• Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Surprised nobody mentioned the Eagle A-III
    EYAIIIPLKH.jpg

NatchezSS has them for a very good price. I have one in foliage that I just retired for an Eberlestock LoDrag. I needed more capacity and can now carry a rifle in my backpack.

ETA: The eagle has a molle version. If that's your style.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Surprised nobody mentioned the Eagle A-III
    EYAIIIPLKH.jpg

NatchezSS has them for a very good price. I have one in foliage that I just retired for an Eberlestock LoDrag. I needed more capacity and can now carry a rifle in my backpack.

ETA: The eagle has a molle version. If that's your style.

DBH mentioned it a few post above yours, from NatchezSS too. But you're right, it is a great bag!

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    my absolute favorite day pack (and light/fast overnight pack) is my arc'teryx rt25.

plain-jane looking pack, plenty of room for most things i do, surprisingly water-resistant (almost waterproof), extremely comfortable, water bladder capable.

the main compartment loads from the top and has a fold over cinch down type closure much like a sealine bag, has an external pouch for your possibles, and it has proven to be very very very durable over the years that i have had pretty hard use on it.

that's my :twocents:.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You might take a look at Hill People Gear's stuff Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers HPG (Hill People Gear) Tarahumara Pack and Runners Kit Bag - Bushcraft USA Forums

I have their Running Kit Bag and I use it whenever I'm running or hiking - probably my most used bag. Their Tarahumara small pack might be about what you're looking for, but you might also like the kit bag concept. I sweat a LOT less with the mesh on my back and gear in the front. I am thinking of getting a Taruhumara to mostly use as a compression panel on an ALICE pack and to use the shoulder harness.

You also won't go wrong by heading to Rusted Moon or with Arc'teryx.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    And yes, Indy is getting an REI. Going in were the old Dick's Sporting Goods was located on 82nd Street and Allisonville

Other side of the highway. It's going where Linens n Things was.

REI has a variety of day pack sizes. I got the Lookout 40 a couple weeks ago; I think it is on the large side of what would be a day pack at 2500 cubic inches. It has a sleeve and opening for a hydration bladder. Pretty cavernous inside. I think I got the 2011 model on sale with a coupon so it turned out to be pretty cheap, but the regular price is right at the top of your budget. REI stuff is guaranteed for life.

Also look at LL Bean.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Day Pack

Osprey Talon... You will not find a better performing pack for the money. Or try a GoLite. What I would do, wait til summer when REI comes in on the North Side, and Try some of the REI Line (REI pinnacle is a nice one).

Rusted Moon is a SOLID place to go too. I have purchased many items from them. They cannot get REI items... But they do carry Osprey.

I have an older Dana Designs and Older Kelty for my options. Kelty is No Good when carrying more than 20#'s. Dana Designs is good for Backpacking/climbing because it is narrow.

Good Boots go a LONG WAY too... I recommend ASOLO's. Powermatics or 520's... can't beat them.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    7 pages so I have not read them all....... I highly suggest Badlands backpacks. AWESOME company and warranty. I have some higher end packs and the one I bought to use for hunting from them blows them away in comfort. If you get a chance check out their sight and read about their warranty...........

Badlands Backpacks - All Gear

The pack I got is under the hypervent series. It is the diablo. very cool and comfy!

Gander Mountain and many other stores put these on clearance about this time of the year. I picked mine up for $90 OTD

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I have a gregory z30 pack. Love it, but it might be a bit out of your price range. (they are around $130.) Something to be said for buying once, but then again buying cheap ain't bad if you're just not sure. Also, I seem to remember you have kids. If you end up buying a cheaper pack and then later getting a more expensive pack you can always set the cheaper one aside for your kiddos.
    You could try a jansport or a Kelty. These are two brands that while not on top are decent brands that represent a good value. (You should be able to find them in your >$100 range.
    I was recently at Target and I found a Kelty backpack on clearance for $30. (Marked down from $60.) You might find one near you. But I should add it's probably bigger than what you're looking for. It's 43L.
    Make sure to measure you back. It really will make a difference to how the pack fits, and feels over a long day hike.
    Seems to me that what you're describing is a 20 to 30 liter pack.
    I can do a one night trip in my Z30 if I pack really lite. (No extras, and sleep in a hammock not a tent.)
    I can't wait for the REI.
    Rusted Moon is very cool and pricing is reasonable.
    Backcountry.com is very cool. Love the way people rate their products. It helps to make it feel like a community.
    Quest outdoor in Louisville if you ever get down that way. They have three stores and are a pretty big mom and pop store. They have really good pricing.
    If you ever want to try any of my packs just let me know.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    Osprey Talon... You will not find a better performing pack for the money. Or try a GoLite. What I would do, wait til summer when REI comes in on the North Side, and Try some of the REI Line (REI pinnacle is a nice one).

Oh yes, that reminded me of my other favorite pack! GoLite Speed. The pack weighs about 2 pounds empty and has considerable capacity. Mine has hundreds of miles on it and shows no signs of wear. Fantastic packs. Mine is an older model made of some sort of SilNylon - looks like there is a newer version of this pack out now that weighs more (?).

I use it when the Arc'Teryx RT25 isn't quite big enough. 18# 3-day loads are perfect in a pack like the GoLite Speed.

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Evan, I've been using a Kelty Redwing 2650 for almost 3 years and I couldn't be happier with it. Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack This is my day bag(GHB), what ever your name for it. I use it on weekend trips, camping, hiking, have used it while biking. The backpack has held up EXTREMELY well, and it's still going strong. If it's in the size your interested in and want to take a look at how it looks after 3 years, let me know and we'll meet up.

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Done, and done.

Here's my suggestion, lol. Just the right size for a daypack/short hike. Plenty of room for picnic lunch, dry clothes, couple knives, anything you might need. :yesway:

_IGP6680.jpg

Top Bottom