• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Would you prefer that your airline pilot, was stoned or drunk? How about a surgeon, the mother of your children?

These are fine questions that are all easily answered. Alcohol is legal; how is that handled? Do companies need a law passed in order to fire drunk workers?

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Does the current law stop people from becoming addicted? Obviously not. You can get drugs anywhere, despite decades of prohibition and a trillion dollars wasted.

Do you want smaller government, less taxes, less laws, more freedom? I'm not advocating you become a crackhead.

I didn't take it that way. My thinking is what happens when a 10y/o gets hold of crack, meth whatever and is addicted on the first hit? It's obvious being 18 to buy smokes isn't working and I know drug laws don't stop illegal drugs, they do however make it just a bit harder to get them.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I didn't take it that way. My thinking is what happens when a 10y/o gets hold of crack, meth whatever and is addicted on the first hit?

That same 10y/o will get a hold of violent video games and become a killer.
    He will get a hold of guns and shoot people.
    He will get a hold of beer and turn into an alcoholic.

Let's ban video games, guns, and alcohol. That will solve the problem.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That same 10y/o will get a hold of violent video games and become a killer.
    He will get a hold of guns and shoot people.
    He will get a hold of beer and turn into an alcoholic.

Let's ban video games, guns, and alcohol. That will solve the problem.

It's clearly the 10 year old that is the problem. Let's ban him and be done with it. Lock everyone up and everyone will be safe.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I didn't take it that way. My thinking is what happens when a 10y/o gets hold of crack, meth whatever and is addicted on the first hit? It's obvious being 18 to buy smokes isn't working and I know drug laws don't stop illegal drugs, they do however make it just a bit harder to get them.

In all honesty, its the same exact situation as you live with today. Drugs are everywhere... right now as we speak. On playgrounds, in schools. How do you keep them away from your 10 year old?

Responsible parenting, proactive education are your best hopes. Laws won't stop it -- as we already see.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In all honesty, its the same exact situation as you live with today. Drugs are everywhere... right now as we speak. On playgrounds, in schools. How do you keep them away from your 10 year old?

Responsible parenting, proactive education are your best hopes. Laws won't stop it -- as we already see.

This is such a logical fallacy: Laws won't stop it. If the test for a law to be valid is that is stops every, single, solitary instance of human behavior it was intended to, no law would stand.

We know laws do have effects on behaviors. As an easy example, when speed laws are enforced, more people obey them. It is a law that you pay your income taxes; people pay them because they don't want to go to jail. You may argue whether those laws ought to exist but to say they don't work...well, they work on some people.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Laws don't stop anything 100%, let's eliminate them all & we'll all just live together in a peaceful, drunken, stoned, murderous, thieving, raping, harmony.

I don't get the legalize drugs thing at all, anyone I've ever known that used drugs, was a lazy / useless turd during that time in their life. Look @ the lives destroyed due to drugs & even alcohol. Yes, I have a beer now & then, but could do without it as well.

I stay out of this stuff normally, my views on eliminating drug dealers are rather harsh. I have no use for someone pushing/selling drugs, which my experience has shown to damage/destroy families, relationships, lives, etc.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't care about pot. I have some family that smokes pot, I know they do, and that's fine. I just don't care. Never done it myself, never really plan to.

My concern is the crime/gang-activity that we already have. Imagine these pot stores in Indianapolis, holding half a million dollars that no bank will take easily...

... Within the first year, an organized robbery of massive proportions.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I don't smoke weed, but I do drink alcohol. I personally don't see one as worse than the other. I just think if it is legalized, that there needs to be a way of testing how under the influence they are. Breathalyzers can tell if your too drunk to drive, but what can tell if your too high to drive?
    No, breathalyzers can approximate your blood-alcohol content. They cannot indicate your level of impairment. They are at best a guess measured against an arbitrarily determined statutory limit. A weed test, if it existed, would be no better.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, breathalyzers can approximate your blood-alcohol content. They cannot indicate your level of impairment. They are at best a guess measured against an arbitrarily determined statutory limit. A weed test, if it existed, would be no better.

Blood draw.......If you are hurt on the job it is almost mandatory this happens. If impaired you just ate the big one.

Do not come to work drunk or stoned. Pretty simple.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Got no problem legalizing drugs. If people want to destroy themselves, that's their business. However, with great freedom comes great responsibility - place someone else in danger by your actions and you must pay the penalty. Just like it is with alcohol now. Do whatever you want to yourself.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    We know laws do have effects on behaviors. As an easy example, when speed laws are enforced, more people obey them. It is a law that you pay your income taxes; people pay them because they don't want to go to jail. You may argue whether those laws ought to exist but to say they don't work...well, they work on some people.

That's exactly what anti-gunners say. I guess we should ban guns.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is such a logical fallacy: Laws won't stop it. If the test for a law to be valid is that is stops every, single, solitary instance of human behavior it was intended to, no law would stand.

There are lots of logical fallacies in this thread, but this is not one of them.

The government can throw as much money as they want at a social problem, but they cannot stop human desire. Sometimes more laws = more violence and more problems. Especially when it comes to prohibiting things people want. Guns, alcohol, drugs. You know this.

I think "laws stop it" is more of a logical fallacy.

A Chart That Says the War on Drugs Isn't Working - The Wire
    drug-spending-v-addiction.gif

I believe in laws as a penalty to those who victimize other people. Behavior modification is not the reason I believe in creating laws.

I don't care about pot. I have some family that smokes pot, I know they do, and that's fine. I just don't care. Never done it myself, never really plan to.

What about tax-dollars? Do you care about that?

What about the constitution? Does it strike you as odd that there needed to be a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol, but today the feds just ban anything they want... even weeds growing out of the ground?

What about stopping big government? Freedom?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

You made a error in your post. You state that 'laws do have an effect on behavior" but then you use the example : "when speed laws are enforced". So which is it? Is it the law or is it the actual enforcement? I would suggest that by your wording you beleive correctly that it is the actual enforcement and punishment that can cause a change in behavior and not the law itself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You made a error in your post. You state that 'laws do have an effect on behavior" but then you use the example : "when speed laws are enforced". So which is it? Is it the law or is it the actual enforcement? I would suggest that by your wording you beleive correctly that it is the actual enforcement and punishment that can cause a change in behavior and not the law itself.

In my mind (small as it is) when I am doing something that is against the law as in speeding or what ever...it is in the back of my mind constantly and acts a at least a minimal deterrent as i know trouble could be coming my way dressed as a LEO. I know this so maybe I do not drive as fast as I really want to. It is a deterrent to activity but that is just me.

To a thug/sociopath or just whack job I do believe it is no deterrent whatsoever.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Well, the one good thing is if pot becomes legal for me to buy and smoke, and THEN I contract some kind of physical ailment because of it, then I can file a class-action suit and sue the company who produced it.

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I think everyone is right here. Then again, we could all be wrong. Who really know's what is really going on? To each, their own. Let's just all get drunk and stoned and have a good time!

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Drugs is bad mmmmk

Freedom sucks 10 year olds might get hurt or killed

Think of the children

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    People who drink can have one or two beers with dinner and not be drunk or even drink to get wasted. Weed smokers oth, set out to get blazed EVERY time they spark up. Otherwise, what's the point?

LOL, i find it hilarious you think pot smokers want to get blazed "every time they smoke up" yet drinkers apparently dont get alcohol poisoning every time they drink.

Top Bottom