Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yes, and you have presented a requirement for absolute answers to these questions. If I see a silhouette of a person who is as big as I am (I am the largest individual in the history of my family) following sounds indicative of forced entry, I am presented with a number of questions in the event I am afforded time to consider them. I have no way in the universe of knowing if such a person is armed (unless he is brandishing a weapon)
    Sure you do - it's called a flash light, your eyes, and a little intelligence. If you do not see a weapon you cannot automatically assume one is there. If you command them to stop where they are and they continue approaching you and you are legitimately fearful for your life and/or safety then it's up to you if you should shoot. Just understand that no matter what we here on INGO say - you will be held responsible for your actions and if you're unable to articulate your fear for imminent bodily injury or death - you're likely not going to win with a defense of 'self defense.'
    No, this is not a straw man. It is unrestrained sarcasm aimed at a patently stupid position (as presented which may or may not have accurately communicated the point you intended to make--here we go again with that business of definitively knowing someone else's thoughts).
    You're reading what has been written as though there are no variables. No matter how much training you have or do not have ultimately you have to make quick decisions and you will be responsible for those decisions. What has been presented that you seem to take issue with is not a definitive hard-and-fast rule beyond the fact that you should, if possible, do what was advised. If you don't - that's on you - nobody will be responsible for it but you should you be in that situation. You certainly can't go into court and say, 'But Shay on INGO told me to do X and I did it! I should not be being charged!... Well you could - but good luck with that.
    This is a most excellent point. Most of us consider breaking into our houses in the dead of night to be a pretty solid indicator which you apparently do not accept.
    Can one break into their own place of residence? If you live in your house and you lose your key and you break in - are you violating a law? Would somebody else living there be justified in shooting you just on the premise alone that you're entering using an abnormal method? In short -> no.
    While I am on this topic, please enlighten us as to what you consider to demonstrate hostile intent, preferably short of opening fire on us or otherwise engaging in an attack (by that time it is generally too late for effective defense).
    There are so many ways hostile intent can be demonstrated that I won't waste the time. The law states that one must be able to articulate the fear for imminent bodily injury or death. As far as what is required to be able to articulate such a fear - there are far too many variables for anybody to be able to spell it out in detail. Either you'll know - or you won't - but I don't think there's anything any of us here can do to help you understand it.
    Please elaborate. In the specific incident one would hope that a person would consider that teenagers sometimes do things like this, but your posts seem to reflect much higher expectations even when under no circumstances should there be another human being in your home in addition to the breaking and entering at an unlikely time of the night for authorized persons to present themselves (and presumably not break in).
    I keep a light next to my gun at all times - even when the gun is on my hip. If there is ever a situation where I may need to use the gun and visibility [i.e. light] is an issue the light will be necessary and will be used.

It does not matter if you have a teenager, 10 teenagers, or you live alone and have absolutely no family [i.e. you can be fairly certain the person entering isn't permitted]. Simply entering your residence without your consent is not justification in and of itself to open fire. To make an example - if I walk in your front door because it's unlocked in broad daylight and I'm not supposed to be there you are not justified in shooting me simply because I am on your property or in your house without consent.

There is a lot more to justifying a shoot than simply, 'Somebody who was not supposed to be in my house, was in my house.' You are certainly welcome to believe otherwise as it will be you that will be held responsible for your potentially poor decision.
    Here we go again. I never advocated shooting at any of the above non-targets. I have repetitively asked why some of you seem to think this is the only position other than knowing the thoughts, precise identity, and mother's maiden name of the intruder.
    You seem bothered that one extreme is being stated and, as a result, you go to the exact opposite extreme? The only thing anybody in this thread is saying is to identify your target and ascertain whether the target is a threat. This is obviously easier when there is light.

Take the same situation - the girl being shot - let's make it 3PM on a sunny day - would you still be defending this man's decision to shoot? Why or why not? Surely there should have been enough light for him to identify that the 'intruder' was a family member that belonged in the residence. What is the difference between my example and what happened? The fact that there was light. What could the shooter have done to make sure they properly identified their target? It's not magic - it's called a flashlight or a light switch.

No matter how justified you believe your shot is at the end of the day it's up to the prosecutor and the justice system as to whether you were justified. You could very well live out the rest of your days in prison with your belief that your shot was justified - that thought alone will not save you if you cannot articulate it in a way that fits the legal description for 'justifiable homicide' or 'self defense.'
    I accept this as an excellent idea. Hopefully I will find the opportunity. I still am unlikely to accept positions which are counterproductive to my personal survival.
    Shoot first and ask questions later then if that's what you want to do - you may survive but you may also live out the rest of your life in prison. The decision is up to you.
    This is exactly the point I have been trying to address. There is in fact a middle ground between knowing the intruder's thoughts and precise identity (not to be confused with establishing that it is not your child) and indiscriminately blasting away at shadows and sounds, real or imaginary.
    Just because I say 'do not step on a red square' does not mean that I believe you are or will step on a red square - it's simply a statement that you should not do so. Just because somebody says, 'Do not shoot at shadows,' does not mean that somebody did shoot at shadows - it is simply a statement that you should not shoot at shadows. There's no reason to take it personally or to go to the opposite extreme.

My wife does this sort of thing all the time - I'll say something along the lines of "Please make sure you don't do XYZ," and her response almost always is, "But I didn't do XYZ!" At no point did I tell her that she did or claim that she did - I was simply asking her not to do it in the future.
    You are absolutely correct. My references to interviews and signed statements are sarcastic attempts to address the fact that I have no way to know with certainty the thoughts of another human being, in this case at least not until after the point it is too late to defend myself.
    The law does not require you to know with certainty the thoughts of another human being - it simply requires you to have an imminent fear for serious bodily injury or death that you can articulate. Obviously this isn't a black-and-white issue and there are various shades of gray and numerous variables that would be different from incident to incident.

Contrary to what you seem to believe, I am not advocating indiscriminately opening fire on shadows, sounds, or other non-targets.
    Nobody is saying that you do that I can see. They're simply saying not to do those things and for some reason you seem to be taking it personally and to the opposite extreme.

I consider it a good idea to acquire as much information as possible regarding the situation before acting.
    Indeed - Guy's class at TFT would give you a great idea as to the burden placed on the shooter for a justified shot.

I do not, however, agree with setting a minimum standard so high that you are unlikely to survive the encounter unless, fortuitously, it is a family member breaking in as opposed to knocking on the door or moving into at least the 20th century and calling on the telephone.
    The standards are written into the law - it seems that you simply do not have a solid understanding of them. Again - TFT's class would be great for you IMHO.

Again, I may have misunderstood some of the things you previously posted, but you appear to expect me to know with certainty the thoughts and intentions of an intruder.
    We expect you to identify the target as a threat and for you to have a fear for imminent bodily injury or death that you can articulate.

Just because somebody is in your house without your permission does not automatically mean that they intend to do you harm. There are numerous reasons for somebody to be in hour house without meaning you harm - I won't list examples but if you can't think of anything you can either take my word for it or choose not to believe me [I don't care, it's you that would be responsible for your actions regardless of whether you believe me or not.]

It would appear that being an intruder post-breaking and entering would adequately communicate nefarious intent.
    Nefarious intent != intentions to do bodily injury or cause death. They could be simply wanting to steal your TV and have no intention of doing any harm to you. To make a quick example - you would not be justified in shooting a burglar that was on his way out your front door with your TV. You may believe you were but you would likely end up prosecuted for homicide.

It would be helpful, however, if you could elaborate on your standards for establishing such intent.
    It's codified in the law and is open to interpretation based upon the specific set of circumstances. That said - without being there - it's just internet armchair quarterbacking.

We'll find out when this likely goes to court as to whether this guy was really justified in shooting or not. Until then - based upon the little information in the article - there's no real way of knowing.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So, based upon what has been stated as codified in Indiana law, you better hope his first attack is unsuccessful. Because you have to wait on that until you can legally defend yourself. This goes back to keeping all guns locked in the safe so the BG can't take them after he has killed you. Hooray for the Castle Doctine and the 2A. I guess they are as useful now as the Constitution.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Maybe I will be chastised, but no flashlight for me.....

Its the biggest indicator of where you are and IMHO puts you at a disadvantage and reduces the amount of time you have to survey the scene. There is a reason why when playing flashlight tag, the people hiding don't use flashlights. In High School I enrolled in a Law Enforcement class taught by retired police officers. They had us do all kinds of police related things and one project, they took us into the basement of the school and taught us how to sweep the area for bad guys using a flashlight and blue gun. What a joke!! Very few of us were found and many of us found it pretty easy to sneak around while the "cop" moved about with his flashlight.

If I was on a SWAT team breaking down doors and sweeping rooms, then a flashlight would be ideal... but IN MY OWN HOUSE, where I already have a huge advantage... why would I want to give it away? I have the advantage of silence, familiarity of surroundings and sight. I'm coming from a dark area to more than likely an ambient lit entranceway/kitchen area.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    lucky4034 said:
    If I was on a SWAT team breaking down doors and sweeping rooms, then a flashlight would be ideal... but IN MY OWN HOUSE, where I already have a huge advantage... why would I want to give it away? I have the advantage of silence, familiarity of surroundings and sight. I'm coming from a dark area to more than likely an ambient lit entranceway/kitchen area.

Your flashlight can be used not only to identify (or recognize, as some have said :rolleyes:) the person in your home...it can also be used to disorient them.

If your eyes are used to the dark and you get hit with a high-lumen beam you WILL be temporarily blinded.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Maybe I will be chastised, but no flashlight for me.....

Its the biggest indicator of where you are and IMHO puts you at a disadvantage and reduces the amount of time you have to survey the scene. There is a reason why when playing flashlight tag, the people hiding don't use flashlights. In High School I enrolled in a Law Enforcement class taught by retired police officers. They had us do all kinds of police related things and one project, they took us into the basement of the school and taught us how to sweep the area for bad guys using a flashlight and blue gun. What a joke!! Very few of us were found and many of us found it pretty easy to sneak around while the "cop" moved about with his flashlight.

Good point, you don't need to know who you are shooting. :ingo:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

No shooting! You've already established there is no shooting to defend your home. You must first verify that he is intending to kill you by killing you. Then you can...well, be dead.

This thread is very nonsensical...and very anti-homeowner.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    No shooting! You've already established there is no shooting to defend your home. You must first verify that he is intending to kill you by killing you. Then you can...well, be dead.

NOBODY HAS SAID THIS

But you're right, this thread *is* very nonsensical.

Its full of bull**** where people have made (very poor) assumptions about what somebody is or isn't saying.

Why the resistance to making sure you aren't shooting somebody you REALLY don't want to shoot?!?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Your flashlight can be used not only to identify (or recognize, as some have said :rolleyes:) the person in your home...it can also be used to disorient them.

If your eyes are used to the dark and you get hit with a high-lumen beam you WILL be temporarily blinded.

Or... they can see you walking toward them and can stand still behind something waiting for you to get close. Had I been given a "blue knife" I would have beaten the "cops" 9/10... Houses are constricted with plenty of obstacles. Give me a 3 second heads up that you are on your way and I will find a place to wait for you. (Or I will get the hell out of there if I can)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    NOBODY HAS SAID THIS

But you're right, this thread *is* very nonsensical.

Its full of bull**** where people have made (very poor) assumptions about what somebody is or isn't saying.

Why the resistance to making sure you aren't shooting somebody you REALLY don't want to shoot?!?

I DON'T WANT TO SHOOT ANYBODY!!!! I also don't want people kicking in my door at 3am. If they do, I will assume they aren't stopping by to play Canasta. You really think you will have the luxury of an infinite amount of time to determine the whether this guy kicking in your door is really just a misguided person who just needs a friend? I live ALONE. No one comes to my house. My children live very far away and even if they did come they would never kick the door in. Why do you want me to die?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Or... they can see you walking toward them and can stand still behind something waiting for you to get close. Had I been given a "blue knife" I would have beaten the "cops" 9/10... Houses are constricted with plenty of obstacles. Give me a 3 second heads up that you are on your way and I will find a place to wait for you. (Or I will get the hell out of there if I can)

Did you try that exercise crawling through a basement window at night?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

Introducing a flashlight creates a scramble... It speeds up the scenario and eliminates the time to think and make sound decisions. If someone breaks in my house... I expect one of two things.

A. They are there to do me harm and are coming right for me... in which time a flashlight isn't going to be useful.
    B. They think I'm not there or that they can get in and out quietly before I notice... in which case the element for surprise is my advantage. I won't be giving that away.

No flashlight means I get to keep all my advantages, plus increases the amount of time I get to make decisions.... In my house, the best strategy is to post up in the hallway quietly, protecting all the bedrooms while my fiance calls 911.

Maybe some of you commandos plan on sprinting to the bad guys with your flashlight on... or slowly and methodically sweeping your house playing hide and seek with them?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Introducing a flashlight creates a scramble... It speeds up the scenario and eliminates the time to think and make sound decisions. If someone breaks in my house... I expect one of two things.

A. They are there to do me harm and are coming right for me... in which time a flashlight isn't going to be useful.
    B. They think I'm not there or that they can get in and out quietly before I notice... in which case the element for surprise is my advantage. I won't be giving that away.

No flashlight means I get to keep all my advantages, plus increases the amount of time I get to make decisions.... In my house, the best strategy is to post up in the hallway quietly, protecting all the bedrooms while my fiance calls 911.

Maybe some of you commandos plan on sprinting to the bad guys with your flashlight on... or slowly and methodically sweeping your house playing hide and seek with them?

No way, shoot first and ask questions later. Nothing can possibly go wrong.

Top Bottom