• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Good movie. If you get the chance look up how he was treated after he came back to the states. Some kids killed his PTSD therapy golden retriever. He chased them down.
    [video=youtube_share;aRHTJyuXzhQ]http://youtu.be/aRHTJyuXzhQ[/video]

Dog Killers Convicted For Murdering Navy SEAL Hero?s Beloved Companion | TheBlaze.com

I don't see how he didn't kill them. Amazing self control. I don't know if I could have held back. Especially when they started taunting him.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Found it interesting that my old unit insignia is on the wall next to the door at around 45 minutes into the movie.

3rdmarines.jpg

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I'm very conflicted.
    I do want to see this film (supposed to tonight), but I hate the idea of supporting Wahlberg and his asinine ideology.
    "Certainly, I haven't used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I'd like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.'' ~Mark Wahlberg

Have a liberal friend buy it then watch it with them. Or, sham friend a liberal with an 'On Demand' acc't and watch it at thei'y're house. Win/win.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I watched it last night. I thought it was pretty amazing. Having listened to the audio book, I was prepared to be disappointed. However, when you have the real deal (Marcus Luttrell) actually IN the movie, it probably stays pretty close to true.

I was sent this interview with Marcus, the director and the actor who played Murph. Other than the interviewer being a bit lame, it's good info. And, not remembering any big shootout at the end of the book, I also wondered about the grand finale rescue. According to Marcus in this interview, it was MORE hectic and involved than even the movie portrayed. Instead of the movie being "enhanced," perhaps it is the book that was lacking detail.

Lone Survivor: A Conversation - YouTube

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    N8RV;4722487[SIZE=3 said:

Watching this now... Very interesting. I really wish I had made it when Marcus was here last year.

I was going to wait until the movie was discounted at the Hamilton Town Center theater but I think I will go this week before I go back to work. I want to see this one in the theater and don't want time to get away from me.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Had a lump in my throat at the end. Just sat there with my son for a few minutes while people were leaving. Very emotional movie to me, what those guys went through and never quit. Still amazes me what those guys can push themselves to accomplish and knowing what happened to him after he got back to the States with his therapy dog just makes me sick.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I did go see it today.. remembering what I do from the book (read it when it first came out), and the reminders from the interview above... the movie downplayed Macrus' and his team's suffering. I don't think it was at all over the top; there didn't seem to be too much Hollywood-ing to the story. Marky Mark did a good job in the role.

I hope a lot of people see this movie. It shows that there are guys out there that are willing to do things for their country that are simply unimaginable. These guys are amazing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I did go see it today.. remembering what I do from the book (read it when it first came out), and the reminders from the interview above... the movie downplayed Macrus' and his team's suffering. I don't think it was at all over the top; there didn't seem to be too much Hollywood-ing to the story. Marky Mark did a good job in the role.

I hope a lot of people see this movie. It shows that there are guys out there that are willing to do things for their country that are simply unimaginable. These guys are amazing.
    Yeah, I think it's so hard to get all the fine details from a book to translate in the movie. Books will always be better than the movie for that reason. But as far as a movie translation of a book goes, they did really well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks like Clooney and Damon are out in a WWII movie soon:

reg_1024.damon.clooney.cm.12412_copy.jpg

Are we gonna find convenient excuses to financially support these anti-gun enemies of the 2nd Amendment also?

Maybe just a back in your face "F-you gun owners, I'll spend my money how I want!" ???

I just recieved this reminder of how things might be, could be...
    ...OH WAIT, this is how they really are, within this United States of America...

ConReg_zps18c26c51.jpg

Last edited:

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I saw this the other day with my younger son (14 years old). It was the first time I've seen him quiet after a movie, or at all. We talked about the realism of it and the sacrifices of these brave men. He told me that it made him think about games like Battlefield and Call of Duty. He thought he had an idea of what combat was like based on those games and finally understood why I've always told him that he didn't.

For me it was definitely up there with Saving Private Ryan for realism and for how it moved me. Just a small example - (spoiler alert) there is a scene where Axe has been separated from Lutrell. One arm is badly injured but he needs to rack the slide on his pistol, which he does by catching the rear sight on his gear. That's one of the things I tell people to practice and I appreciated the accuracy of it.

Of course they still had some silliness in there. The piece of shrapnel that Lutrell takes out of his leg makes "snikt" noises even when the little boy is just handing it to his father. Why does Hollywood do that? Has anyone ever heard a knife make a noise when it's just being waved around other than in a movie?

The only real problem I had with the movie (another spolier alert, but not if you've seen the trailer) was the debate over what to do with the goat herds. I told my son that a) no officer worth the name would put something like that up for a vote and b) killing them was simply never an option. It is clearly against the UCMJ and the ROE they were under. My understanding is that Murphy's father stated after the book came out that he did not believe that took place. Of course we can only go on what Lutrell says, it just didn't make sense to me.

I think the only thing they could have reasonably done is leave the goat herds tied up. That still could be interpreted as illegal under the UCMJ but I doubt they would have been tried & convicted for it. Yes it would be cold on the mountain, so give them some blankets or poncho liners and bed them down before you go. Other villagers will find them and you'll have a better head start on making your escape. I realize this is Monday morning qb'ing but I just don't understand how any other choice makes sense.

Anyway, I recommend seeing the movie. It's rare that Hollywood gets so many things right and the fact that some of the proceeds go to a good cause makes it worthwhile.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Just got back from seeing it with my 17 year old son. Good acting, good action, good special effects, good story... I'll give it a thumbs up.

Except for one thing, it brought back memories. I normally watch my movies on DVD at home. (no surround sound) Didn't like the sound of rounds flying behind you... heard that before. And that stupid scene where the guy is walking through the hooch, all those plywood walls, the decorated doors, I swear I could hear the tent flapping in the wind and the generators in the background. OK, maybe it was the soundtrack, but I could smell that "tent" smell.

I remember seeing this on Fox News at the MWR tent in Iraq after that bird went down. Troop loss count on the news was kind of a daily thing for quite some time. Don't remember hearing about a guy making it out at the time, but it's good to know that one did. Good movie, I never want to see it again.

Yeah, it will make you tear up.

tonyb71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    So. Indiana
    Read the book first and then saw the movie. Easy to pick out the parts that were made for the movie. Just a stark reminder of what those in the armed services are willing to sacrifice for the freedoms of others. Great movie!!

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    watched this movie sat afternoon and i still cant get the images out of my mind. i went into this thinking it was going to be like saving private ryan or black hawk down. man was i wrong! about the middle of the movie, i think somewhere around the part where they jumped the 2nd time, i was starting to get cold sweats. ive never been this moved by a movie before. i teared upat the end of saving private ryan and close to it for black hawk down but this movie was different. i dont know if its because i was a little more fimiliar with this story or what but it deffinately had me on the edge.
    now then i have never served in the military and part of me really regrets never doing so, so i do not have a clue whats its like to be in a situation like that. while watching the movie i couldnt help think that if they would of just killed the goat herders those brave men could have had a better chance of getting out alive.i know hollywood has put its little touches on this but i have no doubt those seals were that tough and determined.
    great movie but i may not watch it ever again ......

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The only real problem I had with the movie (another spolier alert, but not if you've seen the trailer) was the debate over what to do with the goat herds. I told my son that a) no officer worth the name would put something like that up for a vote and b) killing them was simply never an option. It is clearly against the UCMJ and the ROE they were under. My understanding is that Murphy's father stated after the book came out that he did not believe that took place. Of course we can only go on what Lutrell says, it just didn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I recommend seeing the movie. It's rare that Hollywood gets so many things right and the fact that some of the proceeds go to a good cause makes it worthwhile.

So, I believe that Mike actually states in the book and the movie that it isn't a vote. In my limited experience, special forces teams work slightly differently than regular military. There is less formality and more consensus. Getting input from your team before making a difficult decision is probably a good idea on many levels. 1. Someone may have a better idea, 2. Even if you don't choose their suggestions, it makes the team stronger to having listened to their opinions and at least appeared to have considered it.

They chose what they chose and it cost three warriors their lives. It makes the decision even greater when you realize that they knew that leaving them alive would put their own lives at significant risk and they did it anyway. These men are real heroes.

When I read the book three years ago, I teared up when Axe died. In the movie it was for Mike. At the end, everyone just sat there and watched the tribute. No clapping, nothing; just Respect.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    bwframe- I made no excuses to see the movie. It was very compelling and seems to have brought to fore, again, of the sacrifices our service members make.

Hoosier8- More than one of the SEALs I came into contact with over the 3 years I spent in Iraq carried 92's. As well as Glock 19's. Just sayin'

Bob

Top Bottom