• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I needed a day pack for a trip west with my son last summer. I ended up getting this one.

Cabela's: Cabela's All-Day Transporter Fanny Pack

Really comfortable. We camped in the yosemite valley and hiked out and back every day. 2 quarts water, first aid kit, fleece, rain gear, food, compass & map, binos, extra socks all the other little odds and ends you want to carry if you happen to get caught overnight. It was very comfortable.

P1010523.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This thread has been extremely informative and helpful!

As noted in my last post, I've picked up an inexpensive knock-off pack from fellow INGOer. This should help me decide what size and options are a good fit for my needs (its a tad bit bigger than I was originally looking for). Its a good next step without dropping serious coin (which I'm hesitant to do until I have more hiking experience).

Keep the ideas coming. I'll update this thread after I get some time with the new pack.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've always had great experiences with Mountainsmith. I have a lumbar daypack, a couple ski bags and another bigger pack. They are great packs, very durable.

Mountainsmith

Another brand you may check out is Lowe Alpine. I have an older backpack that I use for backpacking. They are great as well.

Lowe Alpine - Manufacturers of outdoor equipment including packs and apparel for a wide range of activities.

As for websites, check out Sierra Trading Post: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/packs-backpacks-and-daypacks~d~174/

I have used them often with no problems.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Not to hyjack but, did you buy the Fox, esrice? Just curious as if you did it's what i have.
    Just curious, if how you will like it.

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Mailed it today, it said Thursday. Postage cost a bit more than I anticipated, but such is life. I am sure you will like it!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Excellent! I gotta tell ya, if they hold up, I think it's an excellent design. At least for me.

Floatch, do you sell them on the internet or just here? Just curious as I may want another if it holds up and a couple buddies really liked the design. I told them to wait till the next 1500 but if you have them, I'll pass it along. (you weren't at the 1500, were you???????)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I swear by an old Dana Designs Terraplane, but it's a lot bigger pack than you're looking for. You might be able to find a used Dana Designs bombpack out on Ebay...

Arc'teryx for sure makes good stuff, one of my mountaineering shells is an Arc'teryx - but they are salty.

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Excellent! I gotta tell ya, if they hold up, I think it's an excellent design. At least for me.

Floatch, do you sell them on the internet or just here? Just curious as I may want another if it holds up and a couple buddies really liked the design. I told them to wait till the next 1500 but if you have them, I'll pass it along. (you weren't at the 1500, were you???????)

I'm not a dealer, just a dude with a backpack. Actually, not even that anymore, I sent it off to Evan today!
    I liked the design very much, found it just the right size. I must have dropped the right hint somewhere because my wife bought me a Maxpedition Falcon 2 last week. It's the backpack that my old one was a copy of.
    My buddy Matt got a grey one at our local show last year for maybe $40? It's a great pack.
    And no, I didn't make it to the 1500. I'll be going to the Valpo show next month though! Might have to give Sheila some money at the knifestrategies.com booth for another ESEE!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Outstanding!!!!!!
    Now I know if the quality fails on the one I have, someone makes a top quality one (I think, judging from the price) that I can get.

Good luck with the knifestrategies hint!! :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE

So I picked up this pack from floatch here in the INGO Classifieds. The price was right and the transaction went smooth as glass.

https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=1&ccid=1&cscid=1

I received it today and got to give it a once-over. A few initial impressions:

• Looking at it online I thought it was on the big side of what I was looking for. Now that I have it in my hands its size seems very well suited to my needs.
    • I like that this bag can go from small to medium sized depending on the load. Several compression straps help ensure that items are secure and stable.
    • Stitching and material quality looks on par with similar items from Condor or VooDoo Tactical.
    • Bag has several features that I've never tried before-- sternum strap, waist strap, hydration bladder pocket.
    • Pockets seem well-appointed and useful.
    I'm looking forward to trying it out on our next hike. I'm thinking we may hit Brown County State Park for a dayhike sometime in the next few weeks. Will update after I break this in!

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Hike and shoot???? :rockwoot: :D
    Glad you thought it was a good pack as well. I did see it's "expensive twin" on the web. I think it's a good enough design to spring for the expensive one if this one doesn't hold up. I hope it does. Other than maybe the stitching blowing out, everything looks good to me.

I'm taking another pistol course on Sunday and we have to bring 500 rounds and gear. I loaded it with my IDPA gear, which is basically what it's for, and the 500 rounds and it seems to handle it just fine. Longevity is now the key. :rolleyes:

---------------Off topic a little bit-----------
    BTW, this Sunday's course is my 3rd course with Red Dot Tactical and the first two were great. I know there were some "issues" here at one time but, I gotta tell ya, they are good guys and I think they have a good grip on training. But, that is just my, and those who took the courses with me, opinion. I'm kinda hoping that in the future they won't be so heavily critisized for their lack of ability in website contruction and more on their training abilities.

I'll be looking to hear what you think of the pack after you put it thru the motions.
    Later buddy....

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    UPDATE

So I picked up this pack from floatch here in the INGO Classifieds. The price was right and the transaction went smooth as glass.

https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=1&ccid=1&cscid=1

I received it today and got to give it a once-over. A few initial impressions:

• Looking at it online I thought it was on the big side of what I was looking for. Now that I have it in my hands its size seems very well suited to my needs.
    • I like that this bag can go from small to medium sized depending on the load. Several compression straps help ensure that items are secure and stable.
    • Stitching and material quality looks on par with similar items from Condor or VooDoo Tactical.
    • Bag has several features that I've never tried before-- sternum strap, waist strap, hydration bladder pocket.
    • Pockets seem well-appointed and useful.
    I'm looking forward to trying it out on our next hike. I'm thinking we may hit Brown County State Park for a dayhike sometime in the next few weeks. Will update after I break this in!

I have a brand new never used Condor pack like that I would've sold you:):

I also have one in coyote that I use :yesway:

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I cannot help but notice all the military and or para-military advice, tactical ect. No offense to guys here but I have done a l of trekking with a few guys prepared and a few guys ill prepared. Guess what the ill-prepared carry? Alice In Wonderland. Explore the world of civillian packs that are made for comfort. They are light weight, comfortable, have a good paddled waist strap (which is where the weight should be) on your hips. A sternum strap is nice to, keeps it from wobbling all over the place. Adjustable straps of every kind are nice. You don't have to pay a lot to get these things unless you want to pay for the name North Face or Osprey. Get used to having a sweaty back. You don't need an external frame anymore, I havn't seen many on the trail since the early to mid 90's. Especially in a day pack.

Top Bottom