• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I tried Dong's Buffet and I was not impressed at all. I had heard glowing reviews, but it was sub-par as far as Chinese buffets go, in my opinion. Unless the General Tso's chicken has whole red peppers in it, I know I'm going to be disappointed. Really, pretty much everything on the buffet was just bland and tasteless. I'd call it the MCL of Chinese buffets... minimal spices and flavors so as not to upset the senior citizens' palates.

Being from mooresville, that’s just downright blasphemous. We have 3 things to brag about. Creating the state flag. Grays cafeteria. And dongs China buffet. Their crab rangoons are delicious!

The worst Chinese food I ever had was in China. Even the stuff that looked like what you’d get here in the typical Chinese restaurant here...wasn’t. Not even close.

They must like bones and gristle over there because most dishes were chocked full of it. The fruit and the beer was good though.

That’s funny. I’ve never been out of the country, but a friend went to Mexico and said he hated the food. It was hilarious cause every time we’d go eat he wanted to go to a Mexican restaurant. I guess authentic isn’t all it’s cracked up to be

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Being from mooresville, that’s just downright blasphemous. We have 3 things to brag about. Creating the state flag. Grays cafeteria. And dongs China buffet. Their crab rangoons are delicious!

That’s funny. I’ve never been out of the country, but a friend went to Mexico and said he hated the food. It was hilarious cause every time we’d go eat he wanted to go to a Mexican restaurant. I guess authentic isn’t all it’s cracked up to be

Depends on where you are in Mexico. Those cultures waste "NOTHING"....NADA. It all gets eaten.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    OK folks give me good old Hoosier farm style cooking. We do a few Chines joints in Zionsville while waiting on the 13 year old to get out of art class but give me properly cooked dead cow chicken and pig OK

That reminds me of my old man. He just wants meat and potatoes. Just a plain burger, plain steak, plain chicken... no seasonings no marinade nothing.

When I make a steak I look like a chemist when I’m preparing a marinade.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Depends on where you are in Mexico. Those cultures waste "NOTHING"....NADA. It all gets eaten.

Mexico and Germany are my 2 wishlist vacations. I really like the Mexican culture, and they’re really good god loving people down there (other than the drug lords, but we have those here also). The food would be a bonus. Germany because my family is German. My sister went years ago, there’s a castle named after our ancestors there. Would be cool to visit and see the history, and always wanted to see some of the ww2 stuff. Grandpa was an alcoholic, so I’m guessing that’s where the family went down hill :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That reminds me of my old man. He just wants meat and potatoes. Just a plain burger, plain steak, plain chicken... no seasonings no marinade nothing.

When I make a steak I look like a chemist when I’m preparing a marinade.

Oh we have some chemists on the kitchen staff believe me. Properly cooked means properly prepared also. My daughter and SIL do all the grilling. The spouse and daughter have some very nice blends as to marinades etc.

The spouse has started cooking on the wood stove. Foil wrapped campfire recipes. Tonight it was taters (sliced quarter inch thick) with onions carrots butter and seasonings in foil on the hot stove. She did Salmon with lemon onions and secret herbs and spices in foil next to the taters. Man my house smelled delicious.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Oh we have some chemists on the kitchen staff believe me. Properly cooked means properly prepared also. My daughter and SIL do all the grilling. The spouse and daughter have some very nice blends as to marinades etc.

The spouse has started cooking on the wood stove. Foil wrapped campfire recipes. Tonight it was taters (sliced quarter inch thick) with onions carrots butter and seasonings in foil on the hot stove. She did Salmon with lemon onions and secret herbs and spices in foil next to the taters. Man my house smelled delicious.

Mmmm omg that makes me want a wood stove. Salmon with lemon :drool:

Im wanting to start using cast iron because of the way it holds flavor through the years, but from what I’ve read there are certain types to stay away from... so it’s kinda kept me from getting into it until I research into it more. I started reading a thread here about it and never got through it all, figured I’d wait til summer to start diving deeper into it. Seems like a lot of maintenance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Im wanting to start using cast iron because of the way it holds flavor through the years, but from what I’ve read there are certain types to stay away from... so it’s kinda kept me from getting into it until I research into it more. I started reading a thread here about it and never got through it all, figured I’d wait til summer to start diving deeper into it. Seems like a lot of maintenance.

I put Iron on the stove last fall. Spouse loves it. It changes the way you cook and what you cook with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Not really. Spouse has a regimen she follows and oils them regularly. The cooking results are worth it.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Not really. Spouse has a regimen she follows and oils them regularly. The cooking results are worth it.

Isn’t there something you have to do before you cook with em? I thought I read you gotta put em in an oven for so many hours or something? That might’ve been restoring them tho I don’t know. Do you not wash them normally, just wipe with oil? I really want one because stuff like salmon and steak would be amazing after using it for a while, especially once it soaks in the seasonings, where did you get yours do you remember?

Edit: LOL sorry I didn’t realize I asked almost 10 questions there, this thread made me hungry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Isn’t there something you have to do before you cook with em? I thought I read you gotta put em in an oven for so many hours or something? That might’ve been restoring them tho I don’t know. Do you not wash them normally, just wipe with oil? I really want one because stuff like salmon and steak would be amazing after using it for a while, especially once it soaks in the seasonings, where did you get yours do you remember?

Edit: LOL sorry I didn’t realize I asked almost 10 questions there, this thread made me hungry.

She puts water in them.....fire the burner......loats the crap off the skillet. In the sink for a hot water wipe down. Oils and on the shelf till next time.
    I use them every morning cooking for the terrorists. On the stove. Heat up. Wipe with a bit of oil and have at it. Repeat.

We got most of ours from relatives and friends that no longer used them for what ever reasons. They were pretty well seasoned but we started as if they were not.

Amazon has a good selection as do other sites.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Lodge is the very minimum you should buy. Griswold or Wagner is what you want, but have to find them used, and they are spendy usually. Lodge can work on a budget. Seasoning is easy but does involve oven time.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    She puts water in them.....fire the burner......loats the crap off the skillet. In the sink for a hot water wipe down. Oils and on the shelf till next time.
    I use them every morning cooking for the terrorists. On the stove. Heat up. Wipe with a bit of oil and have at it. Repeat.

We got most of ours from relatives and friends that no longer used them for what ever reasons. They were pretty well seasoned but we started as if they were not.

Amazon has a good selection as do other sites.

Oh ok, for some reason I was thinking the cleaning was some huge pain in the rear. That doesn’t sound bad at all.

Lodge is the very minimum you should buy. Griswold or Wagner is what you want, but have to find them used, and they are spendy usually. Lodge can work on a budget. Seasoning is easy but does involve oven time.

To season are you basically just coating it with something and baking it into the metal, or is it more in depth than that? My wife’s dad gave her one years ago (no idea what brand, was too young to care) and it looked like it had rust so she pitched it. She thought it would give us some sort of illness lol. I’ve read that the rust could have been removed and wouldn’t have been harmful.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Don't like Lodge. The pebbly texture is harder to clean. Much prefer old smooth pans I find at the tractor show.
    Nobody LIKES Lodge, but they’re the best game in town for plug and play. The ones you speak of are probably Griswold and Wagner, and way harder to come by at a much higher price. Enough seasoning and use, Lodge gets smooth too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nobody LIKES Lodge, but they’re the best game in town for plug and play. The ones you speak of are probably Griswold and Wagner, and way harder to come by at a much higher price. Enough seasoning and use, Lodge gets smooth too.

There is an ingo member the buys lodge and smooths them out. They are pretty slick when he gets done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom