My New Fish Tank Is Finally Set Up(Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    They are not any where near as territorial or aggressive as Kenyi's so they should be ok either way, I'd worry more about the other Mbuna picking on them than them picking on the other Mbuna.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    They are not any where near as territorial or aggressive as Kenyi's so they should be ok either way, I'd worry more about the other Mbuna picking on them than them picking on the other Mbuna.

I was worried about the Peacocks, not Mbuna.

He/she seems to be fine for the time being.

I also picked up two more yellow labs.:rolleyes:

(I'll try to snap some pics later)

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    What's with the
    rolleyesedit.gif
    ? I really like yellow labs! they are beautiful fish, are relatively peaceful & they are easy to breed.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    LOL that's understandable, I just condensed the fish in my 29 & 20 gallon tanks to free up the 20 for ??? don't know yet.

I'd also like to get motivated enough to go dig a pond to transfer my gold fish into, which are currently occupying my 55 gallon, they are great fish, very beautiful, active & extremely owner responsive, great fish for entertaining little kids (they wiggle around a lot at them) but I've had them in that tank for so long that I am starting to get the itch for a change.

If my wife says anything about it I am going to blame you & this @#$%'ing thread if that's ok.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    LOL that's understandable, I just condensed the fish in my 29 & 20 gallon tanks to free up the 20 for ??? don't know yet.

I'd also like to get motivated enough to go dig a pond to transfer my gold fish into, which are currently occupying my 55 gallon, they are great fish, very beautiful, active & extremely owner responsive, great fish for entertaining little kids (they wiggle around a lot at them) but I've had them in that tank for so long that I am starting to get the itch for a change.

If my wife says anything about it I am going to blame you & this @#$%'ing thread if that's ok.

Haha, sure I'll take the blame.:):

I need to figure out what to do with my 2 auratus...The mean one is Kara's favorite fish and she won't let me get rid of it, but I want to turn the 20 into a community tank with neons and tetras(and maybe bumble bee gobys).

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Hey Joe, I have a 55gallon tank that has been set up and running for 6mo now. I'm giving it away so if you know anyone that wants a nice tank and wood stand it's here. I will drain it but won't help move it. Bring a few people and you can haul it away, fish included. 4 Tiger Barbs, 1 Firemouth Cichlid, 4 Lemon Tetras.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Hey Joe, I have a 55gallon tank that has been set up and running for 6mo now. I'm giving it away so if you know anyone that wants a nice tank and wood stand it's here. I will drain it but won't help move it. Bring a few people and you can haul it away, fish included. 4 Tiger Barbs, 1 Firemouth Cichlid, 4 Lemon Tetras.

PM sent!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Well, I'm officially about to go into fish overload...

I was just offered this:

picture.php

With all of this(Texas Holy Rock):

picture.php

ALL FOR FREE!:rockwoot:

I was going to go camping this weekend, but if I can find a friend to go to Indy with me, I'll forfeit the camping trip.

So who has ideas on what I should stock the tank with? It has some community fish in it, but they will most likely go in my bedroom tank.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Well, I'm officially about to go into fish overload...

I was just offered this:

picture.php

With all of this(Texas Holy Rock):

picture.php

ALL FOR FREE!:rockwoot:

I was going to go camping this weekend, but if I can find a friend to go to Indy with me, I'll forfeit the camping trip.

So who has ideas on what I should stock the tank with? It has some community fish in it, but they will most likely go in my bedroom tank.

AMAZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'll wait on you Joe. No hurry. I'll save it for you.

You are the man!

Can you tell me what sort of aquarium media you have in your current setup? I want to start preparing for everything in advance. I already have an idea of what I want fish I want to put in the tank and I want to know if I need to make adjustments.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    You are the man!

Can you tell me what sort of aquarium media you have in your current setup? I want to start preparing for everything in advance. I already have an idea of what I want fish I want to put in the tank and I want to know if I need to make adjustments.
    2 heaters, 2 aqua flow filters and thats about it.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I could be wrong but I would assume (since I've never seen an Aqua Flow filter before) that he has a pair of Aqua Clear 30's (150 GPH each) on there, which would just exceed the minimum (150GPHx2filters=300GPH/4turnover=up to 75 gallon tank) GPH recommended requirement.

But if you are planning on putting cichlids in there you'd definitely need to turn over more water than that, so I'd suggest as a money saving move, by keeping the setup as is but adding an UGF w/a couple of 150 GPH power-heads instead of just buying larger HOB filters should save you some dough but still provide plenty of filtration for your cichlids.

Ah ha! I did a google search on Aquaflow to double check, I guess there is a company named Aquaflow that makes aquarium filters but I had never heard of it until tonight & I couldn't find a source for them in the US but they seem popular in the UK.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I could be wrong but I would assume (since I've never seen an Aqua Flow filter before) that he has a pair of Aqua Clear 30's (150 GPH each) on there, which would just exceed the minimum (150GPHx2filters=300GPH/4turnover=up to 75 gallon tank) GPH recommended requirement.

But if you are planning on putting cichlids in there you'd definitely need to turn over more water than that, so I'd suggest as a money saving move, by keeping the setup as is but adding an UGF w/a couple of 150 GPH power-heads instead of just buying larger HOB filters should save you some dough but still provide plenty of filtration for your cichlids.

Ah ha! I did a google search on Aquaflow to double check, I guess there is a company named Aquaflow that makes aquarium filters but I had never heard of it until tonight & I couldn't find a source for them in the US but they seem popular in the UK.

So how powerful are they? I've been wanted to try out one of the canister filters, so if the current HOB filters aren't enough, I'll just change them out.

I now know exactly where I'm going to put the tank in my basement, so this week(or next, depending on when I go get the tank) I'll be getting that area ready for the tank...It's basically storage boxes and some stuff I'm taking to Good Will in the way(and some touch up paint).

Dang, I'm addicted.

I'm super excited about having another tank...I'm thinking maybe South American Cichlids.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I've never heard of them before so I am not sure what sort of sizes/power configurations they come in.

I haven't decided what to do with my empty 20 yet, but I am thinking of making it a killifish tank, then maybe once I get a pond dug I can do something interesting with my 55 gallon.

Top Bottom