• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

To Kutnupe14,

I don't know about rap music, but country music has been linked to a higher suicide rate.

Link: http://comp.uark.edu/~ches/CountryMusic_Suicide.pdf

Within this study it also notes that country music has been linked to "increased levels of consumption of alcohol (Schaefer 1988)."

It would appear that for some people listening to a certain type music over and over again can have some impact on how they think and/or behave.

However, I haven't seen any evidence as to whether the 18 year old who was shot listened to any type of music, or that he was not attending school, or that he did not have a job. Therefore, I cannot draw any conclusions on his act of stupidity based upon nonexistent evidence.

Regards and Happy Holidays,

Doug

Well, as is my M.O., when something irks me, I challenge it. Someone implied earlier up thread, that rap music is partially at root to violence. Noting that we have no idea what many of these criminals listen too, I am left to believe that appearance is what inspired such an ignorant comment. I don't believe music has any pervasive hand in people's actions. If it did, then it only reasons that television, video games, movies, books, and billboard signs do as well.

And Happy Holidays to you as well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ok fine, it only inspires people to have "anti-police sentiment"

The power of lyrics!

This is the difference between the people that are truly protesting, and those that are taking advantage of a situation to act out in a lawless manner and at the extreme, ambush police officers while they sit in their cars. I may not agree with what they are protesting about, but if it's peaceful, nobody is getting hurt, no property being destroyed, then go for it.

You have to admit that some rap music (ie. "gangsta rap" - they don't call it that for nothing) that does glorify drugs, prostitution, violence, etc.. I mean Tupac even had an album called "Thug Life" - how am I to interpret that? At the place I worked with the guys I mentioned earlier, it was the subject of conversation with one of the guys that was about my age. He and I were both fans of old Motown music. We both agreed that somewhere along the line, we went from "Betcha By Golly Wow" to "F*** Tha Police". Neither of us could explain why, but we both agreed that it wasn't a good change. As for whether this rap music "causes" the lawlessness, I guess it's a chicken and egg kind of thing. Does rap inspire lawlessness, or does lawlessness inspire rap? :dunno:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Well, as is my M.O., when something irks me, I challenge it. Someone implied earlier up thread, that rap music is partially at root to violence. Noting that we have no idea what many of these criminals listen too, I am left to believe that appearance is what inspired such an ignorant comment. I don't believe music has any pervasive hand in people's actions. If it did, then it only reasons that television, video games, movies, books, and billboard signs do as well.

Not that my opinion matters, but I don't believe music has a direct influence on a person's behavior either. In my younger days, I listened to heavy-metal music constantly. The lyrics in a lot of those songs were dark and violent, yet here I sit sober as a judge, never having murdered anyone or committed any kind of serious crime. A person that makes a poor decision in life can blame nothing but his own dumb ass.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ok, let's try this approach to the question instead and see if we can solve this mystery together.

WHERE did the perp learn that pointing that gun at the cops head was an acceptable action?
    Did his parent(s) teach him that?
    Did he learn it in school?
    Do they have online courses or something?

He just woke up one day, walked down the street, found this scrubbed gun laying in the gutter,
    picked it up and went to the mini mart totally oblivious as to what the thing he picked up was,
    then when talking to the police decided to point it at the cops head still not knowing the outcome of those actions?
    Right?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Ok, let's try this approach to the question instead and see if we can solve this mystery together.

WHERE did the perp learn that pointing that gun at the cops head was an acceptable action?

He just woke up one day, walked down the street, found this scrubbed gun laying in the gutter,
    picked it up and went to the mini mart totally oblivious as to what the thing he picked up was,
    then when talking to the police decided to point it at the cops head still not knowing the outcome of those actions?
    Right?

yes i think your right!!!!......sound good to me....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Right?

Going out on limb, but not thoroughly being taught the difference between right from wrong by a guardian may be a place we could start.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Going out on limb, but not thoroughly being taught the difference between right from wrong by a guardian may be a place we could start.

Yes, that is a GREAT place to start.

Raising children is hard.
    Let me repeat that............raising children is hard.

It's not a task that everyone is up to.
    That's not a harsh statement, that is just reality.

They are not throw away items, they are not mistakes.
    If you do not raise them and give them the time and attention they need to develop solid reasonable world views someone else WILL.
    I'm not talking about life programming that they will follow or have to follow their entire life.
    They need a basic right, wrong, safety mindset that will protect them from bad decisions like pulling a gun on a cop later in life.

You can't push them to the side and expect them to develop without proper guidance.
    Popular MEDIA does play a roll in filling in the vacuum created by an absent parent.
    Jersey Shore and teen mom is not a good roll model to follow.
    Kids are sponges, they absorb the bad just as easily as the good. They need to be taught the difference.

THEY NEED AN ACTIVE PARENT/GUARDIAN IN THEIR LIFE.
    Until that happens and the culture of cheap/disposable life is reversed this will continue.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    How about you explain that rap part? Is there some hidden message that hypnotizes people into committing acts of violence?

Silly Kut, EVERYBODY knows if you play it backwards it says to stay in school, get a job, and be a good person......duhhhh...!!!

The REAL problem is it's hard to get a CD or MP3 player to spin the wrong way...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Of course books and movies etc do as well. How many people on the fence about enlisting did Tom Clancy and the like convince to take the plunge? Familiarity, priming, etc are basic principles in marketing and psychology. Why do you think people advertise? We are not as immune to our surroundings and "free will" as we like to think. The effect may be small, but it's present.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, that is a GREAT place to start.

Raising children is hard.
    Let me repeat that............raising children is hard.

It's not a task that everyone is up to.
    That's not a harsh statement, that is just reality.

They are not throw away items, they are not mistakes.
    If you do not raise them and give them the time and attention they need to develop solid reasonable world views someone else WILL.
    I'm not talking about life programming that they will follow or have to follow their entire life.
    They need a basic right, wrong, safety mindset that will protect them from bad decisions like pulling a gun on a cop later in life.

You can't push them to the side and expect them to develop without proper guidance.
    Popular MEDIA does play a roll in filling in the vacuum created by an absent parent.
    Jersey Shore and teen mom is not a good roll model to follow.
    Kids are sponges, they absorb the bad just as easily as the good. They need to be taught the difference.

THEY NEED AN ACTIVE PARENT/GUARDIAN IN THEIR LIFE.
    Until that happens and the culture of cheap/disposable life is reversed this will continue.

:+1:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to printcraft again."

Dealing with this with my niece and with one of DoggyMama's daughters. Both have 3 kids. The kids are not a part of their lives. They're just too inconvenient. Apparently birth control was just too inconvenient too.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Of course books and movies etc do as well. How many people on the fence about enlisting did Tom Clancy and the like convince to take the plunge? Familiarity, priming, etc are basic principles in marketing and psychology. Why do you think people advertise? We are not as immune to our surroundings and "free will" as we like to think. The effect may be small, but it's present.

There has to be a basis for belief prior to. Clancy may have made the services look glamorous, but he was only able to do so because a respect of the services was already present. For instance it's well known that PDs have issues hiring minorities. That basis is IMO typically because they don't respect the profession and think the profession doesn't respect them. I have a number of friends that would never consider law enforcement. I grew up a military brat, so I respected police due to that being instilled by my parents. Had they been telling me, "there's no place in law enforcement for a black man," I honestly doubt I would have ended up where I am, not matter how many episodes of Hill Street Blues, Adam 12, Shaft, or Dragnet I saw. And I've been listening to rap, since I was a kid.... of which there are many types. And I own NWA's Straight Outta Compton.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

Agree with that. The weak minded can be swayed, I see enough Subway commercials and Whamo….I'm at Subway buying a footlong. Music is inspiration and sometimes worship, but often IMHO its the person and what they value or don't value that draws them to a certain music. More suicides are linked with Country music, based on the depression side of Country music, however did the music do it, or the depression of the person draw them to it? Now I have to finish the rest of my footlong meatball sub.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There has to be a basis for belief prior to. Clancy may have made the services look glamorous, but he was only able to do so because a respect of the services was already present. For instance it's well known that PDs have issues hiring minorities. That basis is IMO typically because they don't respect the profession and think the profession doesn't respect them. I have a number of friends that would never consider law enforcement. I grew up a military brat, so I respected police due to that being instilled by my parents. Had they been telling me, "there's no place in law enforcement for a black man," I honestly doubt I would have ended up where I am, not matter how many episodes of Hill Street Blues, Adam 12, Shaft, or Dragnet I saw. And I've been listening to rap, since I was a kid.... of which there are many types. And I own NWA's Straight Outta Compton.

Which is what I said. It's not going to flip your world view but it is a nudge. A lot of nudges equates to a push. How much push a person needs varies.

Do you not think songs like that further engender disrespect for law enforcement among at least some at risk populations? Even if it's only 2 percent, is that not significant? Does more disrespect bit equate to less compliance resulting in a higher chance for conflict and injury?

Sad thing to support financially in my eyes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I agree with these highlighted points. You had the respect instilled by your parents. In the absence of positive influence, a void is left and negative influence is only too ready to rush right in and fill that void. If you'd been inundated with nothing but negative influences, as you said, you probably would not have ended up where you are today. In that environment of all negative, no positive, negative messages in the media (be it news, music, movies, books, whatever) are going to have an influence, and it won't be a good one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Which is what I said. It's not going to flip your world view but it is a nudge. A lot of nudges equates to a push. How much push a person needs varies.

Do you not think songs like that further engender disrespect for law enforcement among at least some at risk populations? Even if it's only 2 percent, is that not significant? Does more disrespect bit equate to less compliance resulting in a higher chance for conflict and injury?

Sad thing to support financially in my eyes.

If we're to support financially only the things with morally good messages, we have a lot less to watch, read, or hear. I'm sure you don't condone mass murder, but I'm betting you've seen Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, or Friday the 13th.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    C'mon now. Can you point out one, just ONE country song that had a title (or lyrics) even close to being analogous to "F*** Tha Police" by NWA?

In case you're not familiar with the lyrics, here's a little snippet. The rest isn't fit to post in polite company.

"And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a bloodbath
    of cops, dyin in L.A.
    Yo Dre, I got somethin to say"

Let's just say that subtlety isn't their strong suit, eh?

Never seen the video for Brantley Gilbert's "Bottoms Up", have ya? I'm sure he just winged the sheriff in that one.

Top Bottom