Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    No dog in that fight.

In the Army I worked with pointers that were great, Pointers that were worthless, ROTCs that were lousy and one that made LTG that was a great guy.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    language

NSFW

Marine Officer tweets that "... Mustangs erode the esteem, legitimacy and distinct culture of the officer corps like merchants marrying into aristocracy."

Nco's have been doing more and more of a officers job since the global war on terrorism started. My 2nd tour we never had PL for almost entire time since he went home early with back injury.. in the last NCO school I went we had to write so many papers it was ridiculous. Especially the level they wanted something about college rule etc... I told the instructor I have a GED so you better explain the GED level paper ya want written first.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My last duty station my Commander was a OCS guy.
    I was the 1st Sgt.
    We had been E-7 SFC's DS together in the same Battery!

Meh on OCS I seen about a 50/50 rate out of them. Some just want more $$, Some are good.

Warrant,s are IMO the best of both worlds. Do what you want and get paid.

Don't understand Navy Warrant rank. Don't they only have two?

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    My last duty station my Commander was a OCS guy.
    I was the 1st Sgt.
    We had been E-7 SFC's DS together in the same Battery!

Meh on OCS I seen about a 50/50 rate out of them. Some just want more $$, Some are good.

Warrant,s are IMO the best of both worlds. Do what you want and get paid.

Most of OCS guys I met fell into couple categories . The pissed off e-4 who got out got a degree then back in to have vengeance on the nco's. The e-5 and above who just wanted to make more money since they where doing the officers job anyways.. or the older college who had nothing else career wise going so decided to join and go to OCS

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

:dunno:

Never had to deal with Warrant Officers.
    Apparently, none were silly enough to go on subs.

I did interact with Limited Duty Officers (LDO) in nuke school. Most of the classes were taught by them.
    Not enough nuke officers to fill shipboard billets, and staff the school.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No dog in that fight.

In the Army I worked with pointers that were great, Pointers that were worthless, ROTCs that were lousy and one that made LTG that was a great guy.

Whether it's a West Pointer, or not, the main point is, looking down on the Enlisted as another class of subhuman.

An officer like that, might find his enlisted ensuring his department comes in last in every evaluation.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You wanna experience segregation try the U.K. Army.

Officers are normally from the upper class. Separate mess and quarters.

Sergeants Separate mess and quarters.

Privates don't really interact with NCO's or Officer's.

Got a kick out of eating at Navy and Marine mess halls.

First time got my food went to sit down. The KP said Sergeant you need to eat in the Chiefs mess!

Why do Navy Cheifs talk so loud?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Whether it's a West Pointer, or not, the main point is, looking down on the Enlisted as another class of subhuman.

An officer like that, might find his enlisted ensuring his department comes in last in every evaluation.
    I had some good and some bad that I did an exemplary job for.

Today I have some good and some bad customers that I do an exemplary job for.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I did have one commander that told me how to do my job that I ignored for months, making excuses why. Until he locked my heals and ordered me to do it his way.

I did it his way and HE failed the next arms room inspection. He had fired me because I continued to tell him that his way wouldn't work.

After he failed he gave me my job back and "I" passed the reinspection.

But HE had that failure on his record for the rest of his career, which I didn't follow, but was probably not very long.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You wanna experience segregation try the U.K. Army.

Officers are normally from the upper class. Separate mess and quarters.

Sergeants Separate mess and quarters.

Privates don't really interact with NCO's or Officer's.

Got a kick out of eating at Navy and Marine mess halls.

First time got my food went to sit down. The KP said Sergeant you need to eat in the Chiefs mess!

Why do Navy Cheifs talk so loud?

Well, I guess I'd say chiefs eat separate, so that we can relax without mid level managers being around.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    language

NSFW

Marine Officer tweets that "... Mustangs erode the esteem, legitimacy and distinct culture of the officer corps like merchants marrying into aristocracy."

I didn’t follow the link to find out what this is really about but what the hell? Marines have had mustangs since, I don’t know, probably since they met in the tavern in 1770 whatever.

At least since World War II. Plenty of stories of them. I think the Marine Corps as an institution survived that OK.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was standing RO watch (reactor operator) during a reactor startup.
    At the time, I was pretty experienced.
    In fact, so were the Electrical Operator and the Throttleman.
    The Engineering Officer was recently qualified to stand watch. And the Junior Officers start off in Engineering, so he doesn't have any hours under his belt.

So, a NORMAL Reactor Start-Up would have him nervous, and slow. Making sure to read each line twice, and all messages he received would most likely have to be repeated.

And this start up, something burst into flame.

So, Immediate Action in Maneuvering (the control room for Engineering), is that the 3 operators and 1 officer don EABs (Emergency Air Breather), then continue the evolution (the start up)
    After the EAB was on (a matter of seconds), I announced "continuing with Normal Reactor Start-Up. Withdrawing Rod Group (redacted)."

The Engineer yelled "STOP!"
    I informed him that I MUST continue, or SCRAM the reactor, it's required.
    Note: one of the most dangerous times in the life of a reactor, is when it's in the middle of a start up.
    And EVERY nuke is supposed to know it.
    But Nervous Nelly (the officer) ORDERED me to SIT DOWN and WAIT!

So, I sat down and ground my teeth.
    Now, nukes are allowed to disobey and order, IF it affects reactor safety, AND if you are RIGHT.
    Well, I had both conditions met, but was trying to decide how much time to let go by.
    After all, I didn't want to be accused of 'jumping the gun', because I jumped the gun.
    But, I also took reactor safety seriously.

The Electrical Operator was giving me the evil eye, and looking up at the SCRAM switch, then back at me.
    Sort of, if YOU don't do it, I will.

Well, the Chief Engineer (ChEng) (Head of the Engineering Department), was in Engineering because of the start up, and in fact was at the scene of the fire.
    He came up to Maneuvering, and reached across the 'chain' (a chain across the doorway, and a breach of protocol to talk across that barrier), and instead of yelling down the chain of command, which would have been the Engineer Officer, pointed at me and yelled "What the F*** are you waiting for?"
    (ignoring the Engineering Officer and talking directly to the watchstander is a big breach of protocol, and is a slap in the face of the officer being ignored.)
    I calmly informed him, that I tried to continue, but the Engineering Officer directly ordered me to sit down and wait.

So, the ChEng stared down the noob Engineer Officer, and told him, that he was a JUNIOR OFFICER put with a SENIOR CREW so that he could LISTEN AND LEARN.
    Then told him to START UP NOW or he'd (don't really remember the threat, but I was impressed by it. Officers don't usually ream each other in front of crew).

So, the Engineer said, "Reactor Operator, continue with a normal Reactor Start-Up).
    So, I repeated back the order, as I reached for the RPCP (Reactor Plant Control Panel) to continue.
    I also kept the smirk of my face, because I really didn't need to rub it in, he'd stepped on his genitals in front of everyone, and in about 60 seconds the entire crew would have heard about it.

After we were relieved at the end of watch, the Electrical Operator voiced being upset with me for NOT SCRAMMING the Reactor, as I was supposed to.
    Well, the reactor was started up without harming anything, the paperwork was filled out, there was no incident report, and there was no hearing for disobeying an order.
    So, as far as I was concerned, it was over.
    He mentioned he had been standing up to SCRAM it himself.
    I smiled, and told him he probably wouldn't have beaten me.
    And the RO is allowed to use physical violence to "protect his panel".

That officer eventually figured out, all enlisted weren't out to screw him, or dumber than a box of rocks. Apparently that was taught to some officers.
    Course, they weren't usually referring to nukes.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I didn’t follow the link to find out what this is really about but what the hell? Marines have had mustangs since, I don’t know, probably since they met in the tavern in 1770 whatever.

At least since World War II. Plenty of stories of them. I think the Marine Corps as an institution survived that OK.
    I think Mustangs have been in all the branches, for most of our history.
    It's an idiot Junior Officer that thinks he knows everything, but doesn't know history, or any experience under his wings.
    And apparently another officer has never sat him down to "explain things".

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    language

NSFW

I looked at this and thought, "That's gotta be a fake account." Then I thought a bit longer, "No, it's real."

The 18th Century Military called...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you've heard this one before don't stop me. I want to hear it again ;)

2003-2004: Young USAF MSgt KellyinAvon is stationed at Langley AFB, Virginia and assigned to Headquarters Air Combat Command (ACC.) I worked in Manpower Requirements and dealt with the Numbered Air Forces, Combat Comm, RED HORSE, TACP (when I got there and told people where I was working, they would offer me hard liquor.)

A frame of reference on the amount of brass that was at HQ ACC: my first base (Tactical Fighter Wing with 72 F-4Es) there were 6 Colonels on the base. There were 40 Colonels IN MY BUILDING at HQ ACC. Plus, two 2-Stars (the A5: Director of Plans and Programs; the A8: Director of Strategic Plans) and a 1-Star (Deputy Director of Operations.)

3-story building that wasn't very wide but the entire length of the building was reserved parking spots. The really high-ups got to park under an overhang by the back door (center of the building) with the A5 and A8 on each side of the entry doors.

The A8 (was my Wing Commander at Eglin AFB, Florida a few years back) drove a 3rd generation Corvette. The Deputy Ops Director drove a Buick Le Sabre. The A5 (Dave Deptula was his name, he used to frequent news shows as a subject matter expert on Military stuff) drove an early 80's Ford Econoline van. I mean it was a red and white paint scheme and really didn't look like it should be parked there.

I worked for a crazy Captain (rugby player, nuff said) in my early days at ACC. He always said if he could find an "If this vans a rockin, don't come a knockin" bumper sticker, he'd stick it on the A5's van.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    As a e1 private in Korea it definitely ment spending most of the time in the field. Which means a ton blanks to shoot and that meant alot of time scrubbing a rifle once out of the field. Me and my team leader who was just a e-4 himself where set up on a mt top during a exercise. We were provind air defense with a stinger atlas. I was ADA at time. Anyways one morning we noticed the entire op 4 BN moving just 20 ft below us. I asked should we engage? He responded with best words ever.. "do ya really wanna give up free time when we get back cleaning weapons?" So we just laid back and watched. I don't think he even called it in. By the time the last company got by they stopped by for a security halt and **** break. Finally some guy taking a **** looks up the Mt side and goes contact! Raises his rifle to engage. My team leader just goes. Hey were already dead. The guy goes oh okay and then they just kept moving. We spent 2 more days just sitting there on mt top doing absolutely nothing but chilling out and watching the battle down the valley

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom