• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Scavenging is much different. chrstian_indy was talking about going into a store that will most likely be occupied by employees whom might be protecting it and/or other civillans and stealing from them.

so then when does it turn from looting to scavenging? who makes that moral decision?

jake

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    who are you asking this too?

You, since your the one whom implied that you'd be the one doing it. What would you be willing to do for a backpack full of canned goods and or gold or silver if an employee thought he was his duty to protect it? Since you know he is unarmed, as you also implied that would be the case, what would you do he if tried to protect the store and the property there within. As he worked there for 10 years or so, and felt it was his job too.

so then when does it turn from looting to scavenging? who makes that moral decision?

jake

Really? Urgh.

Scavange
    1. To search through for salvageable material: scavenged the garbage cans for food scraps.
    2. To collect and remove refuse from: The streets are periodically scavenged.
    3. To collect (salvageable material) by searching
    1. To search through refuse for useful material.

Looting
    1. Valuables pillaged in time of war; spoils.
    2. Stolen goods.
    3. Goods illicitly obtained, as by bribery.
    1. To pillage; spoil.
    2. To take as spoils; steal.

Last edited:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    C-indy for someone who does not have the time to prep you sure seem to have enough time to scour youtube and post on forums.

it's call working from home. There are days i'm slam with work, others not so much.

You sure seem to care how not prepare I am.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    7.62;2152273but yeah i get you point....it would be dangerous....but i could not just sit and let it happen....i would rather die for a reason and know Im not a thief![/QUOTE said:
    No need to die for a reason just need to understand that you alone may not be able to hold off the uncoming wave of "zombies" that will come. However if you can build a network of "like minded" individuals then you may be able to repell the "zombies" that will come.

Other "like minded" groups will surely form. Note that "like minded" again does not have a "moral" spin to it.

The LA Blood Gang **IS** a like-minded group just like the minute-men in AZ **IS** a like-minded group as are the "Toys for Tots" people, etc. Birds of a feather will flock together. ;)

In a true SHTF TEOTWAYKI right, wrong, good, bad cease to exsit when society goes out the window with the bath tub. Those words do not exisit if you are talking about basic survival which comes from the word survive.

survive - definition of survive by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

That word has no "morals bearings".

I agree to an extend. But would you steal from a family?

Let's say the dad got shot and is wounded and you break into a home, and theres a wife and a 2 kids. Would you steal their food? :n00b:

It all depends.

I've stated this before many times here. Mankind at his core is nothing more than a barbaric animal when you remove society from him. He **IS** the worse in the animal kingdom beucase he will kill his fellow man for the sake of his own survival unlike the rest of the animals that kill for food or self-defense. Mankind has shown time and time again throught history to kill just to kill. It is in our make-up. By the same token we also have the other side of the coin where we will band together and help each other or even give up our lives if we think it will help others (we care of) live on. [Other animals have shown this as well so we are NOT special in that regard].

Now back to your question so you don't think I am trying to avoid it. I honestly do not know since I have never been in that situtation and hope to never have to be. My gut tells me that I would help the family not becuase it is "the right thing" to do but more for a selfish reason that these people may be able to help me long term. Again go back to my top statement. In a SHTF TEOTWAYIT alone or even with your family YOU WILL NOT survive. You are going to need a community to sruvive and re-do soceity. So thinking alone those lines it if best to have numbers (ie. able bodies) that can help defend/protect and rebuild society.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    You, since your the one whom implied that you'd be the one doing it. What would you be willing to do for a backpack full of canned goods and or gold or silver if an employee thought he was his duty to protect it? Since you know he is unarmed, as you also implied that would be the case, what would you do he if tried to protect the store and the property there within. As he worked there for 10 years or so, and felt it was his job too.

put it back in the shelves. Cause i'm sure if a major catastrophic where to occur, the employee would care more about 10 canned goods, than calling his family members to see if they're ok. :popcorn: :D

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    hard to explain what i do.

its cool! no need to its not really my business. i dont remember coming a crossed you before and was just trying to figure out if your for real or a troll. sorry if that offends you, but theres lots of trolls on the internet and since i dont know you.............

jake

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I agree partially. There are other factors (since the documentary is a few years old). Special benefits they get, how they treat their employees. Just because someone hires 2.1million ppl doesn't mean it makes them better. I can hire 2.1 million ppl and pay them $5hr and give them crappy healthcare/NO healthcare benefits.

I just realized what this thread strated as and its changed drastically lol....so i will respond once then get back on topic....don't believe everything the media tells you....or an ex walmart associate that got fire and is now mad...or a lifted winged man who creates a silly documentary. Take it from me.....you do not know what walmart does or doesn't do. Do some research and you will be amazed at how many great things you can find out about them. I know there are a lot of walmart hates here and you are welcome to have your opinion but make sure its based on facts please. I would be more than happy to meet anyone for a cup of coffee and tell you the truth about walmart. Not saying its a perfect company but its not ran by evil people either!

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Because you offer advice without facts or experience.

Let me guess.....you go through a SHTF experience annually right? :rolleyes:

You have a lot of very good information, but please quit picking on the kid and trying to be an internet superhero. It's not amusing. His life is none of your business.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Let me guess.....you go through a SHTF experience annually right? :rolleyes:

You have a lot of very good information, but please quit picking on the kid and trying to be an internet superhero. It's not amusing. His life is none of your business.

Not trying to be a superhero, just calling someone out. People who know way more than me offer advice and its like he never hears it.

He also has a habit then of posting the same question on 4 other forums when he does not get the answer he wants.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Not trying to be a superhero, just calling someone out. People who know way more than me offer advice and its like he never hears it.

He also has a habit then of posting the same question on 4 other forums when he does not get the answer he wants.

Hmmm....guess I've never really noticed. Thanks for the explanation then :ingo:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Wow, this thread sure did veer from the OP.

Anyway, if you pay attention, it's almost impossible to NOT prep. Kroger has crap 10/$10 all the time. Guess what, you don't gotta buy 10...get 5, or 3. Ramen are $0.19 at Wally world....dig some change out of your couch, vehicle console, off the dresser and go buy a couple next time you're at the store. An extra $5 per trip to the grocery will get you a couple weeks worth of food in no time. You don't have to buy the expensive, name-brand goods. This is SHTF food, "Great Value" brand is OK.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Cell phones have signal but no calls will go out, all circuits busy.. Same for land lines. Cable is out but satellite TV systems still work if you can power them. If you were able to turn on your TV and Satellite tuner no local channels are on the are, just snow on those channels.. You find that channels as far away as 200 miles are also out.

Radio's have static..

Ham radios are as if someone left a mic open, dead air..

If you look up there are no air planes in the sky you can see..

You hear sirens, police, fire, rescue... Not in your general neighborhood, but close enough to hear them..
    being im national guard i would report to my unit armoury.

Top Bottom