My New Fish Tank Is Finally Set Up(Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The jack dempsey and the blue cichlid are sweet. Do you have a heater? tropical fish won't last long without one, you can get away with it in saltwater but any temp fluctuations by a degree or two can screw everything up. If you turn off the bubbles the tank won't stink as bad since you're not circulating the stench. Also until bacteria forms on your filter media, you're tank will stink. The bacteria eat the crap.

Really? I have not had a heater on my tank since I have owned it. Which has been for about 4 years. I have had very good luck with my fish living a good while. It never drops below 65 degrees. I only have Tetras and a Cory though.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    any particular reason your running air?

The air stones actualy help oxigenate the water. I do not know about Chilids. However the Cories will swim quickly to the top of the tank to get oxygen. I added a air stone and mine stoped doing it. Plus, I have noticed that my fish live longer with the air stone.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Dude, When I looked at the first pic I thought you'd gotten a pic of my old set up some how! Could be a twin of how my tank was set up. Very nice!!! I miss my tanks but had to let them go b/c of frequent moves. I'll get another large tank some day.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    The air stones actualy help oxigenate the water. I do not know about Chilids. However the Cories will swim quickly to the top of the tank to get oxygen. I added a air stone and mine stoped doing it. Plus, I have noticed that my fish live longer with the air stone.

I don't run air on any of my tanks and never had an issue. as long as the surface is distrubed your getting O2 in the water. now joe are you putting real or fake plants in there? because if real I would take the air out and CO2 in.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Looks good. I'm debating, buying a biger tank and going with Chilids.

Cichlids are the only way to go in my opinion. New world, old world, tangs, South Americans. Whatever you like. I have 5 tanks through out my house. All cichlids. And each tank looks completely different then then the next. That's what I think is so cool about cichlids.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I don't run air on any of my tanks and never had an issue. as long as the surface is distrubed your getting O2 in the water. now joe are you putting real or fake plants in there? because if real I would take the air out and CO2 in.

You really need to add A C02 tank if you are doing real plants

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

I hadn't completely decided, but if I have to remove the air, I'll probably go with fake.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Seems as though I'm beginning to just talk to myself in this thread, but I have another question...

Tonight little man and I went to the Old dam to look for some rocks for the aquarium and we found several...What is a good way of getting them tank ready? The Ohio is freaking nasty.

So far I've soaked them in scalding hot water for an hour or so, spread them out in the tub and rinsed them and now they are soaking again in a 5 gal bucket.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Seems as though I'm beginning to just talk to myself in this thread, but I have another question...

Tonight little man and I went to the Old dam to look for some rocks for the aquarium and we found several...What is a good way of getting them tank ready? The Ohio is freaking nasty.

So far I've soaked them in scalding hot water for an hour or so, spread them out in the tub and rinsed them and now they are soaking again in a 5 gal bucket.

boiling and bleach.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I add about a quarter cup of bleach to the water in my 5 gallon bucket when I am sterilizing aquarium stuff.

I usually let the stuff soak in the bleach water solution for about 10 minutes before rinsing really well under a running facet.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I add about a quarter cup of bleach to the water in my 5 gallon bucket when I am sterilizing aquarium stuff.

I usually let the stuff soak in the bleach water solution for about 10 minutes before rinsing really well under a running facet.

Could I pour the bleach in now and let it soak overnight or does it need to be rinsed more quickly?

Edit: I just saw this post:

GRRRR now you've got me wanting to setup another cichlid tank, thanks a lot Joe!

It does look like a great start man, congrats again on the new tank, what's the stand/cabinet look like? are you considering slapping on some sort of background to the backside of the tank in order to hide the wires and stuff?

The cabinet is all black with two doors and an open center with a shelf. It is pretty nice, especially considering how much I paid for it. I'm heading to bed, but I'll snap a picture of it tomorrow.

I'll be adding some sort of background, but I haven't decided what I want yet.

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    So I keep hearing about all these awesome setups you guys have, but no pictures...What gives?:dunno:

I'm always up for some new ideas!

my stuff is ugly right now because I'm growing everything out.

233070799_photobucket_16640_.jpg

233070799_photobucket_16642_.jpg

233070799_photobucket_16643_.jpg

Top Bottom