• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Still curious what attendance was. The only thing I found was they were hoping for 70,000 people but not sure if they reached it. Looked like maybe a quarter of that.

The crowd sure looked sparse. Yes, I know it seats over 250K, but they have so many seats blocked and even after grouping the attendees together in certain areas it still looked empty.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I read a good article on the fall of NASCAR last year. It makes me sad as a former fan who tunes in when it is worth it. I bounced over to the Coca-Cola 600 after the Indy since Larson was pulling the double, and they now just randomly red-flag an event for a moment of silence? I mean, the 600 was always a flat-out race. Competition Yellows and COT all make it dumb. I mean, if you want to zero out the top 20 drivers in points at the last 10 races at the end to have it competitive, I get it, but the playoff idea is also weird.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Pocono Ratings

"NASCAR and NBC Sports earned 2.391 million average viewers for the Cup Series race at Pocono on the USA Network. In 2023, the network earned 2.808 million average viewers on Sunday, which is roughly down 15% compared to last year. It wasn’t a great TV turnout for the Cup Series race at Pocono, but there is a lot of excitement for what’s to come in 2024."

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Still curious what attendance was. The only thing I found was they were hoping for 70,000 people but not sure if they reached it. Looked like maybe a quarter of that.

The crowd sure looked sparse. Yes, I know it seats over 250K, but they have so many seats blocked and even after grouping the attendees together in certain areas it still looked empty.
    I was there, bigger crowds on carb day.
    The restart with the number 6 pulling into the pits should not allow the number 5 to move into the number one position from the number 3 starting position.
    He didn't move into the #1 position, he became the #2 car and Blaney became the #1 spot. Race started on Blaney. Reddick could have picked to start behind Keselowski if he had wanted to.
    They alienated the fans so bad trying to attract younger fans that now they have nobody
    I really think they are screwed no matter what. I hate that they go to Darlington, Bristol, and Martinsville twice a season. I want more road/street races. The "legacy" fans want short track racing.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I was there, bigger crowds on carb day.

He didn't move into the #1 position, he became the #2 car and Reddick became the #1 spot. Race started on Reddick. Reddick could have picked to start behind Keselowski if he had wanted to.

I really think they are screwed no matter what. I hate that they go to Darlington, Bristol, and Martinsville twice a season. I want more road/street races. The "legacy" fans want short track racing.
    Darlington is one of my favorite tracks, so I'm biased. But with these new cars being such crap in dirty air, it has ruined Darlington. Even the superspeedways the racing wasnt nearly as good as it was 10 years ago there, and I generally hate superspeedway "hold it to the floor" racing.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    If they want to get TV ratings up, I think they should work with IndyCar to have some kind of an agreement on scheduling. Some people are fans of both series and end up making a choice between the two when they are scheduled at close times.

The people most likely to watch NASCAR that aren't, are the IndyCar fans.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Brickyard attendance

“It’s a really exciting moment for us for race day,” Boles told IndyStar. “May was such a huge thing for us to execute (Indy 500) race day the way we did with the weather, but in a lot of ways, making that big a jump on our race day attendance for the Brickyard 400 is a huge thing for this organization, NASCAR and our event. It’s a great resetting point.

“We’re going to take this momentum and growth we built from 2023 to 2024 and continue to grow this event. I went home last night at 11 p.m. and that’s what I thought about the whole way home – just how amazing it is to actually feel like we could grow this.”

There’s been little realistic faith in that possibility for some time. From 2002 to the last time fans attended a Cup oval race at IMS in 2019, the track had seen consistent declines in ticket sales. Those ranged from drops off a cliff from 2008-2009 – following the ‘Tire Debacle’ when estimated attendance fell from 240,000 to 180,000 and then down to 140,000 by 2011 – to minuscule ones in recent years after crowd numbers had already dipped into the five-figure range.

240,000 to 180,000 seemed like a huge loss, but when celebrating 70,000 fans you realize just how bad it has gotten.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Brickyard attendance

“It’s a really exciting moment for us for race day,” Boles told IndyStar. “May was such a huge thing for us to execute (Indy 500) race day the way we did with the weather, but in a lot of ways, making that big a jump on our race day attendance for the Brickyard 400 is a huge thing for this organization, NASCAR and our event. It’s a great resetting point.

“We’re going to take this momentum and growth we built from 2023 to 2024 and continue to grow this event. I went home last night at 11 p.m. and that’s what I thought about the whole way home – just how amazing it is to actually feel like we could grow this.”

There’s been little realistic faith in that possibility for some time. From 2002 to the last time fans attended a Cup oval race at IMS in 2019, the track had seen consistent declines in ticket sales. Those ranged from drops off a cliff from 2008-2009 – following the ‘Tire Debacle’ when estimated attendance fell from 240,000 to 180,000 and then down to 140,000 by 2011 – to minuscule ones in recent years after crowd numbers had already dipped into the five-figure range.

240,000 to 180,000 seemed like a huge loss, but when celebrating 70,000 fans you realize just how bad it has gotten.
    Until crapcar fixes their short track package to have good side by side grip on flat tracks, Indy will always be a poor optic. The loss of lateral grip is killing them.

Top Bottom