• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No driver updates or patches as of yet. I checked yesterday.

Have you compared the driver version on your machine for the keyboard to any updated versions that Toshiba may have on its site?

Often there is something that will work. Most of the time compatibility is determined by what the vendor has decided to test, not what actually works. And only drivers that the OEMs have decided to make available through Windows update are available there. Often there are additional drivers on their sites. In this case the keyboard may or may not be a product of Toshiba, and there may or may not be an updated version of the driver by the actual keyboard producer. Many drivers that worked with Win 7 will work with 10.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Did you go to java.com for the java update?

I forgot, if you are running the Edge browser:

"On Windows 10, the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and therefore will not run Java. Switch to a different browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer 11) to run the Java plug-in. More info"

I don't run Edge, I either use Firefox or you can still use IE. I'm assuming you took the express setup options and let it make Edge the default. You can change that in Settings, System, Default Apps, I believe.

Your other browsers should run Java fine.

If oyu can't find Internet Explorer, just type it in the search bar next to the windows button. You can then righ click and pin it to start, task bar or both.

Hope that helps.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I forgot, if you are running the Edge browser:

"On Windows 10, the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and therefore will not run Java. Switch to a different browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer 11) to run the Java plug-in. More info"

I don't run Edge, I either use Firefox or you can still use IE. I'm assuming you took the express setup options and let it make Edge the default. You can change that in Settings, System, Default Apps, I believe.

Your other browsers should run Java fine.

If oyu can't find Internet Explorer, just type it in the search bar next to the windows button. You can then righ click and pin it to start, task bar or both.

Hope that helps.

That's something I didn't think of..thanks for your input!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Apparently, Microsoft is now automatically downloading the Windows 10 install to Win7/8 machines even if you haven't requested it as part of their monthly "patches". These patches are deviating more and more from fixes to become whatever MS wants to install on your system, including patches that monitor your activities on Win7/8. If you are on a more constrained device, this can eat a substantial part of your disk space. I've already applied the updates mentioned below, so I didn't get this download.

Windows 10 sends a massive amount of data back to Microsoft on your activities. If you are interested in privacy, but still want to use Win10, then you will want to use the following instructions to minimize (not eliminate) the data sent back.

Fix Windows 10 Privacy

Edit: I'm also reading where people who are updating via limited Internet connections (cell phone tethering, etc) are blowing their data limits. Thanks Microsoft!

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Apparently, Microsoft is now automatically downloading the Windows 10 install to Win7/8 machines even if you haven't requested it as part of their monthly "patches". These patches are deviating more and more from fixes to become whatever MS wants to install on your system, including patches that monitor your activities on Win7/8. If you are on a more constrained device, this can eat a substantial part of your disk space. I've already applied the updates mentioned below, so I didn't get this download.

I uninstalled KB3035583 and that stops any windows 10 update (for people who don't want to update to W10). You can search this on programs in control panel, then click installed updates and type this number. After uninstall, when it appears again, just hide the update by right click.

I'm sticking with 8.1 and 7 for now until all this mess/bugs are fixed.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Does anybody have a procedure to uninstall the spyware/malware they've patched into 7? I suspect I got bit when I had to reboot and it installed something like 144 patches/updates.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Does anybody have a procedure to uninstall the spyware/malware they've patched into 7? I suspect I got bit when I had to reboot and it installed something like 144 patches/updates.

I would say to try the link that I have above, which covers privacy in Win10 as well as the updates in Win7/8, but I'm getting errors accessing it right now. Their instructions are good. Not sure when the site will be back up.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, looks like I don't have them yet then, just have to intercept them before I'm infected. I'll probably wind up on my 7 box in the next week or so.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Interestingly, I installed Spybot Search and Destroy and it disabled MS Defender. I didn't know if it screwed something up, so I checked Windows 10 for Dummies and it recommended not running two anti virus programs simultaneously.

So it's Spybot or Defender, but not both.

Any thoughts on using one or the other?

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Some good info on opt-out: How To Stop Windows 10's Spying Ads | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Trying to decide if I want to do the upgrade, since I'm on a home-built PC. The Surface Pro 3 I got from work has had some definite issues, and if MS can't get it right on the devices they build themselves......
    I upgraded to 10 and it caused a lot of problems. I Uninstalled it which caused even more problems. So many problems, in fact, that I actually had to replace my laptop.

I bought one with win 8.1 and avoided the systems with win 10 installed.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am currently dual booting Win10 and Slackware on my laptop. I am getting close to deleting Windows completely. I may dual boot Kali and Slack.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I upgraded to 10 and it caused a lot of problems. I Uninstalled it which caused even more problems. So many problems, in fact, that I actually had to replace my laptop.

I bought one with win 8.1 and avoided the systems with win 10 installed.

You replaced your hardware because your software wasn't working? That's like buying a new gun because your ammo sucks.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you've upgraded to Win10 and are happy enough with it, you might want to use the following guide to clean up all of the old, unused OS and misc files. In their sample, they freed up 27GB of storage.

Recover Storage and Clean Up After the Windows 10 Upgrade | HotHardware

This has been one of my biggest frustrations with Microsoft updates, that they don't completely clean up after themselves and leave unused and unneeded junk on your computer. You would think that after all these years they would learn how to down load their constant fixes and clean up unused and obsolete files?

Top Bottom