Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Arc'Teryx. Not poser toys but real packs. The Naos, Arrakis, Arro, Acrux and RT series... I've had a Arro 22 for nearly a year and just added an Arrakis 40 Tall.

There are some manufacturers who've been making bomb-proof gear for years that are overlooked as being part of the "yuppie-granola" crowd. Suunto and Arc'Teryx are two of my favorites who fit that bill. I've owned a collection of MaxPed/5.11 and the heavy duty Arc'Teryx stuff difference is clear. Want it to look more "tactical?" Google LEAF & Arc'Teryx. The USMC looked to Arc'Teryx for the design of the USMC ILBE that was built by Propper. Arc'teryx also has a lifetime warranty.

The things are incredibly durable.

(Suunto? Beat the XLander all over hell and back for over ten years. Out of boredom, I replaced it with a clearanced All-Black Mil Suunto Core. Suuntos make the timex/casio "rugged" watches look like toys.)

Osprey is another good name in packs.

Stacey I'm skipping your post on purpose because all I see is "yadda yadda $$$$ yadda $$$$ $$$$ and $$$$$". ;)

:laugh:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Stacey I'm skipping your post on purpose because all I see is "yadda yadda $$$$ yadda $$$$ $$$$ and $$$$$". ;)

:laugh:

Buy once, cry once. Once I realized I actually survived past thirty, I figured my stuff needed to last at least 15-20 years when purchased. Lifetime warranties became cool things. :):

I'll let you take a look at them. Give me 'til after Super Bowl is over and I'll have some time. Arc'teryx is like an addictive drug.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Buy once, cry once. Once I realized I actually survived past thirty, I figured my stuff needed to last at least 15-20 years when purchased. Lifetime warranties became cool things. :):

:yesway:.....lol I abuse all my gear during practice, training, PT.....I definitely don't "baby" it or think twice about it being on me ....if doesn't survive that, then it's not going to stick around in my "arsenal"

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I hear that. I'm just not to the level of "hiker" that requires top-end gear at this point. That could always change.

I'll let you take a look at them. Give me 'til after Super Bowl is over and I'll have some time. Arc'teryx is like an addictive drug.

That'd be great. I need more expensive hobbies. :D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I hear that. I'm just not to the level of "hiker" that requires top-end gear at this point. That could always change.

That'd be great. I need more expensive hobbies. :D

yeah, but if you plan on doing more of it, or if it is your intention to be "prepared" for any potential situation where you may have to hump with the pack......you want the comfort on your back and under your feet....or you'll hurt yourself eventually.........the whole "train hard, so combat seems easy" motto/theory...REALLY pays off in my experience

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    I personally like the Northface packs Internal frames. I spend a week in the Daniel Boone national forest (red river goerge) every year. great pack and confortable to carry with 50-60 pounds

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If it goes on your back, then you've got to think of it like what goes on your feet. There is a science involved in what works in that dynamic movement of carrying a load over varying terrain.

Now, the folks whose daypack gets loaded with 45lbs of gear - rippling in more lumpy, unbalanced, externally attached, limb-grabbing pouches - to never be lugged more than 60' from the house to the car to the range. It doesn't matter that the ergos of that pack are crap.

I swear though, the vast majority of those mil-tac looking packs are designed around looking cool to the target market. They should spend a little money and hire an engineer - or even contract one during design - who understands and can provide a pack that is actually made to support a load on someone's back. To say the ergos suck on the majority of the khaki/black/camo "loaded with molle" packs - that would be an understatement.

Molle: The New Bling.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If it goes on your back, then you've got to think of it like what goes on your feet. There is a science involved in what works in that dynamic movement of carrying a load over varying terrain.

Now, the folks whose daypack gets loaded with 45lbs of gear - rippling in more lumpy, unbalanced, externally attached, limb-grabbing pouches - to never be lugged more than 60' from the house to the car to the range. It doesn't matter that the ergos of that pack are crap.

I swear though, the vast majority of those mil-tac looking packs are designed around looking cool to the target market. They should spend a little money and hire an engineer - or even contract one during design - who understands and can provide a pack that is actually made to support a load on someone's back. To say the ergos suck on the majority of the khaki/black/camo "loaded with molle" packs - that would be an understatement.

Molle: The New Bling.

agreed.....Arc'Teryx = EVERY penny WELL SPENT......very comfortable and durable...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    To say the ergos suck on the majority of the khaki/black/camo "loaded with molle" packs - that would be an understatement.

I've already noticed this. I don't mind looking "yuppie/granola" with a functional pack-- so long as it isn't bright purple or something. :D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    (Noah's) Ark ---- Tear (I'm gonna tear you a new one!) Ix (Like Sticks.)

Admit it... you already clicked on the LEAF site.

Here's both again.
    Arc'teryx

Arc'teryx LEAF

:laugh:....yep, like that

it's money well spent.....take it from grunts who's job was practically to hump 100lbs of gear over crappy terrain all day...You'll LOVE these packs...I haven't tried their civilian stuff, but they designed the ILBE that I beat the hell out of all the time on duty and off...and I love the things....the used ILBE stuff is a bit cheaper than brand new civilian stuff though I would imagine....and that's why I buy them...regardless, they're worth the money

Top Bottom