• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    'Tis a shame we're having to have this discussion. From anecdotal evidence, apparently, pot doesn't have any worse effects than alcohol, but think of the damage alcohol - or the unsafe use of alcohol - has caused in the past 60 years or so (just to set a timeline). I'd hate to think how many of my near-contemporaries in aviation lost their lives in Vietnam because of alcohol-effect-related accidents. I'm curious how many soldiers in Vietnam died because they were high when they should have been watchful. I know my paternal grandfather - an alcoholic - was drunk when he died in a car accident and killed two other people besides. I know my father - also an alcoholic - put the family in terrible financial shape through his drinking. I also know that dope has been a factor in a number of highway accidents, just like alcohol

When I was in the Army in the early 70s, alcohol was a regular companion to many soldiers and driving drunk was a "peccadillo", but by 1974 the Army was seeing it as a serious problem; we had a young Lieutenant cashiered over a drunk-driving arrest. By 2008, the Officer's Club and NCO Club were distant memories at Ft. Rucker and Ft. Lewis. Unsafe behavior while abusing drugs or alcohol has become an increasing problem since the 1950s - why is that? And if we can't abate the problems we're having with alcohol, why in the world would we want to exacerbate those problems by opening the floodgates to marijuana as well?

About the only way I'd be in favor of legalizing MORE drugs in this country would be if we - as a society - put as much disapprobation and disapproval into the misuse of drugs (including alcohol) as we do the remnants of racism and bigotry (real and imagined) in this country today. Make people ashamed of being drunk or stoned, and I say: have at it. Otherwise, let's not.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    'Tis a shame we're having to have this discussion. From anecdotal evidence, apparently, pot doesn't have any worse effects than alcohol, but think of the damage alcohol - or the unsafe use of alcohol - has caused in the past 60 years or so (just to set a timeline). I'd hate to think how many of my near-contemporaries in aviation lost their lives in Vietnam because of alcohol-effect-related accidents. I'm curious how many soldiers in Vietnam died because they were high when they should have been watchful. I know my paternal grandfather - an alcoholic - was drunk when he died in a car accident and killed two other people besides. I know my father - also an alcoholic - put the family in terrible financial shape through his drinking. I also know that dope has been a factor in a number of highway accidents, just like alcohol

When I was in the Army in the early 70s, alcohol was a regular companion to many soldiers and driving drunk was a "peccadillo", but by 1974 the Army was seeing it as a serious problem; we had a young Lieutenant cashiered over a drunk-driving arrest. By 2008, the Officer's Club and NCO Club were distant memories at Ft. Rucker and Ft. Lewis. Unsafe behavior while abusing drugs or alcohol has become an increasing problem since the 1950s - why is that? And if we can't abate the problems we're having with alcohol, why in the world would we want to exacerbate those problems by opening the floodgates to marijuana as well?

About the only way I'd be in favor of legalizing MORE drugs in this country would be if we - as a society - put as much disapprobation and disapproval into the misuse of drugs (including alcohol) as we do the remnants of racism and bigotry (real and imagined) in this country today. Make people ashamed of being drunk or stoned, and I say: have at it. Otherwise, let's not.
    So, you believe it is the governments job to protect people from themselves?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So, you believe it is the governments job to protect people from themselves?

Please re-read what I wrote. I know it gets difficult if we use more than one paragraph (I have that issue myself with others' posts sometimes), but please re-read my post and point out where I mentioned "government." I said: "society." Another synonym might be: "culture." Still another might be: "peer pressure."

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Welfare recipients may not use their benefits to purchase such drugs, and must be tested for their use. One positive test permanently ends ALL welfare and unemployment benefits.

Currently one can argue that welfare recipients who are caught using drugs should get cut off because drugs are illegal. But if you legalize it, then what's the argument? Big Brother can run your life for you? If so, why can't Big Brother tell you you can't drink soda, because it's just empty calories? No sex for you if you're on welfare, because (1) if you end up making babies, you can't afford them anyway; (2) if you use condoms, that's just a waste of taxpayer money. You have to be up by 5 AM to look for a job, and lights out by 10 PM. You have to exercise, because you need sound mind and sound body to get a job. I think it's a bad idea for the government to play morality police in some situations.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please re-read what I wrote. I know it gets difficult if we use more than one paragraph (I have that issue myself with others' posts sometimes), but please re-read my post and point out where I mentioned "government." I said: "society." Another synonym might be: "culture." Still another might be: "peer pressure."

I totally got your meaning.
    I did not see anything Gov. related in it.

Rocko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't smoke weed, but I do drink alcohol. I personally don't see one as worse than the other. I just think if it is legalized, that there needs to be a way of testing how under the influence they are. Breathalyzers can tell if your too drunk to drive, but what can tell if your too high to drive?

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    If you think this is an untrue statement, please identify the ways that marijuana is worse than alcohol.

I'll just drop this little bit of knowledge here....

DrugFacts: Marijuana | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

i still ill don't care what you do or put in your body as long as it doesn't affect me or mine.

of my 4 kids, one smokes weed and is a complete loser. Dropped out of school at 16, kicked out of house about 3.7 seconds later, can't find or hold a job because everyone is dumb or out to get him. His "friends" are all potheads as well. He is a dedicated follower and rarely leads anything.

the other 3 kids, one in medical school, other two in advanced placement schools for math and science. National Honor Society, class presidents, one is VP for their NHS chapter, lettered in sports, very popular and natural leaders (they are in charge of their cliques), outgoing, friendly and caring.

i love all my kids but, the bonehead, well, he is a bonehead and I don't bail him out of the tight spots he gets himself into. He needs to learn, gotta be tough to be dumb.

Last edited:

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I don't think anyone is arguing that marijuana is a health supplement here. It's a drug. It has medical uses. Whether it's more or less dangerous than alcohol is largely irrelevant. Most importantly, simply possessing it should not allow the government to put you in a cage.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    So where do you draw the line? Cocaine? Hash? Heroin? Meth?

Hey we should be allowed to do meth because they get to have weed!

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    While I will grant you that weed may not lead to a significant rise in violent crime or burglaries, those other drugs I listed can and will.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I'm good with people eating rat poison so long as they do it on their own property and we do not have to pay for their medical bills.

There are all kinds of activities that I do not think people should participate in, but I'm not so full of myself that I would use the law to dictate their behavior. I ain't asking nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I'm good with people eating rat poison so long as they do it on their own property and we do not have to pay for their medical bills.

There are all kinds of activities that I do not think people should participate in, but I'm not so full of myself that I would use the law to dictate their behavior. I ain't asking nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own.

That would be a great stance to have if we could get .gov to not treat these dopers in the ER when they OD....or maybe we could just ask the crack head and meth heads to pretty please respect our property.....if they are allowed have and use their drugs, I am sure they will be so appreciative that they won't steal my stuff to fund their habit.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That would be a great stance to have if we could get .gov to not treat these dopers in the ER when they OD....or maybe we could just ask the crack head and meth heads to pretty please respect our property.....if they are allowed have and use their drugs, I am sure they will be so appreciative that they won't steal my stuff to fund their habit.

That's the beauty of it. Crack and meth would be as cheap as coca cola if the government were not messing with the market.

Ask them pretty please with sugar on top if you like. You can even wear that frilly dress. Or you can shoot them in the face, I don't much care.

I just don't see where we get off trying to mommy everyone into doing what we want them to. Take away little johny's meth so he doesn't break into Sainte's shed...or hang little johny for stealing and be done with it. I'm ready to try freedom and consequences for a change.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

The "line" you wish to impose is itself the problem. What gives you the right to draw a line over what someone else does with their own body? How about Trans-fats? Fast foods? Cigarettes? Energy drinks? Soda? Moonshine? Cuban cigars?

I'm for ending all prohibition. No "line." It doesn't work and it costs a fortune.

One way or another, there are going to be addicts among us. I'd prefer the situation in which taxpayers are NOT being bilked for billions of dollars, and SWAT teams are NOT breaking into homes over non-violent crimes. End the drug war. I'm not scared of too much freedom.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    So many people on this forum believes that guns don't kill people, people kill people. We believe banning guns won't lower the crime rate, because bad guys don't follow the law anyway. So how come some of us believe in banning drugs? Do bad guys follow the law when it comes to drugs? "Oh goodness gracious me! I didn't know that meth is illegal. I'd better stop working at that superlab under the laundry." When you outlaw drugs, only outlaws will have drugs, right?

Is it possible that some people might think drugs are OK for their health because they are legal? That's absurd. What, do we think that guns shoot vitamin pills rather than death-dealing bullets?

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Ok, so legalize it all. And then cry a river when one of your kids or relatives is hooked or killed by the crap. Do you even realize how dangerous this stuff is?

well, you know what, I'm not going to change your minds or make you see reason so screw it go fry your noodle. Unfortunately, under Obamacare, society will have to take care of your brain dead carcass. It's not all black and white like you want to. Paint it.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Any scenario of maintaining the status quo certainly implies a great deal of government.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Ok, so legalize it all. And then cry a river when one of your kids or relatives is hooked or killed by the crap. Do you even realize how dangerous this stuff is?

well, you know what, I'm not going to change your minds or make you see reason so screw it go fry your noodle. Unfortunately, under Obamacare, society will have to take care of your brain dead carcass. It's not all black and white like you want to. Paint it.

Does the current law stop people from becoming addicted? Obviously not. You can get drugs anywhere, despite decades of prohibition and a trillion dollars wasted.

Do you want smaller government, less taxes, less laws, more freedom? I'm not advocating you become a crackhead.

Top Bottom