-99af-88f161e1554f_text.gif

I just hope none of the servers believed that and thereby exposed themselves to tax....issues.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to educate servers on how to handle tip reporting. I was in that biz for 15 years. There has always been "understandings" from the servers themselves to their management.

This is exactly why this "Trump pandering" is such a big deal. Trump is no stranger to taxation. He knows exactly what the long game is on this.

:twocents:

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I'd like to know where they work and if they're hiring.
    My Mrs makes over 80 a year as a bartender. 2.13/hr + tips.

She works her ass off for it though and has more regulars than most people have random customers that come in a night though, so she's not a typical tipped person in a lot of ways.

But like anything - being good at what you do can get you paid more. She makes more than 2 of the managers there.

Edit: they are hiring btw ;)

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    CEO: I make $3 an hour, then the board tips me $24 million.

There's nothing special about tipped income. How about just eliminate income tax on the first $X a year, whatever that X is, and let all low income workers have the same benefit. Or are the same people who cry 'the government shouldn't be picking winners and losers' somehow ok with 'Sorry stockboy, shoulda been a barista.' :rolleyes:
    How about no income tax and just a national sales tax where everyone pays in according to what they spend. No tax cuts or codes just keep it simple and fair for everyone.
    I don't know how it would work but it seems it could be less hassle than all those tax laws and running the massive IRS agency. No April tax deadlines etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How about no income tax and just a national sales tax where everyone pays in according to what they spend. No tax cuts or codes just keep it simple and fair for everyone.
    I don't know how it would work but it seems it could be less hassle than all those tax laws and running the massive IRS agency. No April tax deadlines etc.

A lot of smart people have kicked it around over the years and it never stays simple, due to a few factors. The biggest is it flips the tax burden to the lower middle class. Poor people spend a much higher percentage of their income than the rich. Especially if you don't start taxing things that traditionally do not have sales tax, like real estate. So proposals rebate families based on the poverty line. The absolute poorest will pay no tax, like now. The richest will pay almost nothing. The lower working class inevitably end up with the highest effective tax rate.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ",,,break me now, made a hundred thou, and I ain't saved a dime.
    The IRS, they came out best, they take my money everytime.
    It can't be fair, when a millionaire, ever has to give them a cent.
    I hate to say, we've lost our way,
    This isn't what the government...

"Mother Freedom"- Bread

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ",,,break me now, made a hundred thou, and I ain't saved a dime.
    The IRS, they came out best, they take my money everytime.
    It can't be fair, when a millionaire, ever has to give them a cent.
    I hate to say, we've lost our way,
    This isn't what the government...

"Mother Freedom"- Bread
    Wrong title...

Top Bottom