• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    isn't that the point of the whole Libertarian movement? "Don't tread on me" and so forth? Perhaps if we abolish the Fed, EPA, FDA, TSA, Homeland Security, Dept of Education (just to name a few) we wouldn't need to be heavily taxed and the government could go back to protecting my individual rights instead of telling me how, what or why I should live my life. If I want to smoke pot, then I'll smoke pot. If I don't then I won't. But I don't need the government telling me that I have to pay them to allow me to ingest something. That's my business.

You can already grow your own tobacco and you can brew your own beer - what makes you think you wouldn't be allowed to grow your own weed?

Also, weed could be taxed a lot and still be a lot cheaper than it currently is.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Marijuana is no worse than alcohol.
    For ONCE BHO got one right.
    (but even a broken clock is right twice a day)

That DOESN'T mean I advocate everybody use it or alcohol.
    But in a free society, marijuana isn't such a hard drug that somebody should go to jail for simply smoking it if they aren't endangering others.

Through the years looking back, I can't think of even ONE instance of a pot smoking neighbor getting high and thinking they're the "world's toughest man" tearing up the place and ready to take on all comers. :):

The same CAN'T be said of all my alcohol using neighbors through the years.

Marijuana should be treated like wine and beer making.
    If you want to grow an amount for your own use, and DON'T deal in it, it should be legal to do.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    As a somewhat objective opinion: (I don't drink or use)
    alcohol is much worse that marajuana from both a health and a social perspective.

When end was the last time a guy comes home after smoking a joint and beats his wife in stoned stupor?

last time you heard of a pot related traffic accident?

alcohol causes cirrhosis and is implicated in many other health related concerns. Withdrawal from alcohol is life threatening.

IMO using any substance that decreases the control over your own mind is stupid. Do what you want in your own home. The tendency to abuse any substance vs use in moderation is just as big a problem with alcohol. Not all drinkers are alcoholics, not all pot smokers are deadbeats.

In related news, Obama and I agree on something! Which hasn't happened since he declared that he didn't earn the Nobel Peace Prize.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Marijuana is only illegal because the timber and paper industries were worried about competition. The "morality police" have been quite a useful tool in justifying the asinine war on drugs.

The war on drugs is not much different than any other war we fight these days. Keep it going and run up the numbers. Keep the funding coming in.
    The war would not be required if the market was not there. If enough people want something someone will supply it.
    I have no great issues with legalizing pot and setting standards for it as in clean/low tar etc.
    My issues are with hard life altering drugs. Meth/coke/heroin come to mind. Pharmaceutical abuse comes to mind.
    There will always be a segment of the population that is just a waste of skin. They will find a way to get high at any cost.
    A good friend owned a motel on the west side for years. It was a flea bag deal but he had a great pool there and a lot of fun in the summer time. I witnessed more than a few Over dosses come out of there. People huffing glue/paint/substances undetermined. I did not partake. We were there for the pool and the late night swims. Just saying I have seen enough of this part of life to know it will always be a part of our culture. No laws/programs/understanding will eliminate it.
    Unfortunately even if legalized there will still be an underground market to supply those not old enough with the evil weed....

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    At least at this point, any employer would be free to fire (or not hire in the first place) someone who had marijuana in the blood (or urine or hair), regardless of whether it came from use at home or on the job.

That's because (again, at this point) marijuana users are not a protected class, like women, minorities, certain religions (all except Christianity), etc. If potheads manage to get themselves classified as an aggrieved minority, then look out.... employers won't be able to fire them for using.

I look to see an ADA suit brought by someone who gets "medical marijuana" and gets fired by an employer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At least at this point, any employer would be free to fire (or not hire in the first place) someone who had marijuana in the blood (or urine or hair), regardless of whether it came from use at home or on the job.

That's because (again, at this point) marijuana users are not a protected class, like women, minorities, certain religions (all except Christianity), etc. If potheads manage to get themselves classified as an aggrieved minority, then look out.... employers won't be able to fire them for using.

I look to see an ADA suit brought by someone who gets "medical marijuana" and gets fired by an employer.

I refuse to work with a "Drunk" or a "Pothead"
    Neither are worth :poop: on the job.
    Casual users of either one are not a danger but someone that rolls in reeking of booze or reefer can just turn their sorry a$$es around and go away from me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I imagine that it would be the same as testing positive for pain killers with a prescription.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    alcohol is much worse that marajuana from both a health and a social perspective.

When end was the last time a guy comes home after smoking a joint and beats his wife in stoned stupor?

last time you heard of a pot related traffic accident?

alcohol causes cirrhosis and is implicated in many other health related concerns. Withdrawal from alcohol is life threatening.

IMO using any substance that decreases the control over your own mind is stupid. Do what you want in your own home. The tendency to abuse any substance vs use in moderation is just as big a problem with alcohol. Not all drinkers are alcoholics, not all pot smokers are deadbeats.

In related news, Obama and I agree on something! Which hasn't happened since he declared that he didn't earn the Nobel Peace Prize.
    I've never heard of anyone smoking themselves to death either, unlike alcohol where people can and do kill themselves drinking.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Brownie anyone?

weed-brownies.jpg

I have Cheetos for later.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.

I would also think alcohol is worse than marijuana. Of course, there is still this story:

Tests in cannibalism case: Zombie-like attacker used pot, not 'bath salts' - CNN.com

My question is, did marijuana somehow affect that person differently? Was he just plain psycho to begin with? Perhaps they didn't test him for enough varied substances to find the real root of the problem. It will be interesting if a bunch more people start using it, and we see other odd effects in a subset of the users. I would think we would know all of its potential effects after this much time though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would also think alcohol is worse than marijuana. Of course, there is still this story:

Tests in cannibalism case: Zombie-like attacker used pot, not 'bath salts' - CNN.com

My question is, did marijuana somehow affect that person differently? Was he just plain psycho to begin with? Perhaps they didn't test him for enough varied substances to find the real root of the problem. It will be interesting if a bunch more people start using it, and we see other odd effects in a subset of the users. I would think we would know all of its potential effects after this much time though.

That guy was just totally Whack.
    '
    Way to many stoners for this to be reefer related.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh. I misunderstood. That is sad.

It is sad in a way but to have watched him do this and the damage it caused over his life still sets my hair on fire. We as a family and I as his brother did all we could to get his head removed from his rectal cavity.
    It was to no avail. He got so bad he was stealing from everyone and took advantage of my oldest son. This caused him great pain on several occasions (every time I saw him) and he eventually went to Florida to sponge off of friends and family down there. He ran that into the ground and returned. I will never understand why someone would do this.

Yes....alcohol is far worse than the evil weed.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That guy was just totally Whack.
    '
    Way to many stoners for this to be reefer related.

Google the scientific literature on marijuana and schizophrenia. There are a lot of troubling studies... a lot. Some believe that chronic use may cause or trigger schizophrenia. Certainly it isn't the only cause. I am not saying that. Certainly lots of people use pot with no permanent ill effects. I didn't say that. And no it isn't just old studies. I know some of you have a hard time with grey areas and want to look at everything black and white. Most of life doesn't fall in that category.

Pot Smokers and Schizophrenic Patients May Share Similar Brain Changes | TIME.com

This is just one article that I read that I found interesting. I am linking for your reading pleasure. This is not the definitive article or study. Like I said, google it before you pooh pooh it.

Top Bottom