My New Fish Tank Is Finally Set Up(Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I switched from cichlid tanks to community tanks several years ago so I have a 55 gallon tank w/gold fish, a 29 gallon w/tetras and a 20 gallon w/molly's.

Granted my tanks are not very cool or exciting but I enjoy them just the same, if anyone is interested in seeing them I guess I can break out the glass cleaner later on tonight & snap a few photos.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I switched from cichlid tanks to community tanks several years ago so I have a 55 gallon tank w/gold fish, a 29 gallon w/tetras and a 20 gallon w/molly's.

Granted my tanks are not very cool or exciting but I enjoy them just the same, if anyone is interested in seeing them I guess I can break out the glass cleaner later on tonight & snap a few photos.

Once I figure out what to do with my 3 remaining auratus', I'm going to turn my 20 gallon into a community tank. I'll probably stock it with tetras and neons.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's all your fault

I went to Petco and got a new tank and some decorative crap. Decided to not go with child's. Now I just need to get more fish.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I LOVE Green Terrors!!!! :) Awesome tank man! Maybe we should have a show us your fish tank thread???

Yeah, green terrors are awesome looking fish and very cheap considering how neat they look...After I got him, I immediately wanted to go back and get more, but I read that they can reach 8" in length and get aggressive.

I've heard mixed reviews about them. Some say they will get along fine with others and some say they live up to their name...Hopefully I bought a peaceful one.

Yes, you should definitely start a fish tank thread.:yesway:

When this tank is finished, you need to stand up, wring your hands and declare that this battle station is FULLY OPERATIONAL.

LOL.

I still have some work to do on it...I want some more rocks, more plants(I think I'm going with fake) and a background.

I bought 3 (fake) plants and a background today, but I asked for a 48" sheet and the dumb girl cut it to 46".:rolleyes:

I think I'm going to run back there and get 3 more plants and the appropriate sized background here in just a minute. I'll post pics when everything is in the tank.

I'm also going to add 4-5 more yellow labs, but I want to make sure my tank is 100% balanced before I drop any more money on fish.

Here is a yellow lab:

Electric_Yellow_Cichlid.jpg

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    When cleaning rocks, I just scrubbed them with a good brush then boiled them for about 10min. Nothing lives after a 140 degrees and a few minutes. As long as you have good water movement that breaks the surface, you really don't need an aerator but, it's your tank and that's what maks it so fricken cool.

Here's my 400gl tang tank. Pictures were taken by my buddy who knows what he's doing. them

copyof4f3e1688.jpg

img6103.jpg

copyof4f3e1582.jpg

img6207o.jpg

picture133v.jpg

img6181.jpg

img6189.jpg

copyofimg6151.jpg

copyofimg6228.jpg

copyofimg6154.jpg

picture120j.jpg

copyofimg6115.jpg

copyof4f3e1725.jpg

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Here's an old vid of the haps and peacocks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9m2EDlsg2M]YouTube - 180 Gallon Malawi Haplochromines (Hap/Peacock)[/ame]

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Woundedyak:

:bowdown:

Maybe asking for pics of tanks wasn't such a good idea...My tank looks like crap compared to that.:):

OK, so here is my updated tank with some new plants and a background.

I'd love some opinions...I don't know if the bright plants are too much or if they just brighten everything up. I didn't spend very much on everything, so it can always be removed without me regretting it.

Tell me what you guys think please:
    (and yeah, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to snapping pics of fish)

DSC_4984.jpg

Here is the old one for side by side(front by bottom) comparison:

DSC_4951.jpg

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Woundedyak:

:bowdown:

Maybe asking for pics of tanks wasn't such a good idea...My tank looks like crap compared to that.:):

OK, so here is my updated tank with some new plants and a background.

I'd love some opinions...I don't know if the bright plants are too much or if they just brighten everything up. I didn't spend very much on everything, so it can always be removed without me regretting it.

Tell me what you guys think please:
    (and yeah, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to snapping pics of fish)

DSC_4984.jpg

Here is the old one for side by side(front by bottom) comparison:

DSC_4951.jpg

Bazooka, Don't bash your tank like that. You have worked very hard and asked all the right questions to get it to this point! IMO I'm not a big fan of plants in African tanks. It takes away from the fishes color. Since you have a few terror's in there. I would lean towards getting a rock structures around the same height all the way across the tank and take just a few of those plants and put them behind the rock pile to give the tank some depth. Then go with a soild black back ground. Again, This is just my opinion. I think you should do the tank how ever it makes you happy

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Bazooka, Don't bash your tank like that. You have worked very hard and asked all the right questions to get it to this point! IMO I'm not a big fan of plants in African tanks. It takes away from the fishes color. Since you have a few terror's in there. I would lean towards getting a rock structures around the same height all the way across the tank and take just a few of those plants and put them behind the rock pile to give the tank some depth. Then go with a soild black back ground. Again, This is just my opinion. I think you should do the tank how ever it makes you happy

As I find more rocks that will fit the missing puzzle pieces(in order to have one large structure in the middle), I'll slowly get rid of the plants in the back and probably go with a solid black background, since the rocks will cover up most of it anyway.

This is my first tank worth a crap(my biggest tank previously was 20g), so I'm living and learning...

Once I get my basement renovated, I'm sure I'll get a bigger tank, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the 400g yet.:).

I can't think of what the rock background you have is called, but can you give me a ballpark on how much that was? That tank you have is absolutely amazing looking.

Oh and I only have 1 (green) Terror...Along with a Keyhole, 12 Ngara Flametail Peacocks and a Bristlenose Pleco.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm ashamed, but I'll play anyway.

This is what happens when you don't clean the tank for a few months.

tank1.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

tank6.jpg

I HAVE to get it cleaned before it gets too cold. TIME is my enemy.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Hey BJ, is that Texas Holey Rock in the middle of your tank?

To be honest, I'm not sure, but after a google search I don't think so...THR is much more porous.

I bought it because it's a single (real) rock that makes a good hiding place for a smaller fish, without having to strategically stack rocks to make one or hiding more places.

Texas Holy Rock looks friggin' awesome...Now all I need is another tank to decorate and I'll buy some.:rolleyes:

Damn this hobby! It's almost as addicting as guns.

(Guns are more fun and useful, but I get to enjoy this much more often)

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The THR page changes almost daily it seems. That guy that owns that is a professor, or teacher or something like that and digs that stuff as a hobby and sells it to aquarium owners. It is the only place in the world to get it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    360:

That's a nice tank!
    (I didn't want to quote all those pics)

I will eventually have a tank with a bunch of real plants, but I really wanted Cichlids and I read that it's not that easy to keep both of them alive.

How often do you do water changes? That's the biggest hassle that I want to deal with, but I don't have a problem with taking 20 or so minutes a week to change out 5-10 gallons of water to have a decoration piece that relaxes me when I look at it.

Top Bottom