• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    I've never witnessed anything remotely close to badmouthing a new shooter. At least, not in any sort of malicious way.

ive seen it...hard---a few times---makes a new shooter want to head straight back home

probably not your particular sport---im guessing you do a run-n-gun---but some of the older shooting sports are very hard to crack...

lots of primadonnas who go nuts when the slightest thing isnt done right...

probably why those older sports are declining and the action shoots are way up....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ok,,,I know,,,but im not talking about just run-n-gun... seems theres a sport for every gun...

sometimes,,,ammos the cheap thing... getting kids to shoot target rifle as a competition sport like baseball gets expensive...

J.G. ANSCHTZ GmbH & Co. KG - Target Rifles

bild.php5

sure INGO is great,,,but INGO peopel are already in the fold I thought we were talking about everyone else out there in the world???

not evryone goes to INGO...

I forgot to add---politi'cs... not everyone is a Republican,,,but stand around a clubhouse a while and listen to the chatter!!! if you aint a Republican it will turn your ears red...

i also forgot to add smoking---not so many people smoke these days but gun clubs still have a lot of smokers....

My friend, if you are looking for excuses, I'll still help you out;

If you choose to hang on the top end of shooting sports, most people are out of financial range to afford it without sponsorship (ie, a truly special gifted shooter.)

As far as politics and smoking;
    If you have a problem with Repubs, no issue. If you have a problem with the 2nd amendment, we shouldn't be having this conversation, and you should be going on your way.
    Smoking? Jeez, this is 2010-11. Come find me, and we will make them cower down by saying "OMG, the second hand smoke will kill us all."

Bottom line;
    - If you are interested, come join us! We'll make you happy you did, or at least give you the perspective you were looking for.
    - If you are looking for reasons to not join us, it's simple, just don't.:)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Coach,

The gun show booth is important with vids playing, but the key is have the booth well staffed with folks with all types of gear on, representing all the classes (weapons, belts etc.)

Cost & intimidation are your enemies!

Cost:

1) The steel challenge is a great entry way into competitive shooting, with .22 etc. Upon getting the bug, then recruit them/expose them to the other action sports.

2) Wave new shooters first range fee for a competiton (they did this in CO)

Intimidation:

1) Have a two stage new shooter match or a complete "new shooter match"
    2) New shooter instruction after a match
    3) Open Range Day, like ACC has on all disciplines, at other clubs
    4) Creat a "Mentor Program" with the best teachers in each club, which makes new shooters feel welcome. These guys get incented via a gun, free club membership etc to really get behind and recruiting new shooters!

Just my two cents worth!

Thanks

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I got to say, cost really isn't an issue.

You can compete just fine with a box stock .22lr (Buckmark Camper NIB $275 yesterday at the gun show), three extra magazines ($75) and two boxs of CCI Mini Mags ($14). No one bats an eye if you shoot this. There were six or seven in the .22 pistol class last Friday.

I'm going to shoot with my $400 carry gun next time and factory 9mm ammo. ($33 for 150 rounds).

Intimidation from the other shooters is a non-issue. All of the guys were happy to help me out. Although, I didn't get quite the same attention as the other new shooter in our squad... Did I happen to mention she was a beautiful young lady?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I've debated making the drive to FNS several times, but always talk myself out of it. It's not that I don't want to shoot... it's that I'm afraid of being crushed in competition, laughed at for missing an "easy" shot or stage, or accidentally breaking a rule/being known as "that guy" for something I wasn't aware of.

1) I am better than 99.9% of the shooters you see at FNS, no one will crush you.

2) I thought they were laughing with me, not at me.

3) If you are that worried about the rules, chances are good you won't break any.

I think FNS is a great way to start. Probably as good a place as any for a stranger to walk in cold and start up. Their model is really not geared towards a heavy duty shooter, more so towards the new shooter. Seasoned shooters who show up at FNS know this, know it is not about winning. When my Daughter feels she is ready, I am taking her there......and now that means I have to drive 250 miles to do it.

I think this message gets lost about FNS at times, mainly because it is fun but it is about new shooters more so then anyone else. When I go I do shotgun because I get enough handgun elsewhere. I focus on one or two skills or issues of my own and observe others and have fun.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm still a new shooter, with limited experience, but some experience. So this kind of stuff is being directed towards my profile, I figured I would give some insight.

1) Cost can be an issue. I didn't have a handgun that I considered to be good for starting out. So over time I acquired a full sized handgun, magazines, holster, mag holders, etc. Any way to curb this will be great!

2) intimidation. I know NOW that like someone said, this is more of a gathering of friends having a good time, and shooting together, and the competition is an added bonus. Before I started I was VERY intimidated, and I have never even been to or seen a real match shot. Hell, I wish one thing I would have done in advance is gone to a match as a spectator, just to watch. Maybe you could do that with perspective people. Assign them to a squad, with no gun, nothing, just to watch. This would at least give them first hand knowledge of the goings on.

3) Take a class. I was lucky enough to take ACTs class on shooting matches and it helped me a LOT! I would recommend that to anyone!

4) start small. Shooting steel is something that I think should almost be pushed to the beginners. If you think USPSA matches are laid back, go to a steel match (caveat: All my experiences are tied to the way Riley CC does things). .22s are allowed, and almost EVERYONE, even the casual plinker has a .22 handgun or rifle of some sort. Ammo is cheap, PLUS, you dont necessarily have to have all the holsters, mags, etc, that you do for a USPAS match, BUT you get a lot of the same feel and familiarity at the steel match which will roll over to USPSA.

5) advertising of some sort. I had no clue that USPSA and steel existed so close to me.

6) more steel at riley please :)

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    My friend, if you are looking for excuses, I'll still help you out;

excuses??? excuse is what you use to get out of something you should be doing...

youre asking what needs to be done to get new people involved...

people out there can choose among a lot of things to do... shooting sports are competing with LOTS of other things... im telling you why they might not choose THIS thing to do...

im telling you what ive heard,,,and i aint talking about myself...

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    im telling you what ive heard,,,and i aint talking about myself...

Thanks for clearing that up. My read on your other posts was this was your experience.

Since it isn't your experience, what do you say to people on the outside to get them involved? It sounds like you have some experience with it.

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    QUOTE=crispy;1509941]I got to say, cost really isn't an issue.

You can compete just fine with a box stock .22lr (Buckmark Camper NIB $275 yesterday at the gun show), three extra magazines ($75) and two boxs of CCI Mini Mags ($14). No one bats an eye if you shoot this. There were six or seven in the .22 pistol class last Friday.

I'm going to shoot with my $400 carry gun next time and factory 9mm ammo. ($33 for 150 rounds).

Intimidation from the other shooters is a non-issue. All of the guys were happy to help me out. Although, I didn't get quite the same attention as the other new shooter in our squad... Did I happen to mention she was a beautiful young lady?[/QUOTE]

That is a good point:D

However, joshward, mongo, and myself have shot with her is USPSA. She was getting frusrated and we were trying to help her out. You were doing fine, until you mentioned that you got the hang of it. You saw what happened ;)

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    That is a good point:D

However, joshward, mongo, and myself have shot with her is USPSA. She was getting frusrated and we were trying to help her out. You were doing fine, until you mentioned that you got the hang of it. You saw what happened ;)

I was frustrated because I swear I was hitting the targets but that little .22 wasn't knocking those targets over on the Texas Star stage and I couldn't hear when I was hitting them.

You guys with .45s don't have that problem.

I'm gonna rectify that next time...

BTW, do we know what day it happens in January? Will it be on the 7th? If it is the 14th, I've got Pinewood Derby going on... Nevermind... Just checked the schedule and it is the 14th. I'll miss that night for sure. :( I'm the Pinewood Derby Chair and I'll be setting up the track that night...

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I was frustrated because I swear I was hitting the targets but that little .22 wasn't knocking those targets over on the Texas Star stage and I couldn't hear when I was hitting them.

BTW, do we know what day it happens in January? Will it be on the 7th? If it is the 14th, I've got Pinewood Derby going on... Nevermind... Just checked the schedule and it is the 14th. I'll miss that night for sure. :( I'm the Pinewood Derby Chair and I'll be setting up the track that night...

Always the Second Friday of the Month. Yes 22s are a (*#^$ on falling targets.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Thanks for clearing that up. My read on your other posts was this was your experience.

Since it isn't your experience, what do you say to people on the outside to get them involved? It sounds like you have some experience with it.

well,,, it is my experience--i guess-- its what ive seen go on at ranges...and with shooters i brought... theres only so many times i can say --just ignore him hes grumpy-- before the new shooter gives up...

its hard to make a new sport shooter... i handhold several times and hope the fire catches... its hard enough to make a new shooter whatsoever,,,especially a competition

usually,,,it doesnt take... the shooter enjoys popping off rounds or shotgun shells and is in it for that,,,but doesnt want to go past that to the sport...

getting more shooters to the range and comfortable with informal shooting is the key to getting more shooters to any shooting sport

if jerks or harda%%es make informal shooting not fun for a shooter,,,you can kiss goodbye any chance that shooter will graduate to a sport...

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009

Yes, it will be the 14th. I think several will probably be manning booths at the 1500 as well. I have Saturday duty at the USPSA booth.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A "Pinewood Derby" stage would be cool. Roll clays down a track.

6 clays in 5 seconds.

I agree and have had that in my head for several years. There are many problems with doing it consistently for several shooters.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    With the discussion of being laughed at, which ultimately relates to people not being as "good" at do something as they want to be or think the ought to be, I have to share something I said to Coach years ago (when he was still young).

We were in a squad together during our "Berm Aid" match at RileyCC. At some point in the endless conversation, the topic arose of people refusing to shoot matches because they couldn't win, and if they couldn't win, they didn't want to do it. I said something like, "If I only did things I was good at doing, I'd be limited to watching television and running my mouth."

The point is, who cares if you suck and who cares if you are the best? Only you. Do it because it's fun and you like doing it. If it's not fun for you for whatever reason, don't do it.

No one is going to ridicule a new shooter because of their performance. The only people who get ridiculed are people who ask for it. And ask for it. And ask for it.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    With the discussion of being laughed at, which ultimately relates to people not being as "good" at do something as they want to be or think the ought to be, I have to share something I said to Coach years ago (when he was still young).

We were in a squad together during our "Berm Aid" match at RileyCC. At some point in the endless conversation, the topic arose of people refusing to shoot matches because they couldn't win, and if they couldn't win, they didn't want to do it. I said something like, "If I only did things I was good at doing, I'd be limited to watching television and running my mouth."

The point is, who cares if you suck and who cares if you are the best? Only you. Do it because it's fun and you like doing it. If it's not fun for you for whatever reason, don't do it.

No one is going to ridicule a new shooter because of their performance. The only people who get ridiculed are people who ask for it. And ask for it. And ask for it.

Hmmm who could you be referring to?

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    ive seen it...hard---a few times---makes a new shooter want to head straight back home

There are d-bags in any sport. You will find the majority of the clubs around Indiana are not that way.

lots of primadonnas who go nuts when the slightest thing isnt done right...

and they are fun to watch, but I'm only competing against myself and the other noobs.

There are many of us in this thread who have only been shooting USPSA a year or two. We've all be welcomed and learned from some of the best in the area.

Yeah, you will run in to an a-hole here and there, but I don't let the 1% dictate my attitude towards the other 99.

I made it a point this season to squad with people I didn't know... now I know probably 50 other shooters and learned a lot.

Come join the fun, it's only as competative as you want it to be.... but we ALWAYS have a good time.

Top Bottom