Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    But why would the homeowner be expecting their friends to be entering a basement window unannounced at an odd hour? (keep in mind these inquiries could be made for discussion on the part of the devil's advocate)

Because no one ever makes stupid choices as a teenager. We all did everything by the book and never once disobeyed our parents or snuck around behind their backs.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    In the context of what the circumstances were would it be more reasonable for the homeowner to believe it was someone entering the home unannounced thru a basement window at an odd hour intent on doing ill-will than it would be that they were a friend/family member? (emphasis on the word "reasonable")

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    In the context of what the circumstances were would it be more reasonable for the homeowner to believe it was someone entering the home unannounced thru a basement window at an odd hour intent on doing ill-will than it would be that they were a friend/family member? (emphasis on the word "reasonable")

If my teenagers were goody two shoes who have never been in an ounce of trouble? Or has there been a history of rebellion and things like this have occurred before?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

About as reasonable as it would be to look before shooting.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany

It is completely reasonable to expect someone in your home, when they are not supposed to be, to have ill-will toward you.

But there's no way to know if the unknown person in your home really is known UNLESS YOU USE A DAMN LIGHT.

This is being made out to be way, way, WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

Short story: Use a light to identify what/whom you might be discharging your weapon at is a threat, it only takes a fraction of a second and might safe a life (and lifetime of regret).
    Shorter story: know your damn target

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If my teenagers were goody two shoes who have never been in an ounce of trouble? Or has there been a history of rebellion and things like this have occurred before?
    I guess that would be the caveat. If there was a history of this type of behaviour of sneaking in basement windows and such.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    OK, let's just say it and stop beating around the bush...The homeowner was 100% justified in shooting/killing his step daughter. She should have known better and she deserved it. All teens should take heed that if you sneak out (like millions have done) you could be killed by your family upon re-entry. It should not matter that you ASSUME that family will recognize you if you wake them up, I mean, they ARE family and should figure out it is you and not a burglar right? Does this really need purple? Would taking a split second to verify your target REALLY been so hard? Could the advantage of NOT killing your family outweigh the "perceived" disadvantage of identifying your target? Let's be honest though, many of the big talking posters on here would likely shake themselves silly in fear if they really faced this situation in REAL life.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I guess that would be the caveat. If there was a history of this type of behaviour of sneaking in basement windows and such.

Don't think many 14 year olds go from goody two shoes to staying out all night and climbing through a window at 6 am. Were the parents oblivious to what this child was doing?

My daughter is nearly 12 but I know right now this isn't something she would possibly do. But I'm also smart enought to realize there will most likely be a lot of changes in the next few years. And no, I'm not looking forward to it. They say your kids are payback for all the things you did to your parents. If that's the case, I hope she's paying me back and not her mother.

It continually amazes me how many people forget that they were ever young themselves.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Don't think many 14 year olds go from goody two shoes to staying out all night and climbing through a window at 6 am. Were the parents oblivious to what this child was doing?

My daughter is nearly 12 but I know right now this isn't something she would possibly do. But I'm also smart enought to realize there will most likely be a lot of changes in the next few years. And no, I'm not looking forward to it. They say your kids are payback for all the things you did to your parents. If that's the case, I hope she's paying me back and not her mother.

It continually amazes me how many people forget that they were ever young themselves.

Yes sir it takes only one boy to make miss goody two shoes, a girl that might talk on the phone too late. Then one day they might sneak out and go see her friends. God forbid she wants to come home and sneaks back in her own house, because some people around here want to shoot first and see who they shot later. I'm speaking of teenagers in general not your kin of coarse, they can and will change.

I just do not understand a kid sneaking into their own house as a being deadly game. Apparently it can be, but this appears to be an issue of the Dad not identifying his target.

P.S. Are you saying your wife missed behave more as a teen than you did, because that is how I read it? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes sir it takes only one boy to make miss goody two shoes, a girl that might talk on the phone too late. Then one day they might sneak out and go see her friends. God forbid she wants to come home and sneaks back in her own house, because some people around here want to shoot first and see who they shot later. I'm speaking of teenagers in general not your kin of coarse, they can and will change.

I just do not understand a kid sneaking into their own house as a being deadly game. Apparently it can be, but this appears to be an issue of the Dad not identifying his target.

P.S. Are you saying your wife missed behave more as a teen than you did, because that is how I read it? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Yes, she caused her parents more grief than I mine. I had my hand in some of her parents grief as well :D

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Yes, she caused her parents more grief than I mine. I had my hand in some of her parents grief as well :D
    My younger sister was a hell child and it was hell on me.
    Now she is a rock of Motherhood, sisterhood and daughter-hood.
    If my Dad would of shot every person sneaking into his house he would have no kids and 26 dead teenagers in the town of Plainfield.

Top Bottom