Merry Christmas! You killed your step-daughter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Everyone keeps saying he did not identify his target, I think he did. He hit the target with 2 of 3 shots if I read the multiple stories correctly. Just because you do not recognize who the target is does not mean you did not identify the target.

Wait, what?
    "identify your target" refers to "what" the target is, not Neccessarily "who"!

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Assuming the prevailing thoughts on how things went down are true, no one can defend either person here, they were both stupid. She knew better than to be breaking in through a basement window, let alone sneaking out in the first place.

This guy, clearly messed up as well. There's so many things that hindsight grants us the power to scrutinize. Why did he not use a light switch, or a flashlight? Or the one that makes me think theres more to this story, he didnt even issue a verbal compliance, or a challenge. If this man would have said anything, she most likely would have responded, and this would have been prevented. I personally am waiting to hear the dark truth behind this story.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Assuming the prevailing thoughts on how things went down are true, no one can defend either person here, they were both stupid. She knew better than to be breaking in through a basement window, let alone sneaking out in the first place.

This guy, clearly messed up as well. There's so many things that hindsight grants us the power to scrutinize. Why did he not use a light switch, or a flashlight? Or the one that makes me think theres more to this story, he didnt even issue a verbal compliance, or a challenge. If this man would have said anything, she most likely would have responded, and this would have been prevented. I personally am waiting to hear the dark truth behind this story.
    Yup, she should have known that breaking into her own house could get her killed.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Stop being a jerk. You know what Im saying.

If someone walks out into an intersection without looking first, and a bus driver isnt paying attention and hits them
    whos fault is it?

BOTH

Theres a certain amount of responsibility everyone must take for their actions.

Shes not directly responsible for what happened here, dont misunderstand me. But to say she had no part in it, is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Stop being a jerk. You know what Im saying.

If someone walks out into an intersection without looking first, and a bus driver isnt paying attention and hits them
    whos fault is it?

BOTH

Theres a certain amount of responsibility everyone must take for their actions.

Shes not directly responsible for what happened here, dont misunderstand me. But to say she had no part in it, is ludicrous.
    I'm not being a jerk. The analogy is not accurate. I walk into a public street without looking is behavior that is inherently dangerous. Crawling into a stranger's house is inherently dangerous. Crawling into YOUR OWN house is not. Sure, if she did not crawl into the window, she would have not gotten shot but I do not think that was a foreseeable danger. Kids have been sneaking into/out of their homes for longer than we've been alive. It is a REAL concern for parents and should be a consideration when confronting shadows crawling into a window if you have teens. I would take a bullet if it came to that just to make sure I wasn't shooting my own family. It is a tragic mistake that he will have to live with. I could not imagine the grief.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not being a jerk. The analogy is not accurate. I walk into a public street without looking is behavior that is inherently dangerous. Crawling into a stranger's house is inherently dangerous. Crawling into YOUR OWN house is not. Sure, if she did not crawl into the window, she would have not gotten shot but I do not think that was a foreseeable danger. Kids have been sneaking into/out of their homes for longer than we've been alive. It is a REAL concern for parents and should be a consideration when confronting shadows crawling into a window if you have teens. I would take a bullet if it came to that just to make sure I wasn't shooting my own family. It is a tragic mistake that he will have to live with. I could not imagine the grief.

I think crawling into an armed house is dangerous, even if it is yours.
    When I used to go out of state to see a gf, I would call a friend and his wife that lived at my house, when I got home. So I wouldnt get shot going into my own home.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Lots of fear and paranoia out there. I don't think I could kill someone over property. They would have to attack me and it would have to be deadly. I suppose it depends upon the baggage you bring to the situation. I was mugged once in a park at night by a bunch of marauding teenagers. I was socked in the eye (before it was popular) and then kicked when I was down. No weapons involved. I walked away with a black eye. It's good to be young. If I had a gun, I don't think I would have done more than fire a warning shot. Even today. A black eye heals. A dead teenager doesn't. I must be a libtard. I didn't grow up around guns. Knives, yes, but not guns. I guess it was a different time as well.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I think crawling into an armed house is dangerous, even if it is yours.
    When I used to go out of state to see a gf, I would call a friend and his wife that lived at my house, when I got home. So I wouldnt get shot going into my own home.
    Well I think the adults should be smarter than the teens they are responsible for because...well...they're teens.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    EXACTLY.

A decent flashlight is only a few bucks more than a box of bonded JHPs...and arguably just as important in one's home defense equipment.

Just about ANY flashlight puts out enough light to identify someone at home defence distances.

Walmart ran a special on their cheap-o lights over the Hollidays - 10 3AAA flashlights + 30 AAA batteries in a big blister pack ... for $10

There is no excuse.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    While teens may do stupid things, I think this falls beyond any allowance.

Known gun home, vet home, dark, access through non normal pathway.

Haven't kept up on the story..............but did the shooter ask them to ID before he shot? Maybe he did and she didn't answer. Maybe there was another person with her?

From the initial story there IMHO isn't enough info to make any judgments against the guy.

Maybe just a stack up of mistakes on both parties.

I dunno, was a teen and never snuck out (or back in). I had at least that much respect for my parents' rules/home.
    None of my kids sneak in or out either.

Guess we're weird like that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Don't think many 14 year olds go from goody two shoes to staying out all night and climbing through a window at 6 am. Were the parents oblivious to what this child was doing?

My daughter is nearly 12 but I know right now this isn't something she would possibly do. But I'm also smart enought to realize there will most likely be a lot of changes in the next few years. And no, I'm not looking forward to it. They say your kids are payback for all the things you did to your parents. If that's the case, I hope she's paying me back and not her mother.

It continually amazes me how many people forget that they were ever young themselves.
    Contrary to popular belief I was young once and I remember doing some pretty stupid things but one of them was'nt entering through a basement window at an odd hour knowing there were firearms in the home and I could possibly be mistaken for an intruder and shot.

I'm just speaking from my own background in which there were indeed firearms in the home as was the case in this incident and not casting any aspersions placing the blame solely on anyone. This is a tragic event for sure and in hindsight could have possibly been avoided.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I think most on here are too far removed from their teen age years that they have forgotten how most think. THEY DON'T THINK LIKE ADULTS. I deal with them DAILY, their thought patterns are shortsighted and impulsive. I will love to hear the AAR with some of these posters. Victim, "Officer, I heard a sound, saw someone entering my house, so I shot them but they ran off." Officer, "What did they look like so we can go look for them?" Victim, "How the hell would I know what they look like? I didn't get a look at them."

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do you think she had NO idea that her stepdad had firearms and would possibly use them against an intruder breaking into HIS (not her) house?
    I fully agree on the unimaginable grief!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Yup, I kinda think both sides coulda done a better job.
    But...... I wasn't there, and I don't know all the circumstances.

Donjr721

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Rockville
    This same thing happened with my great uncle many years ago. The door glass was broken, his daughter got up to let dog out in middle of the night, locked herself out. He heard her trying to open door. Saw her reaching through broken window to unlock the door and shot her when she came in. He did not identify properly in my opinion. It would be horrible to be in his shoes.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    This same thing happened with my great uncle many years ago. The door glass was broken, his daughter got up to let dog out in middle of the night, locked herself out. He heard her trying to open door. Saw her reaching through broken window to unlock the door and shot her when she came in. He did not identify properly in my opinion. It would be horrible to be in his shoes.
    She couldn't have gone to a window on the room where they were sleeping and banged on it to wake them up? Knocked on the door?

Why, on earth, would the first go-to solution to get back into a house [that's occupied] that you locked yourself out of be to break the glass?

Not faulting anybody - just wondering...

Top Bottom