KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You can leave them, but they're still there. You can't delete them like you can with a Skype conversation. Best you can do is "hide" them.

Yes the audio is fine, but no better than Skype. I refuse to use the video feature (have tape over my camera plus I keep the camera disabled on my computer). A handful of people use it on our team but if they move slightly to one side or another, they fade out, largely because they're using a fake background that seems to work like a "green screen" for weather people on tv. I don't need to see people to hear them.

My coworkers see me (my avatar) as this.

grumpy-old-man.jpg
    Teams... it's from Microsoft, nuff said. I use a docked laptop at work so I'm audio-only. Working from home the camera is covered unless it really needs to not be covered.

The pandemic and Teams have driven WAY too many Teams meetings. My bosses get hit by this, I avoid most.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Teams... it's from Microsoft, nuff said. I use a docked laptop at work so I'm audio-only. Working from home the camera is covered unless it really needs to not be covered.

The pandemic and Teams have driven WAY too many Teams meetings. My bosses get hit by this, I avoid most.
    I will say I like Teams or Skype better than the old fashioned "conference calls" on phones. I really dislike meetings in general. Especially meetings that last longer than say, half an hour. I think they lose their effectiveness after that. If you need more time than that, write it up and send an email. :dunno:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You guys are talking about two different things as one.

For meetings, Skype sucks. Zoom is worse. Teams has gotten much better, but I still like Webex the best. None of them need video. I also always have my camera blocked.

For a collaboration tool, Teams has come a long way. I hated it in the beginning, but it has grown on me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You guys are talking about two different things as one.

For meetings, Skype sucks. Zoom is worse. Teams has gotten much better, but I still like Webex the best. None of them need video. I also always have my camera blocked.

For a collaboration tool, Teams has come a long way. I hated it in the beginning, but it has grown on me.
    That’s pretty much where I’m at. It’s been a good collaboration tool for a long time. I understand the reluctance to be on video. My employer encourages remote teams to use their cameras for meetings. Not required. Just encourage so that we put faces to voices. Maybe a third of our team uses them in a given meeting. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Depends whether I’ve bothered to put clothes on or not. But I do see with video it does give a more face to face experience when we all have video. And I’ll second that Teams is a better experience than zoom.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We mostly use Teams now for company meetings. Big ones, I keep the laptop shut and in the dock, so no video. Some small meetings, I have to open it up and put the video on. But either way, I think Teams seems to work fine. I just don't like online meetings.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Don't get caught with your pants down like Jeffery Toobin. Keep the camera covered.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That’s pretty much where I’m at. It’s been a good collaboration tool for a long time. I understand the reluctance to be on video. My employer encourages remote teams to use their cameras for meetings. Not required. Just encourage so that we put faces to voices. Maybe a third of our team uses them in a given meeting. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Depends whether I’ve bothered to put clothes on or not. But I do see with video it does give a more face to face experience when we all have video. And I’ll second that Teams is a better experience than zoom.
    This.

I work in marketing so I have my camera on more often than not, but have the option to keep it off and do so frequently. I also have my desk in my bedroom so camera cover is a must. I don't need people seeing any more of home then they need to, especially due to the fact that there may be a pistol on the nightstand, or rifle leaning up against the wall, depending on what I'm doing that day. Long meetings are great for dry fire practice.

I use a slider over the camera that stays shut unless I make a conscious decision to use video.

Teams audio is much better than Zoom. Zoom cuts in and out when multiple people talk which is annoying.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I will say I like Teams or Skype better than the old fashioned "conference calls" on phones. I really dislike meetings in general. Especially meetings that last longer than say, half an hour. I think they lose their effectiveness after that. If you need more time than that, write it up and send an email. :dunno:
    That half-hour thing is pretty much on the money.

Years ago I was sent by my manager to represent the team at a corporate sponsored seminar on productivity. One of the events I went to was how to conduct successful meetings.

They said, generally meetings should last no more than 30 minutes. After that people tend to get fatigued and productivity slips. There are some exceptions. Like planning sessions and the like. But in that case there should be an agenda with approximate times listed and regular breaks. Ironically the meeting on how to have a meeting lasted an hour. :):

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    He had 2 accounts. Thats a :nono: on Ingo.
    If things get really boring around here the staff can create an account specifically to implode over several threads. But everyone has to be really good for a really long time.

One of the recently hammered's behavior led someone to speculate if the Mods were doing this for entertainment. I'm looking forward to the day we can do this!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This.

I work in marketing so I have my camera on more often than not, but have the option to keep it off and do so frequently. I also have my desk in my bedroom so camera cover is a must. I don't need people seeing any more of home then they need to, especially due to the fact that there may be a pistol on the nightstand, or rifle leaning up against the wall, depending on what I'm doing that day. Long meetings are great for dry fire practice.

I use a slider over the camera that stays shut unless I make a conscious decision to use video.

Teams audio is much better than Zoom. Zoom cuts in and out when multiple people talk which is annoying.
    Yep. my home office desk is L shaped. PC on one side, workstation on other. My webcam hangs off the back of my monitor until I need it. Then I turn it around to use it. If it gets hacked, (or I'm Toobening) they get a great view of the wall and some cables. LOL

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If things get really boring around here the staff can create an account specifically to implode over several threads. But everyone has to be really good for a really long time.

One of the recently hammered's behavior led someone to speculate if the Mods were doing this for entertainment. I'm looking forward to the day we can do this!
    WE get enough entertainment just herding the cats. No need to invent any more.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom