Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There was a china buffet in the strip mall on 31 next to Uncle Bill's Pet Shop (might still be, not sure). Went there maybe 10 years ago, friend got a beef dish, found a very small bone... length of a pinky, thick as a pencil...

I don't know of many bones that small in a cow.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Ya, i went to school with their son. Im biased cause he’d bring in free egg rolls :rockwoot:

But honestly, it is about the best Chinese place I’ve ate. (I don’t stray far from home so that doesn’t say much)

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    There was a china buffet in the strip mall on 31 next to Uncle Bill's Pet Shop (might still be, not sure). Went there maybe 10 years ago, friend got a beef dish, found a very small bone... length of a pinky, thick as a pencil...

I don't know of many bones that small in a cow.

Um yeah, some of the guys from the office where I used to work would drive down there for lunch. I was NOT impressed, and I'm not surprised by your experience. I think it is still there, but it is not one of the places I would ever go back to.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I tried Dong's Buffet and I was not impressed at all. I had heard glowing reviews, but it was sub-par as far as Chinese buffets go, in my opinion. Unless the General Tso's chicken has whole red peppers in it, I know I'm going to be disappointed. Really, pretty much everything on the buffet was just bland and tasteless. I'd call it the MCL of Chinese buffets... minimal spices and flavors so as not to upset the senior citizens' palates.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I really miss the Consulate House in downtown Indy on South Meridian near the old Robert's Camera place. I haven't found another one that even comes close in the Indianapolis area.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The worst Chinese food I ever had was in China. Even the stuff that looked like what you’d get here in the typical Chinese restaurant here...wasn’t. Not even close.

They must like bones and gristle over there because most dishes were chocked full of it. The fruit and the beer was good though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The worst Chinese food I ever had was in China. Even the stuff that looked like what you’d get here in the typical Chinese restaurant here...wasn’t. Not even close.

They must like bones and gristle over there because most dishes were chocked full of it. The fruit and the beer was good though.

I used to work with a guy from South Korea and he'd traveled to China several times and he said that their food there is so full of fat that you just want to sleep after eating it. Here, the joke is that after you have Chinese food you're hungry again in 30 minutes. He said that "American" Chinese food is nothing like the real thing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like Thai better than Chinese anyway. I'm usually sweating profusely after I eat it (I always order "Thai Hot" for my spice level). If there was a Thai buffet anywhere close to me, I'd hit that.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I used to work with a guy from South Korea and he'd traveled to China several times and he said that their food there is so full of fat that you just want to sleep after eating it. Here, the joke is that after you have Chinese food you're hungry again in 30 minutes. He said that "American" Chinese food is nothing like the real thing.

He’s telling you the truth. Later on during the week, while they were trying to be good hosts by serving us the delicacies, we (most respectfully) asked if there were any McDonalds from which they could get lunch. Even our Chinese partners were elated when they brought those sacks of quarter pounders in. :laugh:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have talked to a lot of Chinese that own restaurants and they tell me the same thing. American Chinese is nothing like food in China.

The You Tube channels that I get my recipes from are always saying there is really no ( ) dish in China.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK folks give me good old Hoosier farm style cooking. We do a few Chines joints in Zionsville while waiting on the 13 year old to get out of art class but give me properly cooked dead cow chicken and pig OK

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    OK folks give me good old Hoosier farm style cooking. We do a few Chines joints in Zionsville while waiting on the 13 year old to get out of art class but give me properly cooked dead cow chicken and pig OK

Oh you haven’t lived until you get ready to dig into what looks like your favorite Szechwan Beef dish (or whatever) and find out it’s all little bits of bones and gristle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

You can get Pad Thai, Pad See Ew or Pad Ba Mee with beef, pork, chicken or even shrimp! ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom