My New Fish Tank Is Finally Set Up(Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Water conditioner is important, but where do you think the ammonia and nitrites are going without bacteria?

Good luck and I hope all your fish survive, but that seems risky.

BTW, how many fish do you have now?

I have 7. I have always used that process when replacing all the water. I have never had a fish die on me. So, I stick with what works.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I can't control myself!

I bought two yellow labs yesterday and now all I can think is "dang, I need 3-4 more to really liven up the tank."

I only bought two because I wanted to see how the other fish reacted to them, but as far as the school of peacocks goes, you can only tell them apart because of their appearance...They just follow them around the tank like they are apart of the school.

My nice camera is in Gatlinburg, TN until tomorrow night...There's a good chance I'll have 5-6 yellow labs by the time I have a chance to take some pictures.:n00b:

I know the excitement of getting a new tank, but be careful with mixing different species. The terror,peacocks,and labs will get along at first. If one finds a female to shack up with, You might find yourself with a super "stressed" tank. Plus, all three require different diets.

Speaking of new fish:
    Here are some F1 I picked up a few months ago that are done coloring up!

tyrannochromis maculiceps
    tyrannochromismaculicep.jpg

nimbochromis livingston
    nimbochromislivingstoni.jpg

nimbochromis fuscotaenia
    nimbochromisfuscotaenia.jpg

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I know the excitement of getting a new tank, but be careful with mixing different species. The terror,peacocks,and labs will get along at first. If one finds a female to shack up with, You might find yourself with a super "stressed" tank. Plus, all three require different diets.

Speaking of new fish:
    Here are some F1 I picked up a few months ago that are done coloring up!

I was told by the pet store owner that the terror would be fine, but I've read differently since then...But I've also read that sometimes they are fine, so hopefully I have one that doesn't get too aggressive...(S)He's one of the prettiest freshwater fish I've seen.

Everyone says that yellow labs and peacocks will be fine together, so all I have to worry about is Mr. Banner(Green Terror). I'll be watching closely and I'll yank him if he gets aggressive.

Do you know what other species work well with peacocks and labs? I'm either going to stick with just peacocks and labs with one terror, but if he gets mean I wouldn't mind going with a third small school to replace the terror.

I give them 3 different types of food at feeding time...Is there food you recommend?

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I'm feeding mine omega one super color flake,New Life Spectrum(pellets) About once a week I will give the mbuna's a leaf of Romain lettuce or zucchini (boiled so it sinks) or Sushi seaweed wraps.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm feeding mine omega one super color flake,New Life Spectrum(pellets) About once a week I will give the mbuna's a leaf of Romain lettuce or zucchini (boiled so it sinks) or Sushi seaweed wraps.

+1 on omega flakes! I'm also fond of hikari brand products.

Omega One Cichlid flakes is the majority of their diet. I also try to give them Hikari Cichlid Gold(floating pellets), but they will barely eat them and I end up netting most of them out.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Omega One Cichlid flakes is the majority of their diet. I also try to give them Hikari Cichlid Gold(floating pellets), but they will barely eat them and I end up netting most of them out.

In my experience, they seem to shy away from floating pellets. I think it's because they are not top water feeders? Plus, floating pellets have a tendency to expand more in the fishes stomach which can cause bloat. How many times a day are you feeding your fish and how much?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    In my experience, they seem to shy away from floating pellets. I think it's because they are not top water feeders? Plus, floating pellets have a tendency to expand more in the fishes stomach which can cause bloat. How many times a day are you feeding your fish and how much?

They aren't top water feeders, but I don't have a single fish in the tank(pleco excluded) that doesn't rush to the top as soon they see me.

I feed them as much they can eat in 1-2 minutes twice a day.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Try some cucumber slices, mine loved them, water melon chunks were also greatly appreciated treat, however water melon makes one heck of a mess in the tank so I generally only gave it to them the day before the scheduled maintenance/cleaning of their tank.

Also spirulina algae wafers, broken into small pieces (so they don't fight over them) & pre-soaked (to help prevent bloat) were another favorite in my Mbuna tank, I'd also recommend pre-soaking any pellet food prior to putting it in the tank.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I have 7. I have always used that process when replacing all the water. I have never had a fish die on me. So, I stick with what works.

That's crazy...You obviously have better luck than me.

I killed the 1 and only fish that actually survived my bad fish care when I was younger by putting him in a new tank w/o cycling. He was a large gold fish that I had for about 2 years...

I'm actually still ticked off I killed him like that.

Try some cucumber slices, mine loved them, water melon chunks were also greatly appreciated treat, however water melon makes one heck of a mess in the tank so I generally only gave it to them the day before the scheduled maintenance/cleaning of their tank.

Also spirulina algae wafers, broken into small pieces (so they don't fight over them) & pre-soaked (to help prevent bloat) were another favorite in my Mbuna tank, I'd also recommend pre-soaking any pellet food prior to putting it in the tank.

Hmm, interesting. I've never fed my fish anything but fish food, but I'll try that sometime.

My fish love algae wafers...I actually have trouble feeding my pleco, because there isn't enough algae in my tank yet and when I drop the wafers in, my peacocks usually eat them before my bristlenose can get a hold of one.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I actually have trouble feeding my pleco, because there isn't enough algae in my tank yet and when I drop the wafers in, my peacocks usually eat them before my bristlenose can get a hold of one.

Pleco's also love cucumber slices & water melon.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    My fish love algae wafers...I actually have trouble feeding my pleco, because there isn't enough algae in my tank yet and when I drop the wafers in, my peacocks usually eat them before my bristlenose can get a hold of one.

Feed him at night once the light is off. As pelco's become older they usually turn nocturnal

Sushi wraps (seaweed)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOdRVhOReyc[/ame]

zucchini
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmYT_Vif9Cc[/ame]

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well, things aren't kosher in my smaller tank anymore and my biggest mbuna is finally starting to get territorial...He's been chasing the 2 smaller mbunas around, so I decided to yank my favorite fish out and put him in the new tank.

I've heard mixed things on the cichlid forum; some say he could be fine in the tank and some say he could get aggressive...Only time will tell, but I wasn't going to let him get eaten alive.

This is him(/her)...He really adds a lot of color/character to the new tank, so I really hope he can live peacefully in there.

DSC_4944.jpg

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Well, things aren't kosher in my smaller tank anymore and my biggest mbuna is finally starting to get territorial...He's been chasing the 2 smaller mbunas around, so I decided to yank my favorite fish out and put him in the new tank.

I've heard mixed things on the cichlid forum; some say he could be fine in the tank and some say he could get aggressive...Only time will tell, but I wasn't going to let him get eaten alive.

This is him(/her)...He really adds a lot of color/character to the new tank, so I really hope he can live peacefully in there.

DSC_4944.jpg

That's a good looking Kenyi it looks pretty young though & it's hard to tell for certain from the photo but that might be a juvenile male getting ready to change from it's baby (blue) to it's adult (yellow) coloring, but it could be just a "stressed" female.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    That's a good looking Kenyi it looks pretty young though & it's hard to tell for certain from the photo but that might be a juvenile male getting ready to change from it's baby (blue) to it's adult (yellow) coloring, but it could be just a "stressed" female.

What color are females?

It's probably just the lighting, but that fish wasn't stressed at the time I took the picture. He/she doesn't have any brown or yellow in it.

I've had that one for almost 6 months...He was about half that size when I got him(if that helps at all on determining the sex).

Edit: The scientific name is Pseudotropheus socolofi...So I don't believe that's a "kenyi."

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Joe,

All Kenyi's are blue w/black vertical stripes when they are young, the females will retain that same coloration throughout their entire life, however when males hit "puberty" they will start to change from their normal blue coloration to a beautiful golden yellow & their black stripes will fade from black to a very faint slightly darker yellow.

Top Bottom