• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    One major problem is that HAM would work in all senerios besides a gaint CME which in turn wouldnt shudder, but even at that local 2m and 440 would work and like in my case I can do 65miles simplex on fm with 2m off batterys so you might get info that way. In case of nuclear attack all the lower HF bands would be crazy plus alot of 2m repeaters have backup and some solely use solar and batterys for power sources.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    One major problem is that HAM would work in all senerios besides a gaint CME which in turn wouldnt shudder, but even at that local 2m and 440 would work and like in my case I can do 65miles simplex on fm with 2m off batterys so you might get info that way. In case of nuclear attack all the lower HF bands would be crazy plus alot of 2m repeaters have backup and some solely use solar and batterys for power sources.

I kinda thought that as well. If some transmission were going out, then as long as your transceiver was working, and someone else's was, you'd be hearing something. :dunno:

I still stand. I grab a beer and let the family sleep. Slowly move some stuff around till I got word form the crew and move when I had a chance.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I kinda thought that as well. If some transmission were going out, then as long as your transceiver was working, and someone else's was, you'd be hearing something. :dunno:

I still stand. I grab a beer and let the family sleep. Slowly move some stuff around till I got word form the crew and move when I had a chance.
    Basically in any simplex work it is and that is all you do on the HF bands which are world wide and with my current limited set I can run only 5w and talk into indianapolis 100w will get Russia. Now the only thing is with a actually nuke detonation I bet we wouldnt last this long as after it was verified it was from a country not individual we would be sending more their way and if they had anything left it would be launched as well. WWIII should only last about 30-40 minutes ending in one or both sides being completely wiped off the face of the earth. So there not really much you could do especially if you were anywhere near a major population area. This is the reason me and a friend want to buy a titian silo to make our datacenter and house.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    this prepping thing i dont get. you guys talk about stocking up on food and staying inside. its not gonna happen like that. if this turns into a long term thing then for everyone of you that is "prepped" there is 10 or 20 who is not. and you wont last forever. if they cant get in then they will burn the house down. you would be better off moving. get away from the cities. and i dont believe i would take anything from a family. i would stay away from other people all i could. there would be so many empty stores and houses you wouldnt need to stock up. just my opinion but i live so close to indy that i would not feel safe staying put. i barely feel safe now let alone in a SHTF situation. now if i lived far away from the city then maybe i would stay put. i live in an apartment and there is no view. so i would be very vulnerable. like i said just my opinion.

Thats why I have claymores in the front yard and a moat :ar15:

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Can we please get back on topic and continue with the story?

I was really enjoying how it was evolving until the entire conversation was hijacked....

Also for me with the first 5 minutes....

Radio on, Tried to make a call on the cell so I immediately send a few texts out ( separate line of comm lines after all)

Grab all the bacon in the fridge and get to cookin.

Wait for more details....

**Side note** Since the TV announcement did say early on that travel was available when medically needed... I might just pack up and head in the direction of the BOL.... If I should get stopped on the way I'd grab a close by knife and make a nice gash in my arm or leg.... The injury would be minor but the blood would be enough to coat my shirt or pants quickly.... I now have a medical needto be on the street which I would explain to the officer.. Once I get the approval and I continue on my way to the BOL.... :D

Cheers

IndyPrepper

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

06:05 AM All comms still out including HAM, No power.

You hear your local "take shelter" siren go off as it would for a tornado.

06:07 AM Your power comes on and with that so does your TV, radio, etc come on with warning tones..

A voice comes on and states the usual that this is the Emergency broadcast, blah blah blah but instead of saying this is only a test a different voice comes on and makes the following statement:

"This is the Emergency Management Agency of (whatever county you live in) and this is a special announcement for all persons who can hear this transmission. The accident that has disrupted the power and communications grids in our area were not isolated. Other situations similar have begun to happen all over the country. The Govenor has declared a state of emergency and has enacted a curfew for all residents. All emergency workers, Police, EMS, Firemen, National Guard and Military on leave are to report imediately to their respective HQ's or nearest post. All medical personel are to report to the closest hospital even if they are not employed by that organization. Be sure to have credentials on your person. Until further notice all others are ordered to stay in your homes or move to a shelter. Those at work are to go directly home or to the nearest shelter. All businesses are to remain closed. All roads in the area of this broadcast are to be closed to non-military or other law enforcement vehicles at 9 AM local time. The National Guard, State, County and local Police will be patrolling the major interesections and roads in and out of most towns anyone not supposed to be in transit as ordered will be arrested and detained. When more information is available it will be passed along, prepare yourself for a lengthy power outage and remain calm. If you are not equipped to shelter in place move imediately to the closest shelter."

06:08 AM all comms go dead again.. Static, snow and dead air..

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yup the .gov is really, really LYING to us now! If you had your geny on I suggest you turn it off now. Things are gonna get real ugly, real fast. **SIGH**

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    This is turning into a Alien invasion scenario. At this point since no comms are unable to be established, I am moving to a RP in hopes the crew will be moving too. Without comms and my geographic locale, it will be a simple move.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Its zombies!....Im tired from being up all night....so Im going to bed and waiting for more information.....all weapons and supplies waiting next to bed....dog or alarm on battery back up will wake me if someone tries to come in.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Its zombies!....Im tired from being up all night....so Im going to bed and waiting for more information.....all weapons and supplies waiting next to bed....dog or alarm on battery back up will wake me if someone tries to come in.

exactly!

jake

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There

06:07 AM Your power comes on and with that so does your TV, radio, etc come on with warning tones..

A voice comes on and states the usual that this is the Emergency broadcast, blah blah blah but instead of saying this is only a test a different voice comes on and makes the following statement:

"[snip]...All medical personel are to report to the closest hospital even if they are not employed by that organization. Be sure to have credentials on your person. ...[snip]"

06:08 AM all comms go dead again.. Static, snow and dead air..

My wife used to work for Methodist Hospital in the ER, and still gets calls occasionally asking if she wants to come back. Hearing this would start a discussion, and would probably end with "..either I go in, or they come get me."

We say goodbye to my wife (hopefully not for the last time), and I'd spend the next hour or so comforting my kids and loading magazines.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011

06:07 AM Your power comes on and with that so does your TV, radio, etc come on with warning tones......

News today: Some 694,000 of the 1.4 million customers throughout Southern California who lost power have now had power restored, San Diego Gas & Electric Co. reported at about 2:45 a.m, 11 hours after the outage occured.

I'm thinking you know something you're not telling us........ :scared:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

07:45AM - Another set of choppers and another convoy going in the same direction as the last. This time you notice the choppers, it's a Blackhawk and two Apache's same configuration on the convoy, except the civilian semi was a sleeper cab..

08:17AM - One of your neighbors who was stuck at work arrived home. You walked over to him as with most other neighbors and asked what he had seen and or heard. He stated the roads were empty for the most part. He came from the direction opposite the convoy went. He saw road blocks being setup, National Guard manning most of them but some State, County and local LEO's were also closing roads and setting up check points. They were using barricades and spike strips. The major intersections were having portable concrete "K-Rails" setup.

08:53AM - You hear sirens at the closest large intersection to your home, someone must have been pulled over, sounded like a standard cop car siren. They must have started checking cars on the road early..

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    It about 9AM, packing the vehicle in the garage and PMC of the gear. The wife is making breakfast at this point. The neighbor was over earlier asking if I knew anything and he would appreciate I not **** outside on the lawn anymore.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

01:15PM You decide to venture out with the express purpose of gathering intel and returning home. Where do you go? What do you take?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom