• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    He has been burglarized because people saw his house from the street and decided to steal from him.Then they saw unsecured guns and decided to take them.
    I dont think he showed his address on his Youtube page (maybe just a PO box) or even showed where he lives in his videos.
    The burglars probably had no idea he made Youtube videos so I dont see how this burglary and this thread are connected. :dunno:

I wasn't implying they were connected. What I was implying was, people should be more secure about handing out their location, directly or indirectly, on the internet.

You don't think criminals lurk these boards looking for victims?:dunno:

I work in network security, and you wouldn't imagine the information you can glean from people posting on forums.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    If you work in network security, then you should know that you can look up someones city and state from their IP address..

Not exactly secure...

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    If you work in network security, then you should know that you can look up someones city and state from their IP address..

Not exactly secure...

If they don't go through proxies or anonymizers like Tor, then yes, you can.

But think for a minute, do a search of your name on this forum, and how much personal information have you posted that might lead to your location?

Like I said, I'm not downing the idea of a member map, I voted for it.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Anyone interested in a map showing the city of every member on INGO, to find fellow ingo'ers near you???

I feel like this would be better than say joining the official region group, which gets a post maybe once every two months on average? I think something new that would make it easier to connect with friendly folks near would be better than whats in place currently. And as somebody else already mentioned people just start a thread asking to hang out or go shoot or whatever and than others respond. Just feels kind of slow and clunky. Than again, its not like this is facebook.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    He has been burglarized because people saw his house from the street and decided to steal from him.Then they saw unsecured guns and decided to take them.
    I dont think he showed his address on his Youtube page (maybe just a PO box) or even showed where he lives in his videos.
    The burglars probably had no idea he made Youtube videos so I dont see how this burglary and this thread are connected. :dunno:

Yeah unless the burglars happened to break in and recognize his "tactical walls" foyer mirror and then said "HEY I recognize this place from the internet, it is Sootch's house! Time to steal every gun he has reviewed!"

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    If they don't go through proxies or anonymizers like Tor, then yes, you can.

But think for a minute, do a search of your name on this forum, and how much personal information have you posted that might lead to your location?

Like I said, I'm not downing the idea of a member map, I voted for it.

Im not saying you are dogging it, I just dont get people, (again, not you) citing security reasons, when its so easy for someone to get your city and state without your consent.

Its the internet, people.... Its not secure....

Theres a large difference between someone asking your city, and someone asking for your bank routing and account number...

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country

Yeah unless the burglars happened to break in and recognize his "tactical walls" foyer mirror and then said "HEY I recognize this place from the internet, it is Sootch's house! Time to steal every gun he has reviewed!"

Who breaks into a house and leaves the small portable safe, which was under the bed, and the 3 foot tall jewelry chest that had gold and diamonds in it?

They only took guns and ammo. Coincidence?:dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont see the big deal as long as it goes no lower than city level. So you know I live in indianapolis. Congratulations. Now, figure out which house based on my screen name and map pointer placed squarely in monument circle. There are only 257,920 acres of land in that city. Good luck. Hell, even if you had the marker in my zip its still 20 sq miles/12,678 acres!

If you have enough info to actually find me, a map pin here isnt going to help. You already had the info from other sources. If you think this map pointer is going to help, your tinfoil is a bit too tight.

Oh wait, I live in a small town! You can find me! Uh... lets see... even the zip code for a tiny town like Taswell, IN, population 819 has 22 square miles of land. Once again, it doesnt matter how small the town is, its still a needle in a haystack!

Make it an opt in and I dont see the problem. Besides, the tinfoil crowd is already being vague or outright lying anyway so opting them in automatically isnt going to make a bit of difference regardless of their protests. With locations like Baconville, NE Corner, my house, etc. unless they fill in a zip code, a map pin isnt going to matter. I say we throw out the tinfoil crowd opinion because they would poison the data with bogus info anyway to hide their real location, so they arent really in the game. Why consider the opinion of a demographic that is going to lie anyway to be uncooperative? (not that its a bad thing) "look, you arent going to play by the "rules" anyway, so we dont care what you say. We'll do our thing, and you do your thing to counter it and everbody's happy. mmmkay?" Its like a GFZ. Why listen to the opinion of the bad guy? He isnt going to follow the rules anyway. :dunno:

On a related note, its fun to screw with retailers' checkout surveys. "That will be $11.76. Can I have your zip code please?" "Sure, my zip is 99722." (which is Arctic Village, AK) .

I like a city level pin system personally, and wouldnt be upset at a zip level pin.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Who breaks into a house and leaves the small portable safe, which was under the bed, and the 3 foot tall jewelry chest that had gold and diamonds in it?

As he said in his follow up video he believes they scattered off when he got home, thus they did not have time to open everything up. They didn't find the shotgun that was leaning against his closet door. They either didn't have time to carry it, or they didn't find it. As far as the safe, who knows maybe they picked it up and realized it probably didn't have a lot of valuables in it since it factually only contained some paperwork, they determined "nothing heavy, gold or guns" no need to take the bulky thing.

If you're correct, why didn't they break out his foyer mirror then?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

That's what thiefs want.
    Guns as way easier to sale than diamonds.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    As he said in his follow up video he believes they scattered off when he got home, thus they did not have time to open everything up. They didn't find the shotgun that was leaning against his closet door. They either didn't have time to carry it, or they didn't find it. As far as the safe, who knows maybe they picked it up and realized it probably didn't have a lot of valuables in it since it factually only contained some paperwork, they determined "nothing heavy, gold or guns" no need to take the bulky thing.

If you're correct, why didn't they break out his foyer mirror then?

Didn't get that far into his video playlist? I dunno.

Just too many coincidences in my opinion.:dunno:

Top Bottom