• ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    :laugh:....yep, like that

it's money well spent.....take it from grunts who's job was practically to hump 100lbs of gear over crappy terrain all day...You'll LOVE these packs...I haven't tried their civilian stuff, but they designed the ILBE that I beat the hell out of all the time on duty and off...and I love the things....the used ILBE stuff is a bit cheaper than brand new civilian stuff though I would imagine....and that's why I buy them...regardless, they're worth the money

No doubt. Honestly, the Arro 22 I bought at outdoor shop clearance for less than half of retail. The Arrakis 40 - once I saw a buddy and what he done to his - I bought at Hermit's Hut in CA. It was a good 40% of retail.

The ILBEs... I've considered trying to get a set off ebay. It's not easy though. There's one heck of a cottage industry - and fervent buyers - for every one of the components of the ILBE. If I ever find a good deal on one, I'm gonna jump on it like a fat kid on donuts. Arc'teryx designed it but I think Proppers was able to deliver a lower price point for the mil contract. Good stuff though.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    And, at almost midnight, a cold beer says that Evan has already measured his spine from the Hip Crest to the C7 Vertebrae.

Poor Ms Rice is asking, "What the heck are you doing?! Come to bed and NO, I'm not measuring your back!"

God love the poor woman. :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    No doubt. Honestly, the Arro 22 I bought at outdoor shop clearance for less than half of retail. The Arrakis 40 - once I saw a buddy and what he done to his - I bought at Hermit's Hut in CA. It was a good 40% of retail.

The ILBEs... I've considered trying to get a set off ebay. It's not easy though. There's one heck of a cottage industry - and fervent buyers - for every one of the components of the ILBE. If I ever find a good deal on one, I'm gonna jump on it like a fat kid on donuts. Arc'teryx designed it but I think Proppers was able to deliver a lower price point for the mil contract. Good stuff though.

ILBE main pack $50 at the 1500...minus hip belt and lid...but those aren't a biggie to me...I'll get the lid, but rarely use the hip belt anyway......you can get sets of them, or even skids off government liquidation for the prices you find on ebay....they have a series of auctions ending tomorrow that I may place a few bids on......I'm gonna order the 3 day pack on Thursday for $40..and it easily attaches to the main....(of course it sucks humping with both packs filled to the seams bursting point)...but they'll take it

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    And, at almost midnight, a cold beer says that Evan has already measured his spine from the Hip Crest to the C7 Vertebrae.

Poor Ms Rice is asking, "What the heck are you doing?! Come to bed and NO, I'm not measuring your back!"

God love the poor woman. :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh: sounds like me and my wife

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    ILBE main pack $50 at the 1500...minus hip belt and lid...but those aren't a biggie to me...I'll get the lid, but rarely use the hip belt anyway......you can get sets of them, or even skids off government liquidation for the prices you find on ebay....they have a series of auctions ending tomorrow that I may place a few bids on......I'm gonna order the 3 day pack on Thursday for $40..and it easily attaches to the main....(of course it sucks humping with both packs filled to the seams bursting point)...but they'll take it

Really? $50 for the main pack? If I loaded the main pack down, I think - without ever having carried this one - that I would still want the hip belt but that's interesting to hear. Especially considering your personal experience with one over a buttload of miles.

After you pick up yours, I may need for you to send me some links and tips to finding one. :D I'm not gonna go snipe your auctions.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: sounds like me and my wife

I spoke from my own personal experience. :laugh:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Really? $50 for the main pack? If I loaded the main pack down, I think - without ever having carried this one - that I would still want the hip belt but that's interesting to hear. Especially considering your personal experience with one over a buttload of miles.

After you pick up yours, I may need for you to send me some links and tips to finding one. :D I'm not gonna go snipe your auctions.

yeah I jumped on it at the 1500....the guy prolly thought I was a little odd..poking through it inside and out, checking zippers and all the usual tear spots for restitching....they don't go for less than like $90 on ebay in any kind of good condition.....they're tuff and worth the money either way IMO....I've had them loaded up, and with little light out while moving at a pretty good pace caught my foot on a rock and found myself at the bottom of a hill.....didn't feel good, and with that much weight after a fall it's a little difficult getting up...but the pack was still fine

those things hardly ever tore or damaged..and not easily at ALL....we would literally stuff them so full of gear that we were grasping the top of the bag and standing on top of the contents while pulling up and jumping up and down...lol.....got more in...but I never had one tear......DEFINATELY want to make sure that the quick release snaps on the shoulder straps WORK though...if one of those fails and doesn't snap/hold....you're gonna HATE life humping all that gear over 15 miles of mountains while holding it onto your back without functioning straps

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I'm kind of a short framed guy...only like 5'10 or 11....and for me the hip belt was just really uncomfortable after a while...I'd start out with, then undo it for a few miles...or visa versa...on level ground it's not bad, but when you're bent over humping up and over steep hills/mountains it starts REALLY chafing your hips/belly....especially with your flak vest on and you're sweating through every piece of gear like you were naked....even through the flak...............but another "tip" for the chafing.....guys would put lubricant...either gel deodorant or that jelly stuff on areas where things ride a lot...shoulders, chest, ankles for boots, and even belly/hips for the hip belt.....keeps it from irritating so much and making your hips bleed

Last edited:

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rusted moon outfitters in broad ripple has what you need. I've got a few osprey packs and compared to military packs... I'd carry osprey any day of the week

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I need more expensive hobbies. :D

Get a JEEP! Why hike over the rocks, creek, and logs when you can drive over them?

:D

8f27ed55.jpg

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I thouroughly enjoy my Kelty 1800 Peregrine in Coyote color. It's my current day hike/overnight/limited SAR pack -

41W2LAGuanL._AA300_.jpg

(Not my pic...I need to take some.)

It's lightweight material and size keep it light on the back, and the pad/mesh design lets air flow to keep the sweat down. Nicely padded mesh shoulder straps will fit over tac vests and body armor too.

The larger size version is the MAP 3500, which is a good choice, and will hold a LOT of gear.

Also, since you're near my neck of the woods Evan, I don't know if it's still there or not, but there was a CamelBak Hawg in Black over at the Performance bike shop at 31 and County Line. It was back on the clearance table by the service desk; I think they wanted $80 for it.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    You just missed a hell of a deal on Grey Ghost Gear, Tactical Tailor legacy pack. $60 bucks and great quality.

I love my ILBE assault pack. And for a bigger pack its hard to beat the ILBE!

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    You just missed a hell of a deal on Grey Ghost Gear, Tactical Tailor legacy pack. $60 bucks and great quality.

I love my ILBE assault pack. And for a bigger pack its hard to beat the ILBE!

Merk posted right, Grey Ghost always has good deals: packs

I'd love to pick up the LiteLock (see post above...)

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Esrice, try the Eagle Brand packs (they have a part of the company where the packs are made overseas). I have an Eagle AIII, that I purchased from Natchez shooting supply for $50 and I have been using it for over two years and it is still in great shape.

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    Esrice, try the Eagle Brand packs (they have a part of the company where the packs are made overseas). I have an Eagle AIII, that I purchased from Natchez shooting supply for $50 and I have been using it for over two years and it is still in great shape.

This^^^
    If I didn't already have too any packs these would be at the top of the list!

Great Price for a super tough bag!

Of course, it depends on if you want a womans pack...
    IMG_1958.jpg

Or a MANS pack...
    IMG_1956.jpg

: P

Last edited:

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    I've heard of it, but never been there. I'll have to check it out.

I hear Indy is getting an REI too.

If you drive to Rusted Moon, be sure you take a small car to park. Trust me, you'll thank me later....

And yes, Indy is getting an REI. Going in were the old Dick's Sporting Goods was located on 82nd Street and Allisonville.

My pack, Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault. DEFINITELY not cheap, but worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!! I figured if I'm buying one, I'm only going to do it once and I'm going to do it right the first time. Comfort, stability, design and construction is just amazing!:twocents:

3 Day Assault Pack | Mystery Ranch Backpacks

For your viewing pleasure.:D
    Mystery Ranch Backpacks | Backpacks designed by Dana Gleason | Bozeman, Montana

Top Bottom