Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    NOBODY HAS SAID THIS

But you're right, this thread *is* very nonsensical.

Its full of bull**** where people have made (very poor) assumptions about what somebody is or isn't saying.

Why the resistance to making sure you aren't shooting somebody you REALLY don't want to shoot?!?

Because using a flashlight isn't the only way to determine whether or not you should pull the trigger?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    No way, shoot first and ask questions later. Nothing can possibly go wrong.

Nothing smarter than signalling to the person trying to kill you.... "Hey... I'm over here and I'm coming out. Please hide behind the couch so when I get within 10 feet you can jump out and stab me in the face"

What is the probability of gun beating a knife at 10ft? What is the probability of a guy with a flashlight in one hand with a gun beating a guy with a knife that he doesn't see coming?

What the probability of waiting for a guy with a knife who doesn't know where you are taking you by surprise in your own house when you have all the advantages and a gun trained on him?

I'd love for all of you flashlight commandos to set up a scenario somewhere and we can test this out.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Nothing smarter than signalling to the person trying to kill you.... "Hey... I'm over here and I'm coming out. Please hide behind the couch so when I get within 10 feet you can jump out and stab me in the face"

What is the probability of gun beating a knife at 10ft? What is the probability of a guy with a flashlight in one hand with a gun beating a guy with a knife that he doesn't see coming?

What the probability of waiting for a guy with a knife who doesn't know where you are taking you by surprise in your own house when you have all the advantages and a gun trained on him?

I'd love for all of you flashlight commandos to set up a scenario somewhere and we can test this out.

Very poor, I saw the movie Magnificent Seven.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Because using a flashlight isn't the only way to determine whether or not you should pull the trigger?

A light switch is rather effective, too.

But nobody is advocating investigating a noise in one's house with their light on. That would be stupid, and negate the tactical advantage of one knowing the 'lay of the land'.

My pistol/light grip is very similar to this:

Harries-2.jpg

When you see a silhouette, you point at it and then press the light, illuminating the target. It will cause the target light blindness and allow you to identify/recognize the target as a potential relative or a threat, and if necessary, provide illumination for an accurate shot.

The fraction of a second it takes your thumb to press the light, and for your brain to process what you see in the light's beam, is highly unlikely to cause you harm but might prevent a tragic mistake.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Despite the strawman arguments from people who can't seem to come up with intelligent points, no one is advocating shooting at sounds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is my nightstand gun. It is set up to defend in the night. 160 lumens of blinding light and 10 rds. .45 ACP
    It follows me around the house like a puppy dog. It is not an EDC piece. It goes to the range on occasion but mainly stays close at home for defense.
    If you are serious about defending, get set up to do it. 1 gun does not cover all situations.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Maybe I will be chastised, but no flashlight for me.....

Its the biggest indicator of where you are and IMHO puts you at a disadvantage and reduces the amount of time you have to survey the scene. There is a reason why when playing flashlight tag, the people hiding don't use flashlights. In High School I enrolled in a Law Enforcement class taught by retired police officers. They had us do all kinds of police related things and one project, they took us into the basement of the school and taught us how to sweep the area for bad guys using a flashlight and blue gun. What a joke!! Very few of us were found and many of us found it pretty easy to sneak around while the "cop" moved about with his flashlight.

If I was on a SWAT team breaking down doors and sweeping rooms, then a flashlight would be ideal... but IN MY OWN HOUSE, where I already have a huge advantage... why would I want to give it away? I have the advantage of silence, familiarity of surroundings and sight. I'm coming from a dark area to more than likely an ambient lit entranceway/kitchen area.
    The trick is not to turn the light on and *leave* it on. You walk around in the dark, obviously being familiar with your house and having good night vision from being in the dark, and once you believe you've found whatever it is you're looking for you then use the light.

You do want to be careful not to point it at a white wall opposite yourself or you could very well destroy your very own night vision but, that said, generally a light used for home defense won't be your standard click on click off maglight. The light I use for home defense and EDC has a tactical momentary tail cap. I can press slightly to get 15 lumens [enough to see what you're looking at, not enough to blind you or them] and then press harder for 200 lumens [plenty to blind an intruder, and possibly yourself if you're not careful with it].

I have practiced sweeping my house in the dark with the light numerous times to be sure that I know what I can and cannot do without blinding myself or reducing my vision more than necessary.

Under stress there's a really good chance I'll lose the dexterity to choose between 15 lumens and 200 lumens and, as such, I practice with 200 lumens. If I'm able to remain calm enough to use the 15 lumen setting that's great - but I don't plan on it.

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Beat me to it. No one said you had to turn the flashlight on, and walk the whole house with it on..

This entire thread from start to finish has been fraught with quick assumption. People need to calm down.

Something to consider. Ask anyone whos trained in room clearing, no matter how good they are, and they will tell you its a hell of a risk. If you got family in the house, you need to get them together, and defend the room. Just my opinion. If you got people counting on you to protect them, you cant be taking more risk than necessary.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Why would you wanna use a flashlight to determine if someone breaking into your home via a basement window is a friend or a foe?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    But why would the homeowner be expecting their friends to be entering a basement window unannounced at an odd hour? (keep in mind these inquiries could be made for discussion on the part of the devil's advocate)

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    But why would the homeowner be expecting their friends to be entering a basement window unannounced at an odd hour? (keep in mind these inquiries could be made for discussion on the part of the devil's advocate)

You mean like, why would you fire without knowing what/who you are firing at.

Top Bottom