Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    On the subject of catching the barrier...

1991-92ish: young USAF SSgt KellyinAvon has a part-time gig at the Officer Club at Tyndall AFB, Florida.

Tyndall was an F-15 base. Monday thru Wednesday were slow to OK. Thursday was good since the Air Battle Manager students/2LTs would keep it going late. Friday nights were a level of debauchery that is hard to describe. Saturdays were mostly retirees.

Most retirees who went there were insufferably horrible human beings who drank the rot-gut bar gin and tipped horribly if at all. There were a few exceptions of course.

One guy I remember was active duty 1947-1971 IIRC. He first flew P-47s and was an F-100 (Super Sabre, not a 1/2 ton Ford pickup from back in the day) pilot when he retired.

Landing parachute (back in the day fighters had drag-chutes to slow down on landing, F-4s had them) failed, F-100 is heading for the barrier. Drops the hook, it's not hydraulic, it just falls. It bounces over the arresting wire. The barrier doesn't pop up and the Super Sabre went off the end of the runway and eventually stopped in the woods.

He was a good old guy. Drank Beefeaters and tonic (not the turpentine bar gin most drank) and tipped well. And he talked to a young guy working a part-time job like I was a friend, not a servant who was beneath contempt.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There were a few exceptions of course.

One guy I remember …

He was a good old guy. Drank …

When I was a new lieutenant at Tinker AFB the O’Club was pretty lively and had good food, especially on Friday night.

There was this old skinny guy named Willy who would show up at the bar every Fri nite (and maybe every other nite) and sit right by the taps. Didn‘t want his beer to get cold enroute I guess. He always wore a bright color jumpsuit or coverall, got hammered, and yelled AIRBORNE! a lot, especially when someone bought him a drink. He was always very nice, didn’t get loud except for the “Airborne” thing, he was always there when I arrived and still there when I left.

Never did get the backstory on him. I PCS’d to Germany, came back to Tinker O’ Club on leave once. Willy had died while I was away and there was a brass memorial plate to him screwed to bar top where he used to sit.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Had a Carrier Wing Commander make his last fly-by and trap on the carrier one day. He was retiring. They always told us when a supersonic fly-by happened, the shock wave traveling down the length of the ship gave it a surprisingly good shake.

I was in a place to watch this. The F14 came bow to stern. He dove down from a considerable altitude in full after burner. We saw him coming, he went by in a haze of condensation and disappeared showing 2 long diamond shaped flames behind. All without a sound at flight deck level. The plane was out of sight before we heard the boom. So mach 2? or 3?

It was interesting that the ship which weighed around 90,000 tons would shake to the sonic wave as it passed.

Don

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    … All without a sound at flight deck level. The plane was out of sight before we heard the boom. So mach 2? or 3?
    Max speed for F-14D with the better engines was Mach 2.34 but that would be at much higher altitude. At sea level in denser air it was 1.2 Mach.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    2nd or 1st Lieutenant Alamo in the wild. Probably about 1983 or 1984.

B605832C-2943-433A-B87A-C27905EBFD3F.jpeg
    One of my friends, who is also in the photo, sent me this recently. It was a staged photo in the “tube room” used by us programmer/analysts to fiddle with the AWACS software. It was for the base newspaper or for use in a glory briefing for TAC/CC. Normally we would be buried in technical manuals and stacks of classified listings (hey, we were eggheads) on the tables and floor — and the monitors would be turned on. They were off because you couldn’t do photography in the room if there was a chance classified information was being processed. Another clue it is posed is the Staff Sergeant closest to camera. There was a representative from each division in our unit and the SSgt is from the operations division, meaning she normally was hanging tapes and had her own monitors in the mainframe computer room and would not use the tube room. But she was a sharp troop and sharp-looking so she made the photo. Up front! I’m way in the back.

I look at this and feel so old. :(

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    2nd or 1st Lieutenant Alamo in the wild. Probably about 1983 or 1984.

View attachment 304139
    One of my friends, who is also in the photo, sent me this recently. It was a staged photo in the “tube room” used by us programmer/analysts to fiddle with the AWACS software. It was for the base newspaper or for use in a glory briefing for TAC/CC. Normally we would be buried in technical manuals and stacks of classified listings (hey, we were eggheads) on the tables and floor — and the monitors would be turned on. They were off because you couldn’t do photography in the room if there was a chance classified information was being processed. Another clue it is posed is the Staff Sergeant closest to camera. There was a representative from each division in our unit and the SSgt is from the operations division, meaning she normally was hanging tapes and had her own monitors in the mainframe computer room and would not use the tube room. But she was a sharp troop and sharp-looking so she made the photo. Up front! I’m way in the back.

I look at this and feel so old. :(

:yesway:

Fortunately, I have no pictures of me operating a Reactor.

Of course, that also means I could be making up the the whole thing.
    :)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    As an AFROTC cadet I was on a KC-135 returning to Grissom AFB with about a dozen other cadets and my AFROTC detachment commander, a lieutenant colonel and Vietnam war F-4 pilot. Grissom was covered up by a big rain storm. We were strapped in the red web troop seats that ran down the sides of the cargo area.

As we approached, the airplane wallowed and rocked around a lot, and I began to see my white friends starting to turn pale, then sort of green. The black guy turned a sort of ashen gray. None of them looked happy.

Then the first barf bag came out, and it was on. One after the other. Happily everyone had a barf bag and kept everything contained.

I’ve never had a problem with motion sickness. Not even a twinge. Been on ship In rough seas, roller coasters, C-130 at low altitude in hot weather — that I was about to jump out of for first time in my life — no problem. Even the smell of the other cadets’ (and paratroopers’) puke didn’t set me off. So with exquisite sensitivity I laughed at them.

We banged onto the runway, rumbled a few seconds, then heard the engines spin up and we were airborne again. Another lap around the pattern through the storm, and everybody tried to barf up whatever was left, which in most cases wasn‘t much. I laughed again.

This time we stuck to the runway, and eventually made it to our parking spot. We passed by the pilots as we were getting off the plane. I think they came out of the cockpit just to watch the puking cadet parade.

Our fighter pilot commander stopped to talk to them about the go around. The AC said there were some 40 knot angled gusts and the airplane started to slide off the runway on touchdown, so he cranked the throttles and tried again. Our commander looked at him for a second and said, “If you had told me that back in the pattern, I would’ve gotten out and walked in”.

Top Bottom