Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    That would be a C141,
    Yeah, that’s what I was thinking of at the time. Also, figured you walked out on the C-17 but they didn’t have those when I went thru jump school. You could walk out of C-130, but might not work out well and that wasn’t the trained procedure. Gravity would still do its thing tho.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    hey, I could walk out of (well, maybe not walk) the sub.
    Problem is, below 300 feet I'll probably just die.
    And 99 percent of the time, we were below 300.

Guys giving their parents tours of the sub would point out the escape hatch in the torpedo room, so their mom would think if anything happened, their baby would be okay.

And later, we'd laugh.
    The escape hatch is kinda one of those things you MIGHT need... but most likely will be too deep, or too dead, to use.
    We even had a joke list. A list of things to do while waiting for the DSRV (Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah, that’s what I was thinking of at the time. Also, figured you walked out on the C-17 but they didn’t have those when I went thru jump school. You could walk out of C-130, but might not work out well and that wasn’t the trained procedure. Gravity would still do its thing tho.
    C17 is a tiny plane we used for Saturday fun jumps. It was STOL with a 17 man stick capacity.

They would take a couple hundred chutes to St. Mere Eglease DZ ( a postage stamp DZ) and all you needed was a steel pot and ID. You could make as many Hollywood jumps as you pleased until the chutes ran out.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    C17 is a tiny plane we used for Saturday fun jumps. It was STOL with a 17 man stick capacity.

They would take a couple hundred chutes to St. Mere Eglease DZ ( a postage stamp DZ) and all you needed was a steel pot and ID. You could make as many Hollywood jumps as you pleased until the chutes ran out.
    I thought the c-17 is the big 4 jet strategic lift transport. The Globemaster?

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    That would be a C141, 6 up and 36 out from a C130, push off from a UH1B, or walk off the ramp of C17A.

I can't speak to other birds.

We jumped T10's then T10's with antiinversion nets, MC1-1's at 24 FPS.

My grandson just graduated from jump school (I did not recommend he do it) and they are using the T11 with a 19 FPS decent rate.

I would really rather not have the extra hang time on an actual combat jump.
    With your memory of all that data, I'm guessing that you were a Black Hat...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Please forgive my senility, C7a Caribou.

C17 is the globe master, 82d did try to jump it but because it can not slow to a safe jump speed they stopped.

They had far too many malfunctions.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sometimes, it's too short to pull up a grill, or go swimming.
    But, you take'em if you can get'em.

Me on the left
    Another RO next to me.
    2 DDS (Dry Deck Shelters) in the background.
    If I remember right, we just surfaced long enough for a civilian worker to weld something, or replace a sensor for testing we were doing in the Carib.
    View attachment 305728
    You haven’t changed much over the years Act.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    And yes there were color pictures then. Photographer from the Base Photo Lab (I knew all of them, I had previously delivered their film and stuff when I was a delivery driver) took my pic when moving aircraft pallets. July 1989.

1697673477317.png

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Taegu (K-2) Air Base, Korea 1993. The picture didn't come out of the photo album well. The hat says, "We drink more beer by 9am than Osan does in a week." The other guy is Smitty. He used to set off the fire alarms with his Cuban cigars. Note that is a Thurnall's Harley Davidson shirt.

1697673716541.png

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This was what turned out to be my last reenlistment May 2001. 6 year enlistment, when I wanted to retire in September 2007 I had to request retirement, get turned down because of when my enlistment was up, THEN I could extend my enlistment.

2Lt Elkins gave me the oath of enlistment. I worked with her at Langley when she was a Captain. She was good people.

1697674389830.png

Top Bottom