• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As a parent, I would hope one would take the time to get to know the principal. I know my kids' principals well. That should tell you all you need to know.

One problem though. In loco parentis. You can't tell the school they cannot question your child. When you leave your child at the school, you accept their rules. Imagine if every parent did this. I would not want my child going to that school, because it will be overrun with bad behavior, and the school would be powerless to enforce rules.

Again, common sense. Get involved in your child's school and help make it a better place. If you leave it to others and give no input, you are at the mercy of people who think zero tolerance is a good idea.

For some of us spending enough time with the faculty of a school to get to know them is almost impossible...

Second I think you are reaching with your interpretation of In Loco Parentis... Even LEA do not have the privilege that you assume that you have under that. I would highly advise a child to not talk to either a LEO or a School Faculty Member without a Guardian or Legal Representation being present.

Once again, Common Sense not all people have the time to know the people who are employed in their childs education...
    It is very difficult to be involved in a childs life let alone his school from 7500 miles away...

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    First off, to Rachael, congratulations on making an excellent decision. By not participating in drug use, you've given yourself a better future. This is a hard lesson to learn at such a young age but now you know that just because someone is in a position of authority, it does not make them necessarily right or just in their actions.

To the OP! You have raised a good kid and this is a tough lesson for her. Your family has my prayers but it sounds like you are in good company with that. I would recommend "lawyering up" if I were your shoes. I hope, but doubt, that D.A.R.E. picks up on this and reprimands the school involved. Have Rachael's friends wear t-shirts that says "WAY TO GO RACHAEL!" when she is suspended. If someone from the school asks them about removing their support shirts, tell them it is for Rachael Flatt, American Olympian.

Just a little info I found while trying to find Mary Bell's email address:

The News and Tribune - Salaries for new COO, CFO, other positions released by Greater Clark Schools

• $111,446 — Marty Bell, chief operating officer (new position)

I have not found it but it would seem that according to the form for Clark County's email addresses, his email would be mbell AT gcs.k12.in.us

Might be a good idea to remind him that he is overpaid and that he should rethink his position.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    There IS a difference between the parents and a school official. The parents, generally, are more concerned with the child's welfare than with following some no-tolerance rule.

Maybe you're one of the good ones who wouldn't try to trap a student. If so, more power to you. But, you can't always trust the school to do the right thing, as this event shows. And, this event also shows that, yes, common sense IS a rare quality these days, especially in school policies.

Doug

Again, get to know your child's principal. Any parent who does that is showing me that they truly are concerned with their child's welfare, to the point of being actively involved. If you wait until a problem to do this, then you are letting mistrust enter the equation on both sides, and that doesn't do kids any good, either.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Again, get to know your child's principal. Any parent who does that is showing me that they truly are concerned with their child's welfare, to the point of being actively involved. If you wait until a problem to do this, then you are letting mistrust enter the equation on both sides, and that doesn't do kids any good, either.

Question for you do you trust me to do the job that I do?

So why should I not trust you to do the job you do?! Why do I have to personally know you... :dunno:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    That is just foolish. I'd rather you take your child to a private school if you feel that way. Then, try to get the private school to agree to that. Good luck. At that point, you are ready to home school.

Maybe children should be coached that when their parents question them, they should take the 5th and not say anything unless an attorney is present. After all, parents are always trying to trick kids into an admission of guilt.

Common sense is a rare quality these days.

Sheesh.

And just how much "common sense" is required to say "there's a policy."

Yes, there's a policy. It's a bad policy. And people enforcing said bad policy are every bit as culpable as people who passed the policy in the first place.

"It's policy" is no more of an excuse than "I was only following orders."

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Rachael, GOOD JOB GIRL!!!!! And DAD AND MOM, GOOD JOB ON RAISING YOUR KIDS RIGHT!!!!

This ticks me off to no end. I thought schools were supposed to put the kids first??? ALL THE KIDS!!!! so how is taking a kid out of school helping them??? Second, to the BS excuse for a school: YOU SUCK!!!! you should lose all of your federal funding and turn into a parking lot from going bankrupt!!! get these kids away from that moron principal and his superintendant who obviously are worthless and like being the EXECUTIONER instead of being the EDUCATOR like they should be!!!

Not saying it justifys it AT ALL but i can understand alittle why kids are going postal at school or think about it!!! to a kid that little bubble of school and home is all they know of the world, and when they feel threatened and not safe in it they act out, some in extream and bad ways towards others and other kids in more milder ways, and some just kill themselves. EDUCATORS: why arent you listening to our children?? THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY!!!! dont look at them as all the same and think your gonna fit them into your idea of a PERFECT MOLD of a young adult, YOUR NOT!!! they are all individuals and need to be treated like so on an individual term. WHAT A SH**TY policy!!! and SHAME ON D.A.R.E. too!! ive heard other bad things about them and this just ads too it. when will they learn handing out free stickers and T-shirts dont do crap??? start advocating for these kids that SAY NO TO DRUGS like this mans daughter!!!! I hope these scum bag administrators read this forum. But even more i wish we all would send them an email and tell them what we think!!! make them OUTCAST IN THEIR OWN SOCIETY!!! If you see them on the street BOOOOOO them!!!! and give'm the finger!!!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

That I need to personally interview each and every individual involved in the school's decisions about my child to know that they won't pull stunts like that in the OP is the most condemning (I'm pretty sure the filters would have pulled the word I wanted to use there) idea to come out of this thread so far.

It's an admission that "education professionals" cannot be trusted to do their job in a reasonable, professional manner using "common sense."

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    That I need to personally interview each and every individual involved in the school's decisions about my child to know that they won't pull stunts like that in the OP is the most condemning (I'm pretty sure the filters would have pulled the word I wanted to use there) idea to come out of this thread so far.

It's an admission that "education professionals" cannot be trusted to do their job in a reasonable, professional manner using "common sense."

I would rep this if I did not have to spread some around first...

I owe you one DB ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Rachael, GOOD JOB GIRL!!!!! And DAD AND MOM, GOOD JOB ON RAISING YOUR KIDS RIGHT!!!!

This ticks me off to no end. I thought schools were supposed to put the kids first??? ALL THE KIDS!!!! so how is taking a kid out of school helping them??? Second, to the BS excuse for a school: YOU SUCK!!!! you should lose all of your federal funding and turn into a parking lot from going bankrupt!!! get these kids away from that moron principal and his superintendant who obviously are worthless and like being the EXECUTIONER instead of being the EDUCATOR like they should be!!!

Not saying it justifys it AT ALL but i can understand alittle why kids are going postal at school or think about it!!! to a kid that little bubble of school and home is all they know of the world, and when they feel threatened and not safe in it they act out, some in extream and bad ways towards others and other kids in more milder ways, and some just kill themselves. EDUCATORS: why arent you listening to our children?? THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY!!!! dont look at them as all the same and think your gonna fit them into your idea of a PERFECT MOLD of a young adult, YOUR NOT!!! they are all individuals and need to be treated like so on an individual term. WHAT A SH**TY policy!!! and SHAME ON D.A.R.E. too!! ive heard other bad things about them and this just ads too it. when will they learn handing out free stickers and T-shirts dont do crap??? start advocating for these kids that SAY NO TO DRUGS like this mans daughter!!!! I hope these scum bag administrators read this forum. But even more i wish we all would send them an email and tell them what we think!!! make them OUTCAST IN THEIR OWN SOCIETY!!! If you see them on the street BOOOOOO them!!!! and give'm the finger!!!
    C'mon, man! That is a HUGE generalization! I'm not taking the school's side in this, but I can't agree with what you posted.

First, zero tolerance policies make it easier for a principal to resolve a situation. In this case, was there a pill? Yup. Did she touch it? Yup. By the policy, she's gone for the 5 days. The Principal doesn't have to be a judge any more. Just follow the policy.

Some (I can't define a percentage) teachers/administrators ARE listening. I saw it yesterday while spending the day at my son's Middle School. They are listening to the figurative screaming of the kids as they talk about abuse, poor finances and whatever else that they can do little about.

Outcasts in their society? C'mon...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    That is just foolish. I'd rather you take your child to a private school if you feel that way. Then, try to get the private school to agree to that. Good luck. At that point, you are ready to home school.

Maybe children should be coached that when their parents question them, they should take the 5th and not say anything unless an attorney is present. After all, parents are always trying to trick kids into an admission of guilt.

Common sense is a rare quality these days.

Sheesh.

Sheesh is right. I'd rather he take his kids to a private school too, because the public school administration has demonstrated itself to be full of arbitrary and capricious morons who can not be trusted to dress themselves alone in the morning. "It's the policy" is a damn poor excuse for meting out punishment automatically without any thought to culpability? Why should a parent make it easier for these fools to run roughshod over their children?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    In response to: Blue Tile Spook:

yep outcast! thats the only way others will wake up and get the point. you heard of the judicial system making an example of people, well i think the same thing here about the school administrators. so if your kid walked by someone smoking pot and got a contact buz... should he be suspended as a drug user?? if someone was running from a teacher with drugs and threw the drugs at your kid as he ran by and your kid caught the package, is that possession?? WELL YES ACCORDING TO THAT F'd UP ZERO TOLLERANCE POLICY!! if i said hey you wanna see my pencil and i handed you a joint... thats not what you thought you were getting but you got it at no fault to you, "POSSESION!! shame on you!!! but i guess you would take the suspension for the good of the many right??? your such a saint. black and white issues suck in certain cases. like the school is so busy they cant address issues on a case by case basis.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I can sum it up in just a couple of words, "She handled the pill, she was in possession, she will serve her suspension, period, explanation point, the end!" Oh but we will accept a letter from her pastor saying that she doesnt do drugs, he has talked to her and they will accept that instead of the drug counseling.

She can't pray in school but they will accept letters from her pastor? WTF is with that?

How does the school know this was drugs and not an M&M? If they confiscated it doesn't that mean school personel had the drugs in THEIR possesion as well? Are THEY all tossed out as well and begging letters from their pastor?

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Nice. Why don't you tell me what you do, so that I can take a personal shot back by making a dumb blanket statement like that.

There are morons in every profession. In this case, if the district had zero tolerance, the principal's hands are tied by board policy. Chances are, the community supported this, and there are all kinds of professions in that community and on the board. Let's hear your thoughts on how everyone in those professions got their jobs.

Nice once again ...as i stated IN ALOT OF CASES ...were does that say every teacher or every principal ?

And you can look at my handle and take a wild guess as to my profession ,
    Yes there are ALOT of morons in my profession. as with any profession ,
    but saying this child is guilty of drug possesion is like saying GUNS kill people sa anyone in possesion of a gun is a killer ...
    so tell me did the teacher or principal not touch theese drugs when they found the other child with them ? No I am sure they did so since they also touched them and there is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy then should they not be fired or repremanded for also being in possesion of theese drugs...
    after all rules are rules correct ...they were all on school property ???

:ingo:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Sheesh is right. I'd rather he take his kids to a private school too, because the public school administration has demonstrated itself to be full of arbitrary and capricious morons who can not be trusted to dress themselves alone in the morning. "It's the policy" is a damn poor excuse for meting out punishment automatically without any thought to culpability? Why should a parent make it easier for these fools to run roughshod over their children?

If you'd read the whole thread, you'd see that I agree with you on the current school's administration.:rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Nice once again ...as i stated IN ALOT OF CASES ...were does that say every teacher or every principal ?

And you can look at my handle and take a wild guess as to my profession ,
    Yes there are ALOT of morons in my profession. as with any profession ,
    but saying this child is guilty of drug possesion is like saying GUNS kill people sa anyone in possesion of a gun is a killer ...
    so tell me did the teacher or principal not touch theese drugs when they found the other child with them ? No I am sure they did so since they also touched them and there is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy then should they not be fired or repremanded for also being in possesion of theese drugs...
    after all rules are rules correct ...they were all on school property ???

:ingo:

You are right. You indeed said a lot of cases. Sorry for the sensitivity on that one. However, you used a common low-grade saying, which is used to throw daggers. If you had left that out, I would have read more carefully. You shot from the hip and I reacted from the hip. My bad.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    this is as bad as someone calling the cops because they found drugs in a new car they bought and the cops arresting them, even though they did what they thought was the right thing. lol. next time rachel make sure you punch the principal in the D**k that way you get some kind of satisfaction for getting suspended!! your a minor you wont get a permanent record. no im kidding dont do that....wink, wink. :)

Top Bottom