New Mexico governor issues order to suspend open and concealed carry of guns in Albuquerque

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Report from the ground, 22 miles east of Albuquerque.

1. Open carried Sat, Sunday, and Monday on my normal dog walk in the east mountains. Probably pretty safe, once in a while see a Bern Co Sheriff. This morning news broke that BCSO and APD would not be enforcing said insanity.
    2. Sunday went to church in Edgewood, Santa Fe County, and open carried into church for the first time in my life. P226, so not a tiny hard to see firearm. Pastor said something about the decree in passing about it, but not the main topic of discussion by far. As it should be. Nothing said to me by anyone, tho I am pretty sure somebody off to my right likely noticed. I’m not big on the idea of open carry in church, concealed absolutely. I do open carry everywhere else as I DO NOT have my NM Conceal Carry Permission Slip and no plans to get it.

3. Today got a little braver and went to Home Depot on Eubank to purchase a security door for our daughter, who lives in ABQ. Home Depot either ALWAYS has private security or BCSO on site for loss prevention. Today was private security. I did not try to avoid them, not sure they noticed but if they didn’t they should be fired as I walked right past them twice. Have to admit I was somewhat relieved BCSO was not on site.

4. I never go to ABQ unarmed except for work as a truck driver where a firearm would get me fired and I won’t leave it in my personal vehicle for two nights. It is locked inside an electric gate and would likely be safe, but not taking a chance. I do have a gun safe bolted under my back seat, in a pick up.

5. I’m flying my US Flag upside down as a declaration of distress. Nothing happened with that yet except three people honked driving by. I’m in a very conservative area, our state rep is even a Republican. Stefani Lord.

6. Pray for us. Probably should have been #1.
    What is the significance of open carrying in Sante Fe County, which apparently is not covered by your governor's stupid edict.
    What is the connection?

As you stated, private security is tasked with lose prevention. Were you stealing the door?

The only time the U.S. Flag may be flown upside down is as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    The left did the same thing when Roe v. Wade was reversed. Are going to start inappropriately using other distress signals to make political statements, maybe repeatedly calling 911 or pulling fire alarms?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    What is the significance of open carrying in Sante Fe County, which apparently is not covered by your governor's stupid edict.
    What is the connection?

As you stated, private security is tasked with lose prevention. Were you stealing the door?

The only time the U.S. Flag may be flown upside down is as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    The left did the same thing when Roe v. Wade was reversed. Are going to start inappropriately using other distress signals to make political statements, maybe repeatedly calling 911 or pulling fire alarms?

:rolleyes:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    What is the connection?

The inability to defend one's self in a crime riddled city that won't keep the criminals off the street seems a bit dire.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Finding Kelly's limits by exceeding them?

giphy.webp

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I keep hearing that she was on the list to be Biden's VP, until Harris checked more boxes?
    Maybe she wants to be Newsome's VP?

Actually, they have an senate seat up for election in 2024 (Heinrich's), but she doesn't seem to have many intersectionality points. That is the logical next seat at the trough for those unable or unwilling to get a real job or career

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What is the connection?
    The guvnah has imposed statistical conditions that can trigger a similar ban anywhere 'gun crime' (as defined by her) meets that criteria

A bad weekend in the low rent areas around SAF could trigger a ban there also. No place in NM is safe until her order is struck down

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The guvnah has imposed statistical conditions that can trigger a similar ban anywhere 'gun crime' (as defined by her) meets that criteria

A bad weekend in the low rent areas around SAF could trigger a ban there also. No place in NM is safe until her order is struck down
    Exactly.
    I think it was Nate the Lawyer that showed a buttload of cities with higher "gun violence" that could then cite it as justification

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I don't see ANY of them moving to arrest or remove her, even though she has committed multiple crimes on both state and federal levels... even though they have BOTH the office and duty to do so.
    This is the crux of the problem. I wrote on this subject above, and to the AUSA in New Mexico. Some law enforcement agency should have already frog marched her out of the governors residence.

Frankly at this point her actions are not political (i.e. impeachment) they are criminal.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Umm maybe true but too early to say. Right now it's government that is standing up to her
    Not just....GOA has filed a d WTP

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    She is termed out after this year. I’m pretty sure there is no option for impeachment for .gov in New Mexico, and I doubt she would ever resign. New Mexico was like the third longest state to continue the mask mandates. There are still a lot of people in ABQ wearing masks and it almost seems like they are coming back now? We moved here in June of 2021 after a full year of no masks in Wisconsin and the day we got here she reinstated a mask mandate. Which was mostly ignored outside of ABQ. Health care is pretty terrible here, I guess the Natives got hit very hard by Covid, but lots of non running water along with alcoholism, drugs, and generally unhealthy lifestyle probably didn’t set people up for success? Education is 51/51, weather is mostly awesome. Scenery is beautiful. Kind of a place of extremes I would say. We moved here for grandkids, my wife is a retired school district administrator/former teacher and she is either going to home school grandkids or private school. No way public school in ABQ!!!

Hey thanks for the updates and I feel your pain. This will get resolved one way or another. We the people will not stand for this BS.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John

If his open carrying in Sante Fe County would keep their governor for extending her ban to other counties beyond Bernalillo County, why did not the fact that people were already OCing in all parts of the state keep the ban from occurring.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    What is the connection?

First off, I’ll say that any actions were taken as a need to take “some” action. I’m not particularly thrilled about any of this, the .gov or my actions. I would basically like to just leave people alone, and be left alone. But, we’re not being left alone……

The mention of open carry in Santa Fe county was to contrast to the dog walks, which took place in Bernalillo County, early on in this situation. You are correct, Santa Fe county is not under this edict. As I mentioned, I do not have my NM Conceal Carry permit, so my only option is to open carry, or conceal illegally. While that is technically illegal for me, it is a misdemeanor only. So, what to do about being armed in church puts me between a rock and a hard place. The NMCCP requires a 16 hour class, fingerprints, background check, and is a couple of hundred dollars to get. I’m not opposed to training, only making it mandatory to exercise a Right. I’m not inclined to put myself on a list that our .gov can easily release to the public, as was done in California recently. Covid exposed that she is not an original thinker, merely following what California did, just two weeks later. It’s something else I have no doubt she would do.

I paid for the door. Bernalillo County officers could have been on duty, my day may have gone differently. You can tell who’s there by the vehicles parked outside. Would I have also open carried inside if they were there? I planned on it, but didn’t have to make that decision then and there.

Flying the flag upside down, see my original point #5, focusing on “dire distress”. I’m not really thrilled with the idea either, to be honest. I was thinking I might get a visit from a concerned citizen, or maybe a County Sheriff’s officer to see if we had an emergency, or needed help. That didn’t happen, so far. We are on a busy road, couple hundred cars at least go by a day. Only direct paved east/west road for miles, other than the Interstste.

Last edited:

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I think flying the flag upside down is wrong.

It means SEND HELP.

As in, need a doc, and no phone available.
    Mom broke a leg, or is very sick and only kids are here.
    Stuff like that.

It's not a "symbol" of political views.

It's like calling 911.
    One of many found under a simple search. One person’s opinion, you can agree or disagree. I don’t disagree with you, in all honesty. This is front and center for me, living here. My options for expressing my displeasure are/were limited. Short of taking off work, attending a rally in person, etc. I’m doing something……..

I could be wrong.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    One of many found under a simple search. One person’s opinion, you can agree or disagree. I don’t disagree with you, in all honesty. This is front and center for me, living here. My options for expressing my displeasure are/were limited. Short of taking off work, attending a rally in person, etc. I’m doing something……..

I could be wrong.

I think you're right. Wife and I love the Southwest a lot. Arizona has been Kalifonicated and NM has been a liberal **** hole for damn near a century. Maybe we just move to mexico?

Top Bottom