• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    this prepping thing i dont get. you guys talk about stocking up on food and staying inside. its not gonna happen like that. if this turns into a long term thing then for everyone of you that is "prepped" there is 10 or 20 who is not. and you wont last forever. if they cant get in then they will burn the house down. you would be better off moving. get away from the cities. and i dont believe i would take anything from a family. i would stay away from other people all i could. there would be so many empty stores and houses you wouldnt need to stock up. just my opinion but i live so close to indy that i would not feel safe staying put. i barely feel safe now let alone in a SHTF situation. now if i lived far away from the city then maybe i would stay put. i live in an apartment and there is no view. so i would be very vulnerable. like i said just my opinion.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    this prepping thing i dont get. you guys talk about stocking up on food and staying inside. its not gonna happen like that. if this turns into a long term thing then for everyone of you that is "prepped" there is 10 or 20 who is not. and you wont last forever. if they cant get in then they will burn the house down. you would be better off moving. get away from the cities. and i dont believe i would take anything from a family. i would stay away from other people all i could. there would be so many empty stores and houses you wouldnt need to stock up. just my opinion but i live so close to indy that i would not feel safe staying put. i barely feel safe now let alone in a SHTF situation. now if i lived far away from the city then maybe i would stay put. i live in an apartment and there is no view. so i would be very vulnerable. like i said just my opinion.

There are varies degree of prepping depending on what the SHTF is.
    Most on here have properly prepped for a level 1 or 2 SHTF.

level 1 - 1 to 3 days of no power (ie. T-storms, severe weather)
    level 2 - 3 to 7 days of no power (torando, blizzards)
    level 3 - 2 to 4 weeks of no power
    level 4 - 2+ months
    level 5 - 1+ year

At the level 4 and above you are right it is pointless as you (alone) will not last. In those events you have to form "communities" since other "communities (ie. rolling armed thugs, etc..)" will be looking for anything and will be taking".

However IMO it is prudent and wise to prepare for the level 1 to 2 events. Since the majority of us will see these events several times over in our lifetime. Level 3 perhaps once in our lifetime. Level 4-5 next to winning the lottery.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Turn on my scanner which is fully charged on the table next to me, turn on my UHF radio which is on my belt, go upstairs and get my bag and my portable ham radio which is in the charger. Make sure the wife and adult son have weapons ready and know something crazy is going on. Get them all in the basement, turn on the scanner down there (hooked up to two 6v lantern batteries). Tell the wife I'm going to work (RP&L) to help try to get the power back on.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    :popcorn:

Is the thread jacking over?

Can we get back to the scenario?

Is WETSU back?

I won't comment on anything that has been discussed.

With all due respect, I started this scenario thread to get folks to think.

At this point no one knows what is going on.
    You only know that your not allowed out unless medically necessary. That means unless you have been contacted by your superiors or have no comm orders to report even National Guard, Military on leave, Police, EMS, Firemen, Power & Light workers are not allowed on the streets. That means everyone is to stay at home.. EVERYONE.. And if your at work, you stay there.. NO ONE IS ALLOWED ON THE STREETS..
    No comms work.
    You have heard sirens.
    You have "seen" (actually heard) choppers.
    You have "seen" (actually heard) choppers and a military convoy.
    And now as you were waiting to hear from our "fearless leader" something like what happened locally has evidently happened in DC.

Should I continue?

Can we stay on point?

emmitsmithxd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Please continue!! I am enjoying seeing the different opinions of how one would handle a situation such as this from different viewpoints!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Seal up the house with the plastic from the inside & pass out the nuke pills.
    If I'm feeling real brave board up the house windows with plywood as well.

the .gov is lying about what *IS* happening 4 sure!

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Seal up the house with the plastic from the inside & pass out the nuke pills.
    If I'm feeling real brave board up the house windows with plywood as well.

the .gov is lying about what *IS* happening 4 sure!

well of course the government is lying, its what they do................

jake

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    its cool! no need to its not really my business. i dont remember coming a crossed you before and was just trying to figure out if your for real or a troll. sorry if that offends you, but theres lots of trolls on the internet and since i dont know you.............

jake

Let's all just go back to the topic please.

Last edited:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Let me guess.....you go through a SHTF experience annually right? :rolleyes:

You have a lot of very good information, but please quit picking on the kid and trying to be an internet superhero. It's not amusing. His life is none of your business.

I'd really appreciate it kind gentleman!

Everytime I post my own opinion Sailor and WUTSU seem to just come after me with hatred. I left for a while cause they seem to think they can just bully someone, even if those aren't their intentions.

Just look at the hundreds of threads people posted and they seem to always pick on me. Then they ask questions about my life and make references about me and insult me.

I'm not ok with this, but i'm sure the mods and admins will pick on this cyber bullying.

On the other hand Mr. Sailor has also been a good sport in some occasions. For example my HAM radio thread. He was kind enough to share some advice.

The only thing that puzzles me is WHY do they always ask about my life. If i post a comment on a thread it gets out of control all of a sudden.

Like i said, i do mind it, but i'm not wanting to get ban from this forum so i won't go to that low level. There is TONS of great info here and tons of great people, but i won't let 2 bad apples spoil it for me.

Good day!

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Not trying to be a superhero, just calling someone out. People who know way more than me offer advice and its like he never hears it.

He also has a habit then of posting the same question on 4 other forums when he does not get the answer he wants.

4 other forums?

Know more than others?

Please let's get back to the thread topic and stop with the bashing please. I would answer your previous comments but I know when to stop adding wood to the fire.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011

To prep is not to live in fear. When fear takes over you, it takes over your life. I know cause it has happen to me before and it SUCKS!

As for moving into the country side, that wouldn't be a bad idea. I have plans of doing so.....prob in 2yrs. As soon as i graduate, go work with my dad and save as much as possible.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    2 bad apples

Those two bad apples know more about preping and survival than most people have forgotten. I don't believe their intentions were to pick on you, but to educate you and get you to think. Sometimes education and the truth is a bit harsh especially with someone who has very few life experiences and training. Would you rather have it sugar coated? I am not sure why WETSU was banned, supposedly because of some naughty words or something like that. Seems sort of silly and petty to me. But the Mod of this section can do as they wish. So this is the Survival and Preparedness forum and a National level Survival and Preparedness instructor with one of the largest training companies in the US was banned? Just does not make sense to me, but then again a lot of things don't.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Those two bad apples know more about preping and survival than most people have forgotten. I don't believe their intentions were to pick on you, but to educate you and get you to think. Sometimes education and the truth is a bit harsh especially with someone who has very few life experiences and training. Would you rather have it sugar coated? I am not sure why WETSU was banned, supposedly because of some naughty words or something like that. Seems sort of silly and petty to me. But the Mod of this section can do as they wish. So this is the Survival and Preparedness forum and a National level Survival and Preparedness instructor with one of the largest training companies in the US was banned? Just does not make sense to me, but then again a lot of things don't.

Well you do not go around saying "I eat ppl like you for breakfast" & "would you prostitute for....whatever" and go asking personal questions and insulting someone else s post. Sure they might be survival instructors and have more experience than most of us put together, but you don't go around insulting others.

Like i said, I'm always respectful and i would like the same, nothing more. Please lets get back to topic.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Well you do not go around saying "I eat ppl like you for breakfast" & "would you prostitute for....whatever" and go asking personal questions and insulting someone else s post.

Don't be so sensitive, this is the internet.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I'd really appreciate it kind gentleman!

Everytime I post my own opinion Sailor and WUTSU seem to just come after me with hatred. I left for a while cause they seem to think they can just bully someone, even if those aren't their intentions.

Just look at the hundreds of threads people posted and they seem to always pick on me. Then they ask questions about my life and make references about me and insult me.

I'm not ok with this, but i'm sure the mods and admins will pick on this cyber bullying.

On the other hand Mr. Sailor has also been a good sport in some occasions. For example my HAM radio thread. He was kind enough to share some advice.

The only thing that puzzles me is WHY do they always ask about my life. If i post a comment on a thread it gets out of control all of a sudden.

Like i said, i do mind it, but i'm not wanting to get ban from this forum so i won't go to that low level. There is TONS of great info here and tons of great people, but i won't let 2 bad apples spoil it for me.

Good day!

I have a problem with what you say. Anyone who would have posted that their response to SHTF would be premeditated looting would have gotten the same response from me.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    :popcorn:
    At this point no one knows what is going on.
    You only know that your not allowed out unless medically necessary. That means unless you have been contacted by your superiors or have no comm orders to report even National Guard, Military on leave, Police, EMS, Firemen, Power & Light workers are not allowed on the streets. That means everyone is to stay at home.. EVERYONE.. And if your at work, you stay there.. NO ONE IS ALLOWED ON THE STREETS..
    No comms work.
    You have heard sirens.
    You have "seen" (actually heard) choppers.
    You have "seen" (actually heard) choppers and a military convoy.
    And now as you were waiting to hear from our "fearless leader" something like what happened locally has evidently happened in DC.

Hmm. Very doubtful that the power is out and we would not be allowed to go out to get it back on, but it's your party.

I'm at work now because I left shortly after the power went out and did so before all of the no one is allowed out stuff. So now I'm stuck here, we are trying to isolate Richmond from the rest of the grid and either cold start or re-start our own generators and the peaking generator to get at least our little island of a city back on line. I'm stuck here with the others who were already here or who responded right away when the power went out. Plenty of water, pop, and snacks to be had depending on how many made it in. Back up generator is on and plenty of fuel for the immediate future.

Seeing and hearing choppers and convoys are no big deal to me, used to see and hear them every day. What I do next depends on whether we get the generators started back up or not.

Of course, whether the power is on or not, at some point we are running out of food and I don't see myself staying here and starving. When that point comes, if we are still here, I would slip out the back gate at night and make my way home "cross country" or side streets only. There is not enough police or NG manpower to patrol every side street in town and I know them all. If I get arrested or shot, so be it, can't stay at work forever once the food in the snack machines runs out.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

:yesway:

Don't be so sensitive, this is the internet.

I have a problem with what you say. Anyone who would have posted that their response to SHTF would be premeditated looting would have gotten the same response from me.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Back to the subject...........

Even if no travel was allowed, I would still be on my merry way to my BOL.
    It's only a few miles from my house, and its where my small community of preppers would all go. Its pretty much wooded area the whole way, so I doubt any .gov officials would have a clue I even left. Then we hunker down, and wait for whats next.

Top Bottom