• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So let me get this straight... the piracy sites (illegal) are blocking Win 10 users because the software "spies" (not illegal) on them? Is that what they're saying? :):

Not every torrent on a torrent-hosting site is illegal though. Like punishing all gun owners for a few bad apples... torrenting is a very efficient way to move a lot of data around.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Another way to look at it is that they've become concerned that Win10 has become a tool of the government. They really couldn't care less if Microsoft knows that people are sharing files.

Ah, the plot thickens... :shady:

Not every torrent on a torrent-hosting site is illegal though. Like punishing all gun owners for a few bad apples... torrenting is a very efficient way to move a lot of data around.

Well, bw's link specifically said "piracy sites" so I assumed that meant the illegal usage was what was being addressed. (I didn't go to the link, so it may have been explained further there.)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So let me get this straight... the piracy sites (illegal) are blocking Win 10 users because the software "spies" (not illegal) on them? Is that what they're saying? :):

I dunno? :dunno:
    I'm just running it by you smart guys. The link came to me in a newsletter from How-To Geek.
    If the torrent sites are concerned about privacy issues with Win10, is that an indication the general public should be too?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, flash keeps giving me the PSH window about how it's now the biggest security hole ever or somesuch, and I simply must update it immediately or hackers will come around to dig up my bushes and kick my dog, but I gave up trying to update it after several failures both windoze and linux.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    True, but the way it's used is what's important. That and someone will write some program that's locked into an old, unsecure version of Java and never update it. Then someone receives a phishing email that exploits that older code and everyone wonders why InfoSec can't keep all the bad guys out of their systems.

I work in IT, whenever someone asks me about new ERP one of my first questions is "Does it in any way depend on Java" and if it does it's an automatic disqualifier.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    After 2 weeks with Win 10, I've gone back to Win 7 on my Acer netbook. The problems I was having have disappeared. My desktop PC seems to have no issues with Win 10.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I found out that windows 10 is not compatible with my laptop. I was surprised because my laptop is the one who kept telling me to switch to 10.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Im still waiting for my update to be ready.

No need to wait. There are several ways to force the upgrade. There are a couple of different ways. One involves cleaning up a software distribution directory and issuing a command that forces windows update to run. If that doesn't work there is a registry key creation method. Neither is hard, check here for more info: Windows 10 Error Code 80240020

I had a couple of machines I had to go this route on.

After the upgrade, my keyboard stopped working. Also, java would not run with 10. Upon further research, Toshiba ( my laptop brand) does not list my model under their "win 10 compatible " devices.

Hmm... interesting. I wonder if it is as simple as updating some drivers on the keyboard issue. Also, did you try and update java? I can't see the java issue being a problem beyond updating the version possibly.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Hmm... interesting. I wonder if it is as simple as updating some drivers on the keyboard issue. Also, did you try and update java? I can't see the java issue being a problem beyond updating the version possibly.

Yes everything was updated. Windows Update had nothing else for me and the toshiba service pack got most of my keyboard running except the numbers and space bar. I even spoke w Toshiba, who just referred me to their "paid" troubleshooting. Again, Google revealed that win 10 is not compatible with my laptop (Toshiba model satellite l775d-s7305)

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010

No driver updates or patches as of yet. I checked yesterday.

Top Bottom